Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bloomberg tracker demised. Asking for survey. I recommend adding your input.

<b>Tesla Model 3 Owners Survey</b><br>Bloomberg Hyperdrive
So, I took the survey and replied truthfully, but some of the questions seemed to have an implicit bias in them, at least to me. Survey design is hard, whether your goal is to get the right answers or the wrong ones. I would have thought that a company like Bloomberg would actually have the kind of experts that could get this right, so I am concerned that the end evaluation will be publicized as negative. Of course Bloomberg has already shown itself to be on the downside of reporting Tesla so this wouldn't surprise me. A surprise would be if they publish the real results.

Without actually recommending that anyone do the survey, it would be nice if some of us people with positive opinions participated :).

Thanks!. Terrific Article. Another vote for @SPadival comments:
——
if we had the same monthly rate of financial loss in future months as we had in Q1, the several billion dollars we currently have would only last 10 months.

Should actually be..

if we had the same monthly rate of financial loss in future months as we had in Q1, the several billion dollars we have recently raised would only last 10 months.
——-

This distinction gets intentionally missed by the negative reports I have read, becoming “Elon says they could run out of money in 10 months!”. Sure would have been nice to hear something more like “Elon stressed that this this new cash infusion is over and above cash reserves and was raised to increase their growth rate; and that 10 months of careless spending could instead squander that growth opportunity”. Yeah, I can dream.

BTW, I posted a few days ago when I received an email from Tesla about "immediate inventory for delivery" and found lots of Model 3 available in many configurations. I went back and checked the link this morning and the only thing left is long range Model 3 and that looks limited.

I'm feeling a lot better after reading Elon's memo concerning Model 3 deliveries this quarter ....

Cheers to the longs .... been a rough couple of months.

Tesla analyst commentary at Oppenheimer

Tesla shares 'oversold,' says Oppenheimer. Oppenheimer analyst Colin Rusch notes that Tesla shares have plummeted on concerns such as increased focus on autonomy, China/U.S. trade tensions and price declines for Models S and X suggesting larger demand issues. The analyst remains underwhelmed by competitive vehicles but believes Tesla is testing potential saturation at current volumes. Further, Rusch believes shares are "oversold" but that Tesla will need to show strong sell-through in all key markets while improving gross margin for shares to recover. He reiterates an Outperform rating and $437 price target on the shares.

I disagree (unfortunately) as a German.... The ICE lobby here is too hardcore for there to be meaningful policy pushing sale of higher price-range BEVs. Ignore the medially effective initiatives from VW and Daimler! They are as we all know here 3-5 years out, and general EV infrastructure as well as acceptance will follow their pace

Add to that pretty high cost of electricity (around €0.30 / kWh = $0.34 / kWh) with practically no ToU or similar options, and high-density housing situations (meaning fewer single family homes with charge-at-home options....) the barrier to entry is fairly high.

One should rather say: once you are doing OK in Germany, you will for sure have done great in Europe.

Thats a fair analysis. Barriers are here in Germany higher if you listen to the media/auto lobby & government but when you talk to people on streets and I do not mean well informed fanboys as we are the picture is very much different.

People are pretty open minded and want to understand and once they do shift very quickly to Tesla as a very good option to consider. Without viable alternatives visible people have Tesla on their short list. Many strangers did I talked to on streets.

So I believe the government the media and lobby groups won't be able to keep this under control for long and Germans will buy Tesla anyway.

I disagree (unfortunately) as a German.... The ICE lobby here is too hardcore for there to be meaningful policy pushing sale of higher price-range BEVs. Ignore the medially effective initiatives from VW and Daimler! They are as we all know here 3-5 years out, and general EV infrastructure as well as acceptance will follow their pace

Add to that pretty high cost of electricity (around €0.30 / kWh = $0.34 / kWh) with practically no ToU or similar options, and high-density housing situations (meaning fewer single family homes with charge-at-home options....) the barrier to entry is fairly high.

One should rather say: once you are doing OK in Germany, you will for sure have done great in Europe.
It'll be interesting to see the rates Germans will pay to charge EVs. With the Greens gaining power, I wonder if something like cheap midday charging will appear in Germany?

Retail electricity rates are absurd, but wholesale already goes negative quite often. As solar ramps even further, it's not a political stretch to think a public EV charging scheme might soak up that 2pm overproduction.

Last edited:
It'll be interesting to see the rates Germans will pay to charge EVs. With the Greens gaining power, I wonder if something like cheap midday charging will appear in Germany?

Retail electricity rates are absurd, but wholesale already goes negative quite often. As solar ramps even further, it's not a political stretch to think a public EV charging scheme might soak up that 2pm overproduction.

This will go too far OT, perhaps continue elsewhere, but:

Yes, there is a desired disconnect between retail and wholesale electricity rates - politically orchestrated under the EEG mechanisms and “Energiewende” (=change to renewables).

The strange effect is, the lower the wholesale prices go, and the more subsidised renewable energy we have, the higher the retail price will go.

And the Greens are 100% for that and have little will(power) to change it.

Major policy changes need to be implemented for this disconnect to be eliminated.

Thats a fair analysis. Barriers are here in Germany higher if you listen to the media/auto lobby & government but when you talk to people on streets and I do not mean well informed fanboys as we are the picture is very much different.

People are pretty open minded and want to understand and once they do shift very quickly to Tesla as a very good option to consider. Without viable alternatives visible people have Tesla on their short list. Many strangers did I talked to on streets.

So I believe the government the media and lobby groups won't be able to keep this under control for long and Germans will buy Tesla anyway.

Agreed!

And so from August I will become a Teslavangelist too, once my MS is delivered.
Word of mouth is the key here - personal experience, showing the daily useability , etc.

CNN Business: GM and Bechtel plan to build thousands of electric car charging stations across the US

First on CNN Business: GM and Bechtel plan to build thousands of electric car charging stations across the US - CNN

Good news for validating transition to EVs.

A curious bit:
“Neither company plans to put money into this project, though. The two companies will create a separate corporation to build the charging network and other companies are being invited to invest in it. Neither GM nor Bechtel would name potential investors while discussions are still ongoing.”

Same here. I'm starting to see some numbers here in NE Wisconsin.

Are you sure those are model 3's ?

zr5kddwyn8o0xvpqbuya.png

I know it’s not the right thread for it, but just wanted to point out that the Mid Morning Dumpers managed to push SP in the red again.

How much more oversold can it get? :oops:

I really feel that this time, it's not about Wall St playing both sides for volatility and thus to make more money. The stock is so far detached from reality when it comes to valuing the company that to me at least, there's a lot more going on. How drastic this drop has been and the volume levels for the month of May tell me that this is a last ditch attempt to throw everything at the stock to damage Tesla's brand and credibility among buyers. It won't work......as we're seeing demand for the 3 continues to be strong. But those that are against Tesla and want it to fail are very aware of what's coming at the end of this year. It's becoming increasingly more realistic that we are at 1.5-2/week for Giga 3 production by the end of Q4. Given Chinese manufacturing, I wouldn't be surprised to see that volume double to 4k/week in Q1 2020.

CNN Business: GM and Bechtel plan to build thousands of electric car charging stations across the US

First on CNN Business: GM and Bechtel plan to build thousands of electric car charging stations across the US - CNN

Well, well, GM. Decided you needed a charging network after all I see... ;)
TREMENDOUS good news! Any time an apparent victim of Teslization gets on board with Battery Electric Vehicles, that's one less organization badmouthing electrification in general because they've switched to Tesla's side on the issue.