Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And redFay has STILL not corrected his article from this morning, in spite of being corrected in the comments section numerous times. Here's the translated announcement from the companies website:

"In terms of specific cooperation, Evergrande invested 160 billion yuan to build three new bases for new energy vehicles in Nansha District of Guangzhou, among which the new energy vehicle R&D and production base will be built by Evergrande New Energy Automobile Group with an annual output of 1 million vehicles. Production base. The new energy battery R&D and production base will build a 50GWH production scale power battery super factory. The motor R&D and production base will build a production base for motors and electronic control systems that can support 1 million complete vehicles."​

Yeah, the announcement is plans for 50 GWh per year, not 500. Because some bloggers can't do arithmetic: 500 GWh / 1 M vehicles = 500 KWh / vehicle. THAT's a big battery! Lol, l'grande faux pas.

Cheers!

WaPo just published an incredibly FUD-filled article. I can't view it on my PC, but I was able to read it in apple news. Will link in case any of you are subscribers or can otherwise get around the paywall:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/tech...-becoming-niche-brand/?utm_term=.8480fd712ca9

Some gems:

"Jaguar and Audi have each debuted well-reviewed electric SUVs in recent months, which have gained traction in countries like Norway that serve as a bellwether for the electric vehicle industry."

"Traditional auto manufacturers based in Detroit and around the world...know how to appeal to consumers and convince them to try out and buy a new car...plus, those companies have brand recognition and trust built up over decades of vehicle sales.
"

"Meanwhile, demand from Chinese and European consumers hasn't materialize as planned..."

"The 38-year-old software development manager had planned to buy a Tesla Model 3, but passed after finding out the back seat wouldn't fit her child's car seat."

I don't know which of those is funniest to me, but I looked out my window at my model 3 parked in the driveway with a gigantic car seat in the back that I use to drive my kid around everyday and laughed. There's more and it's just as bad as you can imagine.

Yes, as I've been posting, governor signature was just a formality after both the chambers passed the bill unanimously.

I expect some other states to follow suit. The liability for companies is so big that states know they won't try robotaxis unless they think the risk is low.

Ofcourse, when something bad happens, we'll have to see how they respond - that may be a bigger issue than initially passing laws to legalize robotaxis.

Another hit piece on Tesla from the Washington Toast:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/tech...e-brand/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.08432aea06c4

Being tired of all the *sugar*, I took the time to sign up and whipped up a quick comment. I'm sure most of you could write a better one (feel free to do so):

------------------------

One doesn't have to be labeled a 'fanboy' by someone else to realize the advantages of electric cars and how far ahead of the competition Tesla is.
  • Where is Volkswagon's, BMW's, Porche's, Volvo's, or Mercendes-Bennz EV on the market now to compete with Tesla 370-mile range model S? Oh that's right, they don't have one.
  • Musk said that there absolutely aren't any demand problems, and production is pretty good and Q2 could be a record quarter. 'Manufacturing hell' is outdated news.
  • Tesla has service centers and mobile technicians that come to your house to fix any minor issues that might occur. EV's in general reqiore almost no routine maintenance. And without 'huge marketing teams', they still sell all they can produce.
  • It sounds like the writer deliberately attempts to mislead. A quick google search led to this top youtube hit about a mom who fit 3 child-seats into the rear seat of her model 3:
  • Be afraid. Be very afraid. EV powertrains are more efficient and require less maintenance than gas-powered vehicles. Electricity costs are generally lower than gas. EV's are quieter and can provide instant torque and produce no vehicle emissions (Note many EU countries are starting to require all emission free vehicles by 2050 or so). Battery improvements in the next few years will produce price-parity with conventional gas vehicles, not just lower total cost of ownership. Tesla is a leader in this expanding market with leadership in battery technology, power-train technology, high-speed charging, and autonomy and is growing rapidly. And they are a US company.
  • I have ordered my third Tesla. Nothing wrong with the older ones, like computers, they just keep getting better.
  • The Russians refused to sell Musk rockets (except at an exorbitant price). So Musk started his own rocket company, SpaceX, and is now landing reusable rockets on barges. Who's laughing now? I would not bet against Elon Musk.
Thanks for posting. I saw the article on twitter and thought this is a do over from business insider. Please get out there on twitter and share some truth.
The Washington Post on Twitter

