Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seeing as how I can't share this anywhere else - my cost per share (and date acquired) of my remaining brokerage TSLA shares:

Screenshot 2024-06-18 at 12.41.27 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-06-18 at 12.44.57 PM.png

Pretty surprising that Ford & GM are missing from the top-10 "most American" list...

The 2024 top 10 in order were: Telsa Model Y, Honda Passport, Volkswagen ID.4, Tesla Model S, Honda Odyssey, Honda Ridgeline, Toyota Camry, Jeep Gladiator, Tesla Model X, and Lexus TX.

Article likely behind paywall...
I have a hard time giving these list much credence without understanding a lot more about how exactly the numbers are derived. Last year Tesla had 4 out of the top 5 spots, and this year the top spots are much more diverse — so what changed? Cars.com mentions changes to workforce calculations, so there’s indexing and weighting and who knows what else going into the stats.

I'm less excited about the bot than I am by the Tesla semi and whatever gets revealed on 8/8. Also the rollout of FSD to china (which looks quite close now, judging from recent reports) and then to Europe.
If FSD lives up to its promise then Tesla will sell every 3,Y and cybertruck it can possibly make at a huge markup, and other car companies will be in massive trouble. Ride-hailing companies like Uber,Lyft will likely implode.

Really not long now until Q2 production. I think if its even a single car higher than Q1 then that will help shape the narrative. I doubt we get hard numbers on cybertrucks, but it would be interesting to see how the ramp is going.
Very good times coming up.

So you think a ~14% decline YoY would still be good?

Fisker == Chapter 11

View attachment 1057552

I think Tesla is a better run company. That's my $0.02 worth...
Imo this is what happened.

1. Tesla shows up, makes Model S, gets lot of headlines and high market cap.
2. Many people thought that Tesla was not special, in fact Tesla seemed kind of silly.
3. If Tesla managed to get very high market cap while not being silly, then making EVs must be very easy. Just slap a battery on a car chassi and you get $100B market cap.
4. Every startup saying they were doing EVs got sky high valuations for being the next Tesla including Nikola, Fisker, Lucid, Rivian etc. Just mention that you are the new Tesla/Tesla killer and you get billions of dollar of future valuations.
5. Time passes and the new companies are struggling, massive losses and low deliveries and no end in sight.
6. Slowly the market is realizing that EVs are hard and maybe Tesla are not a joke combo or some strange permutation of these two beliefs. EVs are very hard and Tesla is still a joke somehow, EVs are hard and Tesla were not a joke but are now a joke or some other way to deal with this cognitive dissonance.
7. People with some rational sense will see that what Tesla did was extremely difficult, the same thing that made Tesla succeed in the past is likely to relevant for what will happen in the future and we should not throw away the leadership just because we disagree with him on Covid response, Ukraine war outcomes, transgender kids surgeries or some other pet issue of ours.

I suspect there is a significant range of opinions here...but once Tesla has the FSD low accident rate data/statistics they want to stand up in court AND in the court of public opinion, how many months do you estimate before Tesla hits the switch allowing "one of the biggest asset value increases in history"?

They already have, IMO. I call it staggered FSD start and hardly anybody noticed. Sugar the formalities. FSD is here.

You are using present tense. You do realize, as has been covered here, that he already showed up for work. And accomplished the things the compensation was based upon, right? Past tense.

As for dedication in growing the company, you are aware of the dire situation(s) the company was in while Musk was sleeping on a couches (if he had a chance to sleep at all), all the while with no guarantees of anything, aren't you?

If not, I suggest looking up the Christmas imminent bankruptcy situation.
you are also missing the point. Why is Elon the only billionaire 'founder' who needs billions of $ in extra shares to keep working at 'his' company when no other founder has ever held his company hostage like this?!

I'm less excited about the bot than I am by the Tesla semi and whatever gets revealed on 8/8. Also the rollout of FSD to china (which looks quite close now, judging from recent reports) and then to Europe.
If FSD lives up to its promise then Tesla will sell every 3,Y and cybertruck it can possibly make at a huge markup, and other car companies will be in massive trouble. Ride-hailing companies like Uber,Lyft will likely implode.

Really not long now until Q2 production. I think if its even a single car higher than Q1 then that will help shape the narrative. I doubt we get hard numbers on cybertrucks, but it would be interesting to see how the ramp is going.
Very good times coming up.

Presumably CT sales will be included in “other models” still like it was in Q1, along with S,X & Semi. It should easily be the highest “other models” number ever, and the current pricing on CT should also ensure that its the highest revenue ever as well (not that we will see that separated out unfortunately). CT presumably already sells more than either the S or X on an individual model basis, and in Q3 might surpass the combined number of S&X units assuming they continue to make the current 1300 or more a week and it grows throughout the quarter.

Considering this first CT line is designed for 2400 a week output (125k annually), we cant be too far away from it becoming gross margin positive.