Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's some perspective on ride-hailing as a business model:

Can Uber ever make money?
A ride back through history offers sobering lessons

[...]

Throughout taxi history, the answer to such a race to the bottom has been regulation. In 1635 the number of Hackney carriages in London was restricted to reduce congestion (Taylor must have breathed a sigh of relief). In 1937 the Haas Act introduced the medallion system in New York, putting strict curbs on the number of medallions and driving up their value. Recently the city’s regulators have moved to control ride-hailing, capping the number of vehicles and introducing a minimum wage for drivers. That could become a trend.

[...]

Uber’s long-term goal is autonomous vehicles (avs), which would reduce its need to share revenues with human drivers. On April 18th Toyota and other investors put $1bn into Uber’s av division. On April 22nd Tesla unveiled plans to roll out robotaxis next year. That promise is subject to huge regulatory uncertainty, plus an Elon Musk bravado discount. But many other companies are keen to enter the fray. Expect fisticuffs.​

Try and reserve one and you will see this:

Founders Series Roadster reservations require an initial $5,000 credit card payment, plus a $245,000 wire transfer payment due in 10 days. Reservations are not final until the wire transfer payment is received.

Is this a change from what was posted previously ? If so, is it pointing to the Roadster being available sooner rather than later?

Any chance the recent retooling for the Model S and X included making room for producing the Roadster ?

Certainly true, but even a bright boy might be better off if someone hired a nanny (re: Twitter).

Truth serum time:

Leaving everything else aside, wouldn't you have felt better if a Twitter sitter had a chance to edit out the "True, we may not succeed" comment in his tweet on 4/20?

That's one of the things the amendment to the Consent Judgment may help accomplish.

I feel so conflicted... TeslaCharts liked my tweet...

Marcus Maximus on Twitter
Everyone likes free stuff

Is this a change from what was posted previously ? If so, is it pointing to the Roadster being available sooner rather than later?

Any chance the recent retooling for the Model S and X included making room for producing the Roadster ?
Same as before, Founder's was always 250k up front.

Truth serum time:

Leaving everything else aside, wouldn't you have felt better if a Twitter sitter had a chance to edit out the "True, we may not succeed" comment in his tweet on 4/20?

That's one of the things the amendment to the Consent Judgment may help accomplish.
I'm fine with honesty.

The insurance thing is a bigger thing than I had originally thought. Previously I thought that Tesla will partner with an established insurer like State Farm to offer Tesla specific rates and take the risk for it. However, it seems Tesla is now using a Fronting company (I think it is State National insurance) which allows Tesla to basically offer insurance more directly and pocket all profit net of the service fee offered to the fronting company. Interesting to see how they build the pricing model. (disclaimer: just speculating here)

Could be a small but a growing revenue. Let’s see.

Last edited:
The insurance thing is a bigger thing than I had originally thought. Previously I thought that Tesla will partner with an establish insurer like State Farm to offer Tesla specific rates and take the risk for it. However, it seems Tesla is now using a Fronting company (I think it is State National insurance) which allows Tesla to basically offer insurance more directly and pocket all profit net of the service fee offer to the fronting company. Interesting to see how they build the pricing model. (disclaimer: just speculating here)

Could be a small but a growing revenue. Let’s see.
And it's progressing
We’re working on it. Takes time to get all regulatory approvals. Almost there for the larger US states. At least 6 to 12 months for Europe/UK.
Twitter

Certainly true, but even a bright boy might be better off if someone hired a nanny (re: Twitter).

I disagreed because I feel it’s no way to treat one of the top minds and greatest contributors to this century. Elon gets off on Twitter, it’s his reward. Take it from him and why should he bother? It has to be spontaneous.

Further, I’m tired of people failing to recognise the thousands of positive tweets versus two questionable. Let he who has never posted an error cast the next stone.

IMHO when we see some long term bulls turn sour & sell/leave publicly, it's usually the sign of bottom. Old bulls left, new bulls bought in at this cheap level and huge volume, will start new cycle.

I bought soon after the IPO and I’m still all in. Model S Reservation in the 1500s, Dec 2009. Do I count as an old bull?

Still here, long and strong. Will probably buy some on Monday if we’ve bottomed.

I disagreed because I feel it’s no way to treat one of the top minds and greatest contributors to this century. Elon gets off on Twitter, it’s his reward. Take it from him and why should he bother? It has to be spontaneous.
That is why I propose an app that sends all his tweets for approval by a lawyer. 99% of the tweets will just get approved in seconds - the few that don't can be edited by EM. It lets him use Twitter like he does normally and the few seconds it takes to approve would not even be noticeable.

That is why I propose an app that sends all his tweets for approval by a lawyer. 99% of the tweets will just get approved in seconds - the few that don't can be edited by EM. It lets him use Twitter like he does normally and the few seconds it takes to approve would not even be noticeable.

No, it doesn’t let him use it as normal. The world would know that every tweet we saw had been screened. It’s humiliating for Musk. He’s a grown up and does not need a babysitter. It’s the SEC who are being childish with the hyper-vigilance. Put a babysitter on their knee jerk legal actions.

Is it? I still can’t tell. TSLAQ certainly seems to think he’s for real and one of their hero’s. I do agree, though, that some of his past stuff seems to be more making fun of them... Poe’s law in full effect.
Noo, I mean click his profile. The L in Tesla is actually a capital i. That one only has 500 followers. I follow him because he’s funny. The real Teslacharts has 25k followers I think.

I realized something profound while I was in bed and delusional from a very bad infection in Varanasi whilst on my journey of enlightenment. Funny how history repeats itself while I am in bed recovering and TSLA goes through this. I've found something I want to do in my retirement.

Don't worry, the oracle will still be oraculous, but I will be busy with the other pursuit.

Reactions: Electroman