Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Couldn't agree more. I'm on the fence about a lot of the shareholder vote stuff, but will be definitely voting against moving to Texas.

People keep talking about some politically-motivated judge in the Delaware compensation case, but that's just hard to believe when 68% of fortune 500 companies incorporate there and 79% of IPOs happen there(Annual Report Statistics - Division of Corporations - State of Delaware ). You incorporate in Delaware because it's a known entity with a ton of experience and case law handling arcane corporate situations. There's no guarantee that Tesla would have gotten a different result in Texas, nor that they won't get bitten by some other corporate edge case once they move.
Lies, damned lies, and statistics. Hilarious you use incorporation statistics to back your opinion. It has zero relevance as to why Tesla is trying to move. Illogical vote against the move. What a fail.

And not to mention that Texas just signed a new “business court system” into law that doesn’t begin until September 2024. No case law. Tesla is walking into an unknown court system just because the Board screwed up the 2018 comp negotiations and Elon had his feelings hurt.
If Texas screws their first big company, no other company will even consider Texas. I think it’s a reasonably low risk move.

New Zealand was one of the first in the world to embrace radical free trade policies starting in the mid-1980s, eliminating nearly all subsidies and import tariffs.

Decimated the domestic manufacturing sector, never recovered.
And the people of New Zealand are probably better off. Lower prices, good availability of goods, and the job loss was probably a very small percentage of the work force. Higher tariffs across the board for the US would add only one job per every 300 or 400 people, and the higher inflation would affect everyone. Tariffs are economicly foolish but popular with voters.

Last edited:
And Texas still does not alloy Tesla to sell in the state. According to Texas regulators, it's illegal for automobile manufacturers to sell new cars directly to Texans. And, Texas is one of 17 states where automakers cannot sell directly to consumers.

What is the big fascination of having Tesla incorporated in Texas. Elon should have chosen Nevada, even though Tesla set up shop in Texas, they still can not operate in Texas, how back*ss backwards do you have to be. And let’s not even get started on their laws that totally disregard woman’s rights and their own body’s.

Sure, I am not happy that Delaware screwed with Elon’s compensation package, that he certainly earned, and let a person with 9 shares dictate an approved plan...but there is an appeal process. If you want to incorporate In another state, pick one that might actually be friendly to your business. Texas is not that state.
Just anecdote. I live about 45 minutes from Giga Austin. They got a beautiful plot of land, right next to a toll way where cars rarely travel at less than 90 mph. $2 toll to go 50 miles either way. Never heard of Texans or any authority around here causing troubles for Tesla.

The dealership law existed long before Tesla. its continued existence surely is a shame, but saying Texas is anti Tesla and anti Musk just because we havent been able to get rid of that is a bit of a stretch. In my mind, Texas is a place where people can get stuff done without getting bogged down by bureaucracy. Texans love Tesla cuz it brings jobs.

Most CEOs keep a very very low profile politically, and also most CEOs have nowhere near the wealth of Elon. The combination of his political stance and being so wealthy was like catnip to an activist judge. Most fortune 500 companies have very boring CEOs who never need to care about the activism of a judge targeting them.
You have zero evidence here.

Lies, damned lies, and statistics. Hilarious you use incorporation statistics to back your opinion. It has zero relevance as to why Tesla is trying to move. Illogical vote against the move. What a fail.

It's not hilarious, illogical or a "fail". Vote how you want but you don't need to be a jerk.

Tesla's moving because they don't like the Delaware decision. That's fine. I'm pushing back against 2 things:
* that it was politically motivated. The fact that Delaware has captured so many of the largest incorporations in the US, whose owners surely fall along a wide swath of the political spectrum, doesn't lend much credence to Elon/Tesla being singled out here for political reasons.
* that things will be any easier or better in Texas. This is a total wildcard and not at all guaranteed because there's just far less precedent.

it the spirit of fairness, lets not forget DE is not all bad
Screenshot_20240525_112846_Chrome.jpg

However, Im still voting yes to move to Texas. The simple fact that a judge can overturn a 6 year old contract that has already been fulfilled to everyone's satisfaction just spat in the face of shareholder autonomy.

There is only one group of people who are allowed to beat up Elon Musk and thats us!

Last edited:
It's not hilarious, illogical or a "fail". Vote how you want but you don't need to be a jerk.

Tesla's moving because they don't like the Delaware decision. That's fine. I'm pushing back against 2 things:
* that it was politically motivated. The fact that Delaware has captured so many of the largest incorporations in the US, whose owners surely fall along a wide swath of the political spectrum, doesn't lend much credence to Elon/Tesla being singled out here for political reasons.
* that things will be any easier or better in Texas. This is a total wildcard and not at all guaranteed because there's just far less precedent.
Delaware used to be as you say. This anti-corporate business is Delaware’s new direction. Tesla is not the only company leaving.

Most CEOs keep a very very low profile politically, and also most CEOs have nowhere near the wealth of Elon. The combination of his political stance and being so wealthy was like catnip to an activist judge.

Do you have any examples of other decisions by the judge that would be considered activist?

Because usually I see people use that name for a judge when they don't like one specific decision, having 0 idea whatsoever about any other case they ever decided.... But there's rare instances where that's not true and they can actually support the claim with legit sourced info.... and I'm curious which one it is for you?

(none of which should be read as my agreeing with this specific decision BTW- just that historically DEs courts have been exceedingly fair and rational, and I'm not personally aware of any other cases from this specific judge that read otherwise to label them anything other than someone who, in this specific case, took a reading of the law many - myself included - disagree with).

