Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The exciting thing here is to get China to start ordering standard plus with some options. By the time those orders are in Tesla Shanghai will be setting up equipment in June/July to prepare production. During the 1st Q CC Elon alluded to 1,000-2,000 per week production by end of year in Shanghai.

hmm, I wonder if there is any way of speeding that ramp up if they get like 200-400k reservations.

Interesting info...

Tesla Order Rate Surges 25% Worldwide, 116% In North America, According To New Data | CleanTechnica

Screen-Shot-2019-05-27-at-8.42.47-PM.png

It looks to me (and many others here) like a lot of Q1 was pulled into Q4, and now it is back to "normal"

Tesla entered the quarter with 2,907 cars in transit from Q4, delivered 63,000 cars, and had 10,600 cars in transit to customers at the end of the quarter. This implies 70,693 orders in the first quarter over 90 days, or 785 orders per day.

With 980 orders per day in Q2 so far, according to the leaked internal email, that is a 25% increase over the 785 order per day rate in Q1. This methodology for calculating orders is adopted from twitter user @vgrinshpun.

For those of you who aren’t familiar with @vgrinshpun, he was at one time a very active stats guy on TMC tracking SX demand/production. He was the Troy of TMC in its early days, I trust his estimates 100%, we use to call him “”vlad” for short.

As I posted earlier in this thread, NOA did in fact, just the other day, slow for two cars to merge thus avoiding blocking the two merging cars.

However, there’s a basic difference between the lanes in the video here and my situation: the two merging lanes in the video are quite long suggesting the car recognized that and knew there was no immediate need to get out of the way or yield, while in my situation the single merge lane was very short and ended abruptly.

It’s also technically the responsibility of the merging car to adjust speed accordingly and you know, merge. Defensive drivers will yield for merging cars. Aggressive drivers will accelerate to get in front of merging cars and jerks will drive like they’re the only ones on the road and happily sit in your blind spot while you try to merge.

A colleague said before the latest OTA, AP did brake hard in similar merge situation, and he really hated it and disabled AP.

After the latest OTA, AP started to behave as shown on the video(speeding through on the left), and yanked the car to the left one lane when the merging car started the merge. So again he disabled AP.

The lengths of the merge lanes probably do matter to AI. May be this kind of system should display the polygons and red/green to the drivers, such that the drivers know how the system interprets the surroundings.

• Informative
Reactions: shootformoon
Is it possible that Tesla hasn't yet determined a price yet for the China made Model 3, and is using this contest to determine/garner interest in the model 3 and find out what price level the market is determining for the Model 3? If I were trying to maximize profitability, I'd do something like this to make sure I'm not leaving any profit on the table by selling a car for too cheap compared to how many cars I'm able to produce initially.

I suspect that Tesla is trying to determine the correct price point to match demand with their expected production levels at initial release. As production rises, they will probably slowly drop prices to match demand as well.

I think eventually with a new chassis. S and X are higher priced vehicles with nice margins but takes long to assemble. I am sure Tesla wants to get those man hours down, and part counts down. The only way to do that is a new chassis. Question is, what is the ROI of doing it now or waiting a couple of years.

Isn't chassis assembly (stamping, welding, painting) highly automated?
Seems like the rest of the component architecture (electrical, cooling, displays, switches, HVAC) would be easier to change, lower cost, and less manufacturing down time to implement versus a full frame update.

Interesting info...

Tesla Order Rate Surges 25% Worldwide, 116% In North America, According To New Data | CleanTechnica

Screen-Shot-2019-05-27-at-8.42.47-PM.png

It looks to me (and many others here) like a lot of Q1 was pulled into Q4, and now it is back to "normal"
This is bad methodology. As they say:
...this methodology will be flawed and actually overestimate orders for quarters in which Tesla started with a significant backlog of orders (a backlog implies some cars have been ordered but not yet built and therefore not captured in the in-transit numbers).​

They entered Q3, for example, with a huge backlog that was not part of in transit. They presumably entered Q2 with a SR+ backlog. They also say:
However, Q1 2019 is not such a quarter since there was virtually no backlog from the fourth quarter​

That's just flat wrong. Europeans placed a ton of Model 3 orders in Q4 that were not included in the 12/31 in transit number.

I don't see how you can conclude anything one way or the other using this approach. Tesla doesn't define or regularly report orders, so it's nearly impossible to map Elon's 50k against quarterly deliveries in the first place. Does the 50k include Model Y? Why not? Also, there's a surge of orders every time Tesla opens ordering for a new variant or in a new region. Q2 had one mid-sized surge, SR+ in Europe and China, and a couple of small ones such as UK opening for orders. Q1 had a large surge from the 2/28 SR intro and price cuts, plus a mid-sized surge from China and a couple of smaller EU markets opening.

I just don't see how you filter through all this and produce a meaningful conclusion.

• Informative
Reactions: izemize
Nothing specific I suppose, just something that feels more upscale than the 3? I happen to love the minimalistic 3 interior but it just seems like higher cost model buyers usually like a little more. Maybe more trim material options, cooled seats etc.
The more I drive my Model 3, the less I want "more". I had to drive a rental Buick for the last 4 days while out of town. Hated, hated, HATED it. Chrome, buttons, knobs, gauges, displays, switches, crap everywhere. Really made me miss my 3.

Dan

I don't see how you can conclude anything one way or the other using this approach. Tesla doesn't define or regularly report orders, so it's nearly impossible to map Elon's 50k against quarterly deliveries in the first place. Does the 50k include Model Y? Why not?
I don't think the 50k includes Y - that wouldn't make any sense in the context of the mail. The mail was to cheer people to produce more 3s, so as such should be talking about 3 (may be s+x if we are generous) orders.

But on the whole I agree, we can't conclude much from the email in terms of actual % increase. We can just say it looks like there are more orders in Q2.

On the S forum, someone who seems to be in the know stated no. Maybe new headlights and tail lights. Not expecting a chassis till 2022, the S body will be 10 years old. The Europeans car makers go 7 years between body changes.
hmm, I wonder if there is any way of speeding that ramp up if they get like 200-400k reservations.

No. This is in ludicrous mode already. It does look like production could start late Q3 or early Q4 though, which is crazy looking back to January's Shanhai swamp.

Would you have first-hand knowledge of this?

BTW, do trolls with good English grammar make more money?
I'm just asking questions! With no agenda or anything, honest!

"Hey, aren't you guize super concerned that Elon might be embezzling money to fuel is underground mole people plans? What? I'm just asking a question!"

One of my biggest near-term concerns now is the Chinese rare Earth issue - I have seen numerous articles reporting that the language in the Chinese press is threatening to cut off supply to the US as a next step in the trade war. This could be very bad for Tesla, especially as they have just switched to permanent magnet motors not only in the 3, but now also the front drive units of the S and X.
I wonder how this would impact Tesla if they were to build the drive units in China and ship them back to US. Might that get around REM export issues?

• Informative
Reactions: Carl Raymond
Is it possible that Tesla hasn't yet determined a price yet for the China made Model 3, and is using this contest to determine/garner interest in the model 3 and find out what price level the market is determining for the Model 3? If I were trying to maximize profitability, I'd do something like this to make sure I'm not leaving any profit on the table by selling a car for too cheap compared to how many cars I'm able to produce initially.

I suspect that Tesla is trying to determine the correct price point to match demand with their expected production levels at initial release. As production rises, they will probably slowly drop prices to match demand as well.

It's possible and possible that initial pricing will be a bit above long term pricing plan. A 20 to 25% cut from today's price will be very profitable, since that will just cut out the current tariff cost and labor and local parts will reduce overall costs. In the short term, why not charge based on depreciation costs at 50% of production capacity and then cut prices moderately as production starts to hit stride. There should be at least a quarter of SR+ backlog in China. Seems like building capacity for China and Greater China region shouldn't happen well into 2020 and that would be the time you drive pricing down to the long term plan.
Balancing pricing to block out competitors and getting big day 1 deposits and maximizing profit on day 1 production would be an interesting discussion with Elon, Zach and their core team. I'd guess they price about 10% above long term plan.
Pros and cons:
Even 50,000 pre-orders is 125 million in cash and assures 2 quarters of production as they ramp from hundreds of cars a week to 3000 cars a week. Less than 50,000 pre-orders could be sold by tslaq as a sign the plant will have no market to sell to.
Aggressive pricing could create 100,000 or more pre-orders and cover plant loan costs for the year and make Shanghai cash flow positive on day 1, but likely leave a couple hundred million on the table.
Aggressive pricing could Osborne more LR and Premium cars, but these markets are differentiated. Probably at least 20% of LR\Premium consumers would be on the fence.​
The wild card is the chatter about moving Y production up to end of 2019. That would leave Tesla short of capacity at least until GF3 is completely built out. I love the idea, but it seems unrealistic and wishful.

• Informative
Reactions: JusRelax
I advised her that, if she doesn't like one ply toilet paper, she try folding twice to make 4 ply toilet paper -- I know I had to, when visiting the Bay Area Mother Ship of my US-based employer in the past. Somehow, the sight of that toilet paper did not make me suddenly want to change employers.

The rumours about employees having to buy toilet paper are apparently unfounded, unless she has very stingy colleagues. Perhaps it's just her bringing more high quality toilet paper, but apparently she does not want to share with colleagues ,-).

Joanne

what a dope!

uh..excuse me

umm.. I'm sorry

this is.. this is kind of embarrassing but.. there's no toilet paper over here

Elon

(from the stall on Elaine's right)

are you talking to me?

Joanne

yeah.. I

I just forgot to check

so if you could just spare me some

Elon

no I'm sorry

Joanne

what?

Elon

no I'm sorry, I can't spare it

Joanne

you can't spare it??

Elon

no there's not enough to spare

Joanne

well I don't need much, just 3 squares will do it

Elon

I'm sorry I don't have a square to spare, now if you don't mind

Joanne

3 squares? you can't spare 3 squares??

Elon

no I don't have a square to spare, I can't spare a square

Joanne

oh is it two-ply? cause it it's two-ply I'll take one ply, one ply, one, one

puny little ply, I'll take one measly ply

Elon

look, I don't have a square and I don't have a ply (flushing and leaving)

Joanne

no no, no no, don't don't, I beg you

p.s I will turn everything into a Seinfeld reference.

1) If orders open per expectations, I wouldn't be surprised to see 500,000 Model 3 orders from the China factory to be announced at the June 11 shareholders meeting.

2) S+X just got their refresh for 2019. There are two refreshes in one year? What is this talk about 400 miles for? They're not switching S+X to 2170 until a) they absolutely have to [which is a LONG way from being true, it's still the sales leader in large Luxury cars] and b) Gigafactory production issues have been solved for the entire product line including Powerwall+Semi+Y. S+X are absolutely at the back of the line for 2170.

Why don't people look at this CNBC hit piece as nothing more than that? It's from Lora K who has written little other than garbage concerning Tesla. Her articles always look "potentially possible" on the day of publication but when looking back you can see how much of her stuff is just plain wrong or fabricated. And just like her other garbage, it's based on claims of interviews with people whose names are missing from the article.