Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey... buyers!

cheering.gif

1. My worry about waiting is risk. At some point a crashing stock will be the main focus and it will put a big dent in Tesla's ability to attract regular buyers that are worried about warranty and service operations.

2. More debt? That would be very expensive as Tesla has a junk credit rating and is already very leveraged. A very bad idea. Any investors who want to buy TSLA's debt can do so now at 8% yields.

3. I think they should raise equity now. They are starving Tesla for capital, that much is clear looking at the Q1 financials, delay in manufacturing the truck and not a single mention of roadster. As was asked on the call, if you have the first mover advantage then why let that go?

I'm a fan of the idea floated here for a rights offering to existing shareholders. Why give institutions a big discount, why not your loyal shareholders. It also encourages people who want to get in on the game to buy TSLA stock, and as has been pointed out.

There's no reason to do it right now. They don't have to pay any debt during Q2 unlike Q4(240 million) and Q1(920 million). Giga 3 is being paid for through low interest Chinese loans. If you took out the 920 million debt payment in Q1, their cash balance didn't drop that much. They're already guiding for Q2 positive FCF. They even mentioned on the conf call that upcoming FSD individual features will start to be release in the coming months, allowing them to recognize deferred revenue(and mostly straight profit).

IF they were able to do something like you describe, a rights offering to only existing shareholders, I would be open to it. But not on the open market, Not for one second when they're guiding for positive FCF in 2 months.

Have any boats arrived at Europe or China yet in April?

I've been checking car.info where Swedish registrations and preregistrations show up but there's been nothing new there since March. Numbers indicate that almost 500 Model 3s were undelivered in March so those should show up as sales in April at least.

Tesla Carriers
none so far

+ ⛴ Morten Lund on Twitter 1st EU ship just left panama

Last edited:
I think they should raise equity now. They are starving Tesla for capital, that much is clear looking at the Q1 financials, delay in manufacturing the truck and not a single mention of roadster.

Elon was pretty clear that capital was not the issue and that just throwing more money at things will not solve any problems.

I cannot comprehend: "What are we seeing that other people don't or what do other people see what we don't"

What am I missing here?

Perhaps it's because this forum aggressively bans shorts and others?

Tesla just had an absolutely hideous quarter. Remember, the current valuation of Tesla was based on promises like:
- 10,000 Model 3s per week by December 2018 (at last financing round)
- 7,000 Model 3s per week by December 2018 (that was last August)
- No decline in S or X sales
- The 35k Model 3 would be a mass-market vehicle (debatable, but it's not what investors were expecting right now).

And the guidance isn't good, either. How is it that they will deliver a record number of cars and yet still not make a profit? What's the path to profitability?

On autonomous vehicles, I was impressed. But I also think Elon has lost all credibility on Elon time. And unlike electric vehicles, there are other experts in this field who have opinions that this is a very hard problem and will take a while.

And it's hard to refute these metrics: Waymo has 1 disengagement per 1000 autonomous miles driven in California during 2018. Tesla didn't register a single one in 2018.

As soon as Tesla can start putting real, meaningful autonomous driving on the road, the share price will skyrocket. As soon as they start doing marketing campaigns around it, or putting local news crews in autonomous cars (like Ford, Waymo, and Cruise), Tesla will start to regain its credibility.

But until then, investors are going to look at the same metrics most businesses are evaluated on: profit. And Tesla just got lambasted and doesn't look like they'll make a GAAP profit this year.

The cash position is also highly concerning. They have 2.2B, but 600M of that is stuck as collateral in the China factory. Another 400M is from the ABL increase in March. If you take those out, Tesla's cash has dropped precipitously.

Cash + Accounts Receivable is Less than Accounts Payable. That should be a huge red flag.

So they have 1.6B in cash today. Let's say they need a minimum of 500M to remain operationally solvent. That leaves 1.1B left. If the average car costs $38,000 to make (implied gross margin of 25% for M3), then they cannot afford to fall behind 30,000 cars in deliveries. That's concerning given that they're now shipping overseas.

I don't understand why Tesla hasn't started an equity raise. I mean, why didn't they just announce plans for fundraising at the investor day or the conference call? "Now might be the right time" is too soft.

he first step would be to go to an investment bank and find an underwriter. The investment bank would suspend coverage of the stock and start doing deep diligence on the company to give it a really good minimum underwritten price. The fact that all the investment banks are still covering the stock is concerning.

Oh it’s not tha

oh it’s not that painful yet. A quick whoosh to 205 would get most there quickly.
No doubt that would do it. Normally a 10% drop after earnings wouldn't be that unusual for TSLA, but we are down about 40% from just 4 months ago. That's quite a bit. Pain levels are already much higher with this drop after earnings because of how much we've come down in just a few months.

Elon was pretty clear that capital was not the issue and that just throwing more money at things will not solve any problems.

well there’s people over in the quarterly earnings thread saying tesla is effectively bankrupt bc of the way they do their accounting with accts payable. let’s see. you’ve been around since 2007...hmm. how many times have you heard this type of story. how many trap-door oh *sugar* runs have there been since IPO? how many head snapping rallies?

this time doesn’t seem different to me. but i’m no expert.

I personally have no issues with technical analysis. I was a professional day trader and used TA a lot, even if it’s only because others base their trading decisions on it. But it is TMC policy that this thread is meant for fundamental analysis and should stay devoid of technical analysis. As moderators we uphold that policy. And today it was getting out of hand with many TA charts (removed) and predictions.

I understand. But the underlying causes for the effectiveness of Technical Analysis are more than the fact that it is used by others. It can also be a measure of crowd psychology and indications that insiders might know something.

If your suggestion is to be followed, then members must really be encouraged to regularly visit the Technical Analysis thread.

Mod: members are encouraged to visit the Technical Analysis thread regularly. Post there too. --ggr. :)

Last edited by a moderator: