Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With Short Interest @ ATH, seems 226 is not satisfactory

The high short interest only makes the inevitable rebound more enjoyable. Members of this forum are a stoic lot. The discussion on the way down has been in the main philosophical and moderated.

When TSLA climbs out of this hole as this year progresses, as GF3 ramps, as GF1 hits 35GWh, the shorts will go off like fire-crackers. Something to look forward to.

I know it’s hard for some to do but you must hold on. The autonomous driving future is now. Tesla is a paradigm-destroying tech company that is using cars the way Apple used phones.

Steve Jobs never introduced the iPhone as just a better phone. He introduced the iPhone as something that just so happened to make calls but was soooo much more.

Tesla has something you can drive but it’s soooo much more...

According to Ihor Dusaniwsky, short interest is up to 39.24M shares -- the highest it has been in a year and approaching the highest levels ever by share count (by percent of float it has been much higher, for example in late 2012/early 2013). It is also an increase of 14.5 million shares from January 31, exaggerating the downward pressure on the stock.

Ihor Dusaniwsky on Twitter

Historically Tesla has had a strong pattern of "short low, cover high" with peak shorting when the share price was lowest. I have documented this a few times, including in the post below from June 2017. The same pattern occurred again last year about this time. Pretty amazing.

This time could be different, of course.:)

upload_2019-5-13_15-53-56.gif

Imo, this part should be moved to korea or taiwan. Both countries have pretty well established high tech industry (and cheapblabour) as well as majority of chip fabrication capacities. Not sure why Tesla went to China for this.

I suspect several US company will be moving production/purchases to other SE Asian countries and out of China. Ultimately I do wonder if the POTUS was smart enough to see this as one of the alternatives outcomes with his 'Tariff Cold War' with China. IMO, not sure if he is that smart.:rolleyes:

You have any investments in Vietnam companies?......May be the next S. Korea.

• Helpful
Reactions: madodel
I suspect several US company will be moving production/purchases to other SE Asian countries and out of China. Ultimately I do wonder if the POTUS was smart enough to see this as one of the alternatives outcomes with his 'Tariff Cold War' with China. IMO, not sure if he is that smart.:rolleyes:

You have any investments in Vietnam companies?......May be the next S. Korea.
Some easier than others.
Apparels are the easiest to move out of China. Bags and hats, Shoes a bit harder.

When it comes to Bicycles and scooters it becomes tricky

IC, phones, computers, earbuds, LCDs , it's forget about it.

Tesla hasn't issued any VINs for the refreshed S/X and it has been 3 weeks since the announcement. We are also half way through Q2 at this point. If there are still no VINs 2 weeks from now, the Q2 guidance will be missed badly.

I fear you are right and that it has everything to do with the problems with Panasonic at Gigafactory

Can't be Sparks/GF1. The 18650 cells used in the S/X battery come from Panasonic in Japan.

Last edited:
Now I think delivery Wave was actually a scapegoat for bad Q1. On the contrary, the real reason was not able to achieve the wave in Q1 end. The root cause, of course, was bad planning.

As we can see, so many inventory m3 were unable to be delivered in Europe and China. In a sense, if tsla's claimed goal is to end wave, they already largely achieved it in Q1 because the end of Q1 result(total delivery) is actually very similar to what it would be if there is no wave.

Flat as in, same delivery numbers as Q1 ? I don't think that would be good.

I hope it will be atleast 10k more i.e. 75k+.

I don't have a sense of where things are now - with half the quarter over - Model 3 inventory is low, so must be selling fine. Not sure about S+X, as the refreshed cars are not out yet. May be we'll see another frenzied delivery session in June. I don't think the wave is ending this quarter.

Thanks. S/X is not looking good indeed in Norway.
Not really surprising. S/X are really too large a car for most of Europe. Some (no idea what percentage) were purchased because S/X was all that was available. I don't see this as a particularly big issue because it was expected. Also they are being refreshed so the U.S. ones will be shipped first. It will likely sort it self out over the year.