Last edited:
To get back to the facts regarding superchargers...

Here is a list of annual number of supercharger locations and stalls with annualized growth rates:
View attachment 1050433
Now it is immediately obvious growth rates have been declining since 2020. However installs have been steadily increasing by a couple thousand (+/- give or take) new connectors each year. Last I saw, each supercharger takes about $40k to make, so when Elon says $500M, we can infer over 11k new superchargers in 2024. So who here is concerned about this? No one? Good. So let's not act like it's of any concern. Moving along...
That is good news of course, but I wonder how many will be in the US and Canada as those were the target teams for dismissal.

I haven’t seen any indication of new permits on the supercharger.info site since the dismissal event…or maybe I don’t know how to read it.

Not an expert.

Just anecdote. I live about 45 minutes from Giga Austin. They got a beautiful plot of land, right next to a toll way where cars rarely travel at less than 90 mph. $2 toll to go 50 miles either way. Never heard of Texans or any authority around here causing troubles for Tesla.

The dealership law existed long before Tesla. its continued existence surely is a shame, but saying Texas is anti Tesla and anti Musk just because we havent been able to get rid of that is a bit of a stretch. In my mind, Texas is a place where people can get stuff done without getting bogged down by bureaucracy. Texans love Tesla cuz it brings jobs.
Hopefully one day the dealership cartel can be overthrown.

Reactions: M|S|W
To get back to the facts regarding superchargers...

Here is a list of annual number of supercharger locations and stalls with annualized growth rates:
View attachment 1050433
Now it is immediately obvious growth rates have been declining since 2020. However installs have been steadily increasing by a couple thousand (+/- give or take) new connectors each year. Last I saw, each supercharger takes about $40k to make, so when Elon says $500M, we can infer over 11k new superchargers in 2024. So who here is concerned about this? No one? Good. So let's not act like it's of any concern. Moving along...
So Elon says it, $500 andl you believe that it will happen just like that? This is my first post, hate to be contrary off the bat, but if so I'll impressed how trustworthy people in the forum feel that he is! A good thing! 👍

OT
It did in 2012-2013 when I took my P85 delivery.
The questions from the crowds: (1) who makes it? (2) How much gas does it use?
It was 6 months before I saw another S in the wild...
Even in 2015 with my P85D I had those questions. from a Charlotte, NC query, asked while Supercharging at a newly comisioned site : "How much gas does it use? Only electricity, like right now", "...but how do they get gas down that tiny hose?" Questioner could not accept reality. Back in 2012 in Sausalito, CA with a new Model S85 I was accosted by crowds, led by a young man who proudly said he worked for Tesla, leading a small crowd.
Those ended pretty much by 2016 or so, IIRC.

Elon has 184.7 million followers on twitter. I thought it was absolutely, stunning, clearly, hugely obvious that this makes him more vocal a CEO than any other fortune 500 CEO, but feel free to show me the social media profiles of more high profile ones.
I'm talking about evidence of wrongdoing or bias from the judge.

it the spirit of fairness, lets not forget DE is not all bad
View attachment 1050476
However, Im still voting yes to move to Texas. The simple fact that a judge can overturn a 6 year old contract that has already been fulfilled to everyone's satisfaction just spat in the face of shareholder autonomy.

There is only one group of people who are allowed to beat up Elon Musk and thats us!

The "...everyone's satisfaction..." comment is not true.

I think the first time this was voted on back in 2018, around 30% rejected the proposal so it wasn't that ALL shareholders wanted this actually. I suppose that's the downside of any public company and possibly/maybe why SpaceX, Boring, Neural Link, xAI, etc will never go public, especially with companies able to tap secondary markets to sell stock without a public offering now. That's just the negative/downside of any public corporation now.

It's similar to how all of society is now pretty much, should the non-majority be silenced or have no voice just because say, 51% wants one thing and folks assume that's what everyone wants when people say the shareholders have spoken? You can look at this with how things are in CA, TX, FL pretty much any country/state/vote, but it's not true that 100% shareholders supported the comp plan, even back then. If more people wanted to file suit, you could have Uncle Leo with his millions of shares file a suit too (when people bring up that pathetic 9 share owner brought the suit).

I guess the answer from folks here is then for the "winners" of a close vote, to say, well, if you didn't get your way, just sell the stock (or move out of the state), but my only reason for replying is that no, it wasn't a unanimous choice for a fairly large amount of shareholders, even back then.

To combine posts here:
I think Delaware also doesn't tax intellectual property so moving will force Tesla to pay a few hundred million in profits I've read a while back. There is probably valid reasons that DE is known to be pretty business friendly and why the majority of companies are incorporated there, but shareholders can have their say soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShareLofty
Do you have any examples of other decisions by the judge that would be considered activist?

Because usually I see people use that name for a judge when they don't like one specific decision, having 0 idea whatsoever about any other case they ever decided.... But there's rare instances where that's not true and they can actually support the claim with legit sourced info.... and I'm curious which one it is for you?

(none of which should be read as my agreeing with this specific decision BTW- just that historically DEs courts have been exceedingly fair and rational, and I'm not personally aware of any other cases from this specific judge that read otherwise to label them anything other than someone who, in this specific case, took a reading of the law many - myself included - disagree with).
If you refer to the many posts beck when these events were twos you'll read all about the changes in Delaware Chancery Court procedures and approach in the last few years. It was very well documented here and elsewhere. I, for one, do not want to repeat all that for people who will not do the very basic research for themselves. Your favorite search engine can find all about it, including the specific judge in question and the policies regarding class actions that changed to favor plantiffs.