Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed - and it's something that really needs to be solved, because frankly wealthy urbanites are some of the most likely early customers, and EV adoption in cities would really help with pollution. NYC seems to be dragging its feet with providing chargers.

yeah, agreed. there's a bit of unfortunate conflict here -- transition to electric is easiest for people with garages, which statistically trends older, and be more suburban / rural people. meanwhile, Tesla's maximum level of appeal is probably among younger people and city dwellers, both of whom are statistically very unlikely to park in a garage that they own.

providing a means of convenient charging for street parkers, be they urban or suburban, is a problem Tesla has not successfully tackled yet, and it's the single biggest hurdle i have in convincing people to buy one. I have several friends who are amazed by my car and who have gone to the trouble to spec and price one of their own, but who end up balking because they know they'll be parking on the street at an apartment complex or townhome community or whatever, and they wouldn't be able to charge over night.

i don't have a solution, but if Tesla were to solve that, they'd increase sales tremendously.

Regarding street parking etc. Smart cities are starting to install chargers on street light poles etc.

It's in excusable that wealthy/liberal cities wouldn't be pushing hard for EV adoption. It's so comforting to know that Democrats can be short sighted and stupid as well. :/

Haha - nice. I think it's more the 40 layers of insane bureaucracy we have to wade through rather than ignorance, but it has exactly the same effect. You can't even buy a bottle of wine in Wholefoods (or any grocery store) in NYC and they recently bailed on legalizing pot.

NYC may have liberal talk, but definitely not liberal walk. It's literally one of the least free places I've ever lived. :eek:

I like your light-pole comment though, that's cool.

If Q2 is a surprise win for deliveries these analysts that predict stock will go to $10 should all be fired.

Haha - nice. I think it's more the 40 layers of insane bureaucracy we have to wade through rather than ignorance, but it has exactly the same effect. You can't even buy a bottle of wine in Wholefoods (or any grocery store) in NYC and they recently bailed on legalizing pot.

NYC may have liberal talk, but definitely not liberal walk. It's literally one of the least free places I've ever lived. :eek:

I like your light-pole comment though, that's cool.
Well, here in Kansas we just started being allowed to buy bull strength beer in grocery stores. Meanwhile I can drive 5 miles to Missouri and Walgreens sells hard liquor.

I've found that living in liberal/moderate bubbles in red states is a pretty good situation.

Looks like the referral program is 1000 miles again, but will one small diffference from before. The 'original' 1000 miles program had miles valid for 3 year. When going to 5000 miles, they reduced the time period to 6 months. That's good, because Tesla can get that liability off the books quicker. Also, many wouldn't be able to use that many miles in 6 months.

The program from May 30th onwards is 1000 miles, but 6 months expiration. Again, this liability will be on the books shorter than the old program.

China event tomorrow.
InsideEV's May estimates next week ...

The China event will not have any significant postive effect on the SP. Don’t fool yourself. Just look at all the previous events Tesla had. Remember how bullish people were about the autonomy investor day? Unveiling event of model Y, which is supposed to be a bigger seller than the 3?

The China event will not have any significant postive effect on the SP. Don’t fool yourself. Just look at all the previous events Tesla had. Remember how bullish people were about the autonomy investor day? Unveiling event of model Y, which is supposed to be a bigger seller than the 3?
Unless they begin pre orders on a SR China version and are hit with a substantial number of pre orders soon after.

Depends on whether they announce when production starts. They also could release reservation numbers .. if they are in the 100K's .. we never know

+With SR production in volume, I think Tesla can start planning for newer markets in Africa, S.E Asia and South America too

When Tesla was a luxury carmaker, the transition was actually easier. People buying $80,000 cars have garages, which makes EV life a breeze.
I think the "garage problem" is very much overblown. 70% or so of Americans live in single family homes. Of the rest who don't many live in apartments with dedicated garages where they could certainly lobby their building to install chargers (they could even be profitable). Of those who park on the street, many of those could have chargers in the garage at their place of employment.

The Venn diagram of people that can afford a 40-100k car vs those who could reasonably have charging access is car closer to a circle than not.

Tesla's maximum level of appeal is probably among younger people and city dwellers, both of whom are statistically very unlikely to park in a garage that they own.

Statistically also unlikely to own a car. I know many people who live and work in SF city without a car. They don’t have parking at work or at their apartment either because none exist or it’s too expensive to pay for parking.

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: neroden and Jovian
Of the rest who don't many live in apartments with dedicated garages where they could certainly lobby their building to install chargers (they could even be profitable). Of those who park on the street, many of those could have chargers in the garage at their place of employment.

Have you visited or lived in San Francisco? Most places of work do not have garages. If there was a garage, definitely not enough for even half the employees (and many of those spots are taken by people commuting into the city). Most apartments aren’t the high rise type you may be thinking of with plentiful parking.

Reactions: izemize

I think it’s always dangerous to say things in absolute terms like “will not”. How TF do you know? You may be right but you may also be wrong. Tesla has lost a grip on controlling the narrative in the market and it has gotten to extreme levels. Evidenced by what we are seeing in the media, the stock price and words from Elon himself. Tomorrow could be a good chance to take another shot at controlling the narrative and if successful - could help cement a bounce in Tesla. I’m not personally betting on it - but I’m also not betting against it. Let’s see what happens.

No, it seems pretty limited to Wall Street. Seriously, can you reasonably explain why ONE downgrade trickles out daily? It's nonsense. They'll get the price as low as they can, then jump in and pump it and profit on the ride up. It's what they do.
It's always like that. I've seen the same thing happen with AAPL and MU, just to name 2 stocks.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Jovian and traxila