The only way I think they could buy themselves a couple of years is if Uber and Lyft were to merge (probably inevitable at some point) and sell convenience, as opposed to price with respect to traditional taxis.
Do you mean convenience as in when they never show up? Denise tried to use one the other week but ended up driving because Uber never showed.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
If TSLA is disconnected from Tesla, as some have suggested, what's the opinion on course of action? Sell all shares, but continue to support the mission by buying the products and sharing the experience with other people?

If it were to reconnect with Tesla in the future, how would we know? What kind of indicators to watch for?

The volatility keeps the stock price lower in part by making TSLA look too risky on paper for 100’s of billions of dollars of fund money.

It also shakes loose shares from the hands of the naifs and the nervous. This helps shorts and those that want to slow Tesla down of course. But there may also be large, hardball playing investors who may be trying to pry out much more ownership than they could otherwise get or even probing for control.

TSLA is being played to appear disconnected and unpredictable almost all the time not just to burn people but to scare them off.

The major, enduring upswing will most likely happen, IMHO, when people don’t expect it. I would expect it to triggered by a few hidden decisions and not a public catalyst. I do have my eye out though for a situation that would force the decisions.

So, I only buy, hold, and never sell when it comes to TSLA. Not advice.

Yes, please buy and recommend Tesla cars and other products. :)

The major, enduring upswing will most likely happen, IMHO, when people don’t expect it. I would expect it to triggered by a few hidden decisions and not a public catalyst. I do have my eye out though for a situation that would force the decisions.

Yes, please buy and recommend Tesla cars and other products. :)

Ohhhh ! Care to share, or even hint ? ! :)

• Funny
Reactions: capster
Is anyone else concerned about the pace of sales in Europe? Looking at the first month of each quarter, April far outpaced January, but that doesn't tell us much, as there were practically no Model 3 sales in January and at least the early part of April was boosted by Q1 spillover "in transit" sales.

Comparing February to May is more concerning. In February, deliveries in Norway, Netherlands and Spain (the only countries that provide near real time data), deliveries totaled 1,717. The figures for the three countries in May total total 447 through today (for Norway) and 5/10 for Netherlands and Spain. Norway is the important number; Netherlands and Spain's deliveries on any given day are negligible. So with a few days to go before the halfway mark, we are at only 26% of February's deliveries.

And that's without considering that February is a short calendar month, not to mention that Model 3 sales didn't start in the Netherlands until 2/6 and Norway until 2/13.

It's very hard to believe that June deliveries in Europe will come close to March. And so far, there is nothing to indicate that S/X deliveries will be any better in Q2 than Q1. On the plus side, the US deliveries of Model 3 should be much better in June than March due to the impending tax credit reduction, and Canadian sales will benefit from the new gov't rebates. My guess is that China's numbers will also be up for the quarter as a whole as long as there is no repeat of the February paperwork fiasco. I am a bit concerned that the tariff issues may affect consumer optimism in China and cause some to put off a purchase, but overall, China should surprise to the upside. The number of ships bound for China this quarter, at least to date, indicates that there is not a large inventory backlog.

I suppose there should be some comfort taken by the fact that we are not seeing price reductions, fire sales and other announcements that would indicate a low level of demand. But we're not hearing much of anything regarding sales. Maybe that's a good thing. But the pessimist in me says that when the narrative shifts from production and deliveries to FSD (Elon's comments at Autonomy Day that expenses are all about investments in autonomy, and the statement on the investor call that the future valuation of the company will be driven by FSD), I get nervous that they are accelerating the narrative on FSD b/c there is nothing else to talk up.

TL;dr version: It's a rainy, cold, miserable day in Boston and I didn't want to suffer alone.

Now I think delivery Wave was actually a scapegoat for bad Q1. On the contrary, the real reason was not able to achieve the wave in Q1 end. The root cause, of course, was bad planning.

As we can see, so many inventory m3 were unable to be delivered in Europe and China. In a sense, if tsla's claimed goal is to end wave, they already largely achieved it in Q1 because the end of Q1 result(total delivery) is actually very similar to what it would be if there is no wave.

So the wave ending project is an entire quarter ahead of schedule... :cool: