Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

"Ottawa is raising that to $55,000 to increase the options a buyer can choose and still receive the rebate, which will allow some of the most popular cars, including the Tesla Model 3, to qualify. Tesla recently launched a cheaper Model 3 in Canada with a 150-kilometre-range to qualify for the previous limit, according to Electrek."

And footnote

"
Corrections
  • An earlier version of this story said the Tesla Model 3 would not qualify for a federal rebate. In fact, the Tesla Model 3 does qualify.
    May 01, 2019 10:55 AM ET"
I read nothing to indicate the Canadian government is making changes to exclude the Tesla 3.

They won't stop until Tesla gets 2-3 qtrs of positive cash flow and hopefully profit.
That won't stop them. Eminent bankwuptcy has been predicted continually since 2008. I don't expect it to stop even when the stock reaches the $4000 target. With any luck there will be a bunch of bankrupt shorts.

Question:
With a convertible note, is it better to issue when the stock price is down so that, once TSLA returns to normal, it covers the increase in note value?
The company wants to get the lowest possible coupon (less cash drain) and highest possible strike price (less dilution). The strike price is set relative to the current trading price, so a higher stock price is better for the company. Convertible arbs profit off volatility, so higher vol means they'll accept a lower coupon and/or higher strike price.

Best case scenario is thus to issue conerts when stock price and volatility are both high.

can anyone estimate conversion rate of these new convertibles and what was/is conversion rate of 2025 bonds?

I don't think the 2025 bonds are convertible? Judging by when past convertibles were issued, current SP levels would put the conversion price of new convertibles to around $350?

I.e. if these convertible notes come with a similar anti-dilution hedge it would strengthen the $350-$360 wall of resistance - only robust cash flow over multiple quarters would be able to punch through that.

Well, he did refinance all the houses (mansions) he owns and pay off margin loans using the proceeds from the mortgages. That probably accounts for some of it.

That refinance happened right around the last SpaceX funding round. Make more sense that the mortgaging was Elon participating in that round rather than paying of loans, no?