Another hit piece on Tesla from the Washington Toast:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/tech...e-brand/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.08432aea06c4

Being tired of all the *sugar*, I took the time to sign up and whipped up a quick comment. I'm sure most of you could write a better one (feel free to do so):

------------------------

One doesn't have to be labeled a 'fanboy' by someone else to realize the advantages of electric cars and how far ahead of the competition Tesla is.
  • Where is Volkswagon's, BMW's, Porche's, Volvo's, or Mercendes-Bennz EV on the market now to compete with Tesla 370-mile range model S? Oh that's right, they don't have one.
  • Musk said that there absolutely aren't any demand problems, and production is pretty good and Q2 could be a record quarter. 'Manufacturing hell' is outdated news.
  • Tesla has service centers and mobile technicians that come to your house to fix any minor issues that might occur. EV's in general reqiore almost no routine maintenance. And without 'huge marketing teams', they still sell all they can produce.
  • It sounds like the writer deliberately attempts to mislead. A quick google search led to this top youtube hit about a mom who fit 3 child-seats into the rear seat of her model 3:
  • Be afraid. Be very afraid. EV powertrains are more efficient and require less maintenance than gas-powered vehicles. Electricity costs are generally lower than gas. EV's are quieter and can provide instant torque and produce no vehicle emissions (Note many EU countries are starting to require all emission free vehicles by 2050 or so). Battery improvements in the next few years will produce price-parity with conventional gas vehicles, not just lower total cost of ownership. Tesla is a leader in this expanding market with leadership in battery technology, power-train technology, high-speed charging, and autonomy and is growing rapidly. And they are a US company.
  • I have ordered my third Tesla. Nothing wrong with the older ones, like computers, they just keep getting better.
  • The Russians refused to sell Musk rockets (except at an exorbitant price). So Musk started his own rocket company, SpaceX, and is now landing reusable rockets on barges. Who's laughing now? I would not bet against Elon Musk.
Great job!

Yeeeeah, don't generalize from Florida.

I’m more optimistic, but accept that there will be quibbling/FUD about whatever Musk is defining as "feature complete" for FSD and the roll-out schedule. Further, I think the regulatory and insurance environment will prove much more compliant and responsive than most seem to be expecting.

@neroden, no offense but told you so. :p

You're not considering the change drivers properly in this case. Predicting what will happen is of course easier than predicting what and when.

Last edited:
Kettlemans are truck stops right? I'd love to see them partner with a major truck stop outfit when the Semis start hitting the pavement en masse. There will be a lot of interest there, plus a lot of naysayers too I'm sure. One thing that would be great for truckers is not to smell like diesel anymore!
I think he means the Kettleman City Supercharger station between LA and SFO.

Do you even know how much some of the new McLarens cost? Pretty much the same as to what the Roadster 2 will cost, including the Founders Roadster 2. Now, if TSLA went to $10, maybe you might have some leftover to buy a couple shares depending on how you spec each one.

I know people here talk about the FUD, but it goes both ways. People on both sides need to do some basic research at times.
Yes, some of them cost nearly $2,240,000. So, doing some basic research, I'd be able to buy a Founders Roadster 2 and still have $1,990,000 left over to buy a couple of TSLA shares. I know exactly what you mean by FUD.

McLaren Speedtail Prototype Seen Having A Smoke

Last edited:
Really? I mean, economics of industrial chemistry is quite complicated, but it seems utterly trivial. If the price goes high enough what's the problem? With a moment's Googling, I promptly found some lab articles about synthesizing nickel sulfide from nickel to get *really* high grade nickel sulfide.

