Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Musk has been promising a profitable Model 3 for years.

As recent as January this year, he said that Tesla would be profitable and cash flow positive every quarter going forward... And yet Q1 was a disaster, and Tesla is forecasting a loss for Q2 despite record deliveries.

I don't think the market is going to put any financial consideration behind future products until they see the Model 3 profits that were promised.
The concern with TSLA right now is Tesla's cash on hand. It is reaching critical levels which is why we saw so many panicky moves by Tesla in Q1. With enough cash, Tesla doesn't need to turn huge profits, they just need to continue to gain market share and maintain a healthy cash balance. That is what a growth company is all about. And yes, Elon needs to stop over promising. This quarter was a disaster.

The concern with TSLA right now is Tesla's cash on hand. It is reaching critical levels which is why we saw so many panicky moves by Tesla in Q1. With enough cash, Tesla doesn't need to turn huge profits, they just need to continue to gain market share and maintain a healthy cash balance. That is what a growth company is all about. And yes, Elon needs to stop over promising. This quarter was a disaster.

I agree. I'm saying that it's hard to factor in future products to a capital raise when their current products aren't turning a profit.

I think they will raise capital, but it'll be by pitching a turnaround plan, not the Semi/Roadster/Model Y etc.

I agree. I'm saying that it's hard to factor in future products to a capital raise when their current products aren't turning a profit.

I think they will raise capital, but it'll be by pitching a turnaround plan, not the Semi/Roadster/Model Y etc.
Elon can sell a turd and raise $10m capital. He is an amazing salesman. Tesla hasn't been profitable in 15 years, yet they've raised capital successfully. Netflix has been burning cash at a crazy rate, yet they can raise capital. Don't even get me started on Uber and Lyft. Point is, growth company = ez money. If Tesla misses big on production/deliveries in Q2, big problems

People who know more than I should weigh in, because germany is crucial for Tesla growth. Is locating GF-4 in Germany a good idea? Personally I think they'd be wise to produce in Germany with major components sourced from other EU countries (e.g. Chechia, Slovakia, Poland, Spain)
Locating GF1 in US hasn't helped reduce FUD here ;)

Locating GF1 in US hasn't helped reduce FUD here ;)
True, although it could be material that Fremont in in California and GF-1 in Nevada, GF-2 in New York.
From a political perspective TSLA has not located where political support might be material. Grand Rapids does have some techies. One might assume that further locations might well be chosen with political acumen analogous to that deployed in China.

TSLA has matured to the point that political factors now must be a factor considered in geographical dispersion of employment and investment.

Were I advising Tesla I'd certainly be examining such issues. Excluding Shanghai, until now the considerations were, it appears, almost entirely based on net cost of setup. There were some superb choices so far. Frankly it is difficult to argue against deals like Fremont and Buffalo, and Sparks had some powerful features also. For none of the three was competitive FUD a factor, nor has it been for Shanghai.

For GF-4 the story is very different. EU countries are mostly fragile politically, and in/close to recession. German auto companies are threatened. EU emissions mandates are making German business near panic. Tesla can have a positive force as it appears to be having in China.

FWIW, It is probably opportune to think of GF-5 in the US Midwest. Some cooperative deals with other vehicle manufacturers could have positive results too.
Do any of us seriously think that more than one of the ICE giants would not welcome cooperation?

After all, people, SpaceX has not been nearly so confrontational as many assume it to have been. NASA and DOD have been visibly frustrated with the consequences of which Eisenhower warned, the "military-industrial complex". The traditional auto companies, oil companies, public utilities and dealer groups have not been so unconditionally pleasant from a political view. Until now there has been no alternative.

I do not advocate a pollyannish view, but I do suggest there is plentiful resentment of the high-handed demands from autos, oil, gas and their cohorts.
It is time to make certain that self-centered politicians begin to understand their self-interest aligned with renewables while diminishing reliance on fossil fuel.
This, and TSLA, can only thrive when teh public discourse can be changed in much of the world, a few politicians at a time.

Definitely worried about a text battle I had with my dad yesterday. He is one of the smartest people I know (and I'm a surgeon). He is a VERY successful long term investor in the market, focusing on multiple companies, and selling options. He reads constantly. He keeps telling me to stay away from TSLA. That the stock is going to drop more. That Tesla is getting killed by Jaguar and Audi in Europe, etc. If he is getting mislead by the Bear articles, it makes me worry what less intelligent investors think after reading the headlines.
Same story here, I could not convince my in-laws to buy a tesla, they are pretty rich and could afford 10 model Xs, but thanks to FUDs madness (accidents, fire, etc news), extremely anti-tesla and instead bought mercedes, bmw, and worst of all, a ford hybrid! It’s a pretty sad media FUD age we’re in.

Dude, how many Superchargers are in your area? I can’t even see SF on the map because of all the red dots.
Try a bit of magnification. There are no superchargers in San Francisco (although several are planned). But he did say he's on the Peninsula, where there are indeed many. But, as we know, supercharging instead of charging at home or work at level 2 is significantly inferior and a bit more expensive.

Elon can sell a turd and raise $10m capital. He is an amazing salesman. Tesla hasn't been profitable in 15 years, yet they've raised capital successfully. Netflix has been burning cash at a crazy rate, yet they can raise capital. Don't even get me started on Uber and Lyft. Point is, growth company = ez money. If Tesla misses big on production/deliveries in Q2, big problems
I would agree that Q2 has become important. Anything worse than a very mild miss of guidance would be a problem. We need to see that they are unwinding the polarized delivery schedule and smoothing it out. If that pans out and deliveries are as advertised, things will be looking much better. If they hit about 75k model 3 deliveries with ASP around $48k, that would bring model 3 revenue and gross profit to near Q4 2018 levels. The rest is up to S/X. If that comes back up even near historical norms, it will be a whole new ballgame. The way I see it right now, Tesla needs to execute well enough to get Shanghai up and running. At that point, by late 2019, early 2020, they should be in good shape financially. There is some risk between here and there.

think of Twitter as a box and Elon like the chocolates. Or if you’re watching you waistline, think of Elon’s tweets like OTA updates; Christmas presents that sometimes unwrapped are disappointing socks and other times what you coveted most; the next iteration of not-a-leaf blower with duel tear gas canisters.

But never used or abused socks.

In Q1 there were only 500 SR+ produced, those all after Feb 28.

Source?
It's also not cear that ANY GF1 cell lines are dedicated to TE. Reports are conflicting.
Q1 update letter says:
Energy storage production in the second half of 2018 was limited by cell production as we routed all available Gigafactory 1 cell capacity to supply Model 3. Some Gigafactory 1 cell production has been routed back to the energy storage business, enabling us to increase production in Q1 by roughly 30% compared to the previous quarter.

Finally, the 24GWh/yr run rate was for Q1, but recent info indicates bottlenecks have been solved.
If they ran at a 24 GWh rate the entire quarter then Nevada has a new mountain, but made of 2170s instead of rock.