In fact, it appears from what I can find that processing of the (apparently fairly common -- 40% of all primary nickel deposits, and 58% of world nickel production) nickel sufide ores first separates out the nickel sulfides, and then converts them to elemental nickel.

They could just, well, stop doing that. If battery nickel sulfide prices exceed the prices of metallurgical nickel by enough to cover the difference between the nickel sulfide purification costs and the costs of converting nickel sulfide into metallurgical nickel, they will stop.

The primary problem with producing nickel sulfides appears to be iron removal, which is a pain.

But in the short term of a few years it seems like just redirecting existing nickel sulfide streams away from making elemental nickel would do the trick.

Are they particularly pure or something? Lacking in cobalt sulfide and copper sulfide and iron sulfide and similar expected contaminants?

Regardless of what Wikipedia suggests, nobody makes nickel sulfate from nickel metal at scale; it's far too expensive. Battery-grade nickel sulfate is primarily produced directly from high-grade sulfide ores, while metallurgical nickel (ferronickel, nickel pig iron, NPI etc) is produced mainly from low-grade sulfide ores and laterites. The key difference in sulfide ores is the nickel concentration and form, which affects how difficult it is to get a high purity product.

Like sulfides, laterites can also be graded. High-grade laterites are more common than sulfides, while low-grade laterites are extremely common. The main difference is the geologic history. Laterites (your typical reddish-yellow tropical soils) are a byproduct of decomposition of olivine and serpentine, followed by subsequent oxidation. The iron tends to oxidize first and precipitate, while nickel, magnesium, and some other metals stay in solution and tend to precipitate downward until the solution is neutralized, wherein they precipitate out. But the degree of separation from the iron is never complete, usually quite limited, and sometimes doesn't even happen at all. This is limonitic ore, which is harder to process to a high-quality product (but on the upside, contains more cobalt and chromium). A well separated "silicate laterite" has the nickel mixed in with silicates and has a high magnesia content. Silicate laterates are suitable to pyrometalluric processes (smelting), while limonitic needs hydrometalluric processes (such as HPAL).

The 40% / 58% production does not correspond to reserves. Sulfides are preferred for production because they're cheaper to process, for a variety of reasons (even still, they're a minority of production). Reserves are a 20 / 80% split. And remember that all "reserves" figures you see for any resource are relative to a fixed price, tech, and exploration level. Sulfide deposits are highly geographically limited, while laterites can be found almost everywhere, and the only constraint is their production costs.

A key distinguishing factor is that oxide ores (laterites) are homogenous (nickel evenly mixed) but laterites are heterogenous (nickel minerals occur as distinct grains). So when processing sulfide ores, you use liberate the individual grains and then use physical processes (such as froth or magnetic separation) to concentrate the nickel minerals. Consequently, the purity of the nickel mineral grains themselves is a key factor, not just the overall nickel concentration of the ore. And it's not as simple as it sounds - in theory you can produce separate pentlandite (nickel), chalcopyrite (copper) and pyrrhotite (iron) concentrates - but part of your nickel exists as pentlandite inclusions and in solid solution in the pyrrhotite. So most producers outside of Canada don't even bother trying to separate them before smelting to ferronickel. The pyrrhotite fraction is however problematic because it contains most of your sulfur but only a minority of your nickel.

Where separated, nickel concentrates are usually only 5-15% nickel. 28% is considered "exceptional".

Nickel sulfate only makes up about 10% of the nickel market, and EV batteries in turn only consume a fraction of that. Neither ferronickel nor nickel sulfate ever exist as pure nickel metal during their production; ferronickel is a nickel-iron alloy (about 2/3rds nickel), and is produced that way. It's far too expensive to convert it to battery-grade sulfate. I forget the cutoff on battery grade, but I'm pretty sure it's at least 95% pure. While ferronickel is made via pyrometallurgical (smelting) processes, nickel sulfate is made from leaching of ores or concentrates (such as with sulfuric acid or ammoniacal ammonium sulfate) to dissolve the nickel (and other metals) into solution. Unwanted metals (such as copper) are then precipitated out of the solution via cementation or hydrogen sulfide (the latter also removes arsenic), whie residual iron can be removed with chlorine and nickel carbonate (this also coprecipitates lead and arsenic). Cobalt - which remains in the stream - can be separated by various methods, such as mixing nickel hydroxide into the solution (created by neutralizing nickel sulfate with sodium hydroxide) to precipitate cobalt hydroxide, or solvent extraction with a tertiary amine, such as D2EHPA. I would expect that most battery producers have no interest in reducing the cobalt content of their nickel sulfate, and would instead prefer to maximize it.

There are a wide range of electrolytic and carbonyl processes for producing high-grade nickel metal from nickel sulfate, but they do not apply when the desired feedstock is the nickel sulfate itself. A company like Tesla will process the sulfate on their own as they see fit to produce their cathodes.

As mentioned, the "dream scenario" for battery grade nickel production is if you can produce it from (common, cheap) laterites, and in particularly, the (really common, really cheap) low-grade limonitic laterites. One annoying thing about them is their high moisture content, due to the hydroxide minerals they contain (incl. limonite itself, iron hydroxide). If you could effect the results of drying and reduction roasting simultaneously with direct leaching, via acid dissolution, this would be hugely advantageous - except that under ambient conditions, almost everything (incl. the iron, which you don't want in solution) will dissolve. But under high temperatures and pressures the iron will precipitate out as hydrolated iron(III) oxide. This is HPAL - high pressure acid leach. Which is awesome, except for the fact that now your plant has to be able to withstand high-temperature high-pressure sulfuric acid! Being able to make a plant that can operate reliably under these conditions has been a big challenge, but it looks like there's been major progress on this front in recent years.

If you want to learn more on any refining process, I strongly recommend Ullmann's Encyclopedia of Industrial Chemistry. Great for scratching any chemical engineering itch ;) Discovered it back when I was writing a technical analysis on the colonization of Venus.

Last edited:
DF140508-68BE-4B8A-A4E1-10CEB016428C.jpeg

Gali has a new hyperchange vid out, which features Maxwell and theorises Tesla taking on cell production (from Pana).

Unlike Gali, I recommend we focus on cell productivity and avoid the word performance. Let the first p word be a euphemism that includes the latter. The reason is pretty obvious, ozzy. ;-)

Cheers

Last edited:
Galli has a new hyperchange vid out, which features Maxwell and theorises Tesla taking on cell production (from Pana).

Unlike Galli, I recommend we focus on cell productivity and avoid the word performance. Let the first p word be a euphemism that includes the latter. The reason is pretty obvious, ozzy. ;-)

Cheers

The most important breakthrough for me would undoubtedly be getting the cost down - its much more important to make the $35k SR more profitable, than it is to improve range/performance at the high end.

OT

Well, I am about to buy a used 2013 Model S to go with the one I already had. So I'm there with you.

You know, if enough of these are converted into service vehicles, ours will genuinely become collectible classics.

The "pre-facelift, purse slot" models were only produced from 2012 through early March 2016 -- there are fewer than 200,000 of them. Pre-autopilot models like ours were only offered from 2012 through October 2014 -- there are fewer than 50,000 of them, fewer than the first generation Corvette. Many classic cars, like the Mustang, had over *500,000* produced in their "most classic year".

The first Model S was a major milestone in the history of electric cars (second only to the Roadster and perhaps the t-zero). With the population of the early-model-year Model Ses declining, at some point they'll be in demand for museums. Every one which is gutted increases the collectability of the remainder.
Maybe ours will become appreciating assets too....

Reactions: neroden