Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I watched this video on YouTube:

What is the general consensus here about the Model S/X refresh rumors and possible introduction in September? I personally think it’s completely fabricated, in order to hurt current Tesla sales (Osbourne effect). Tesla just released big improvements to Model S and X, why would they bother if they’d have an all new refresh out the next quarter?

Second, the artist renderings shown in this clip do not at all fit the Tesla design language. I personally don’t like it, way too many lines and edges on the exterior that have no function and are probably a step back in aerodynamics. The interior goes counter to the Tesla style as well—Elon himself hates the conventional boxed-in cockpit design.

What also struck me as a complete fake is the rendering of the Model S at 2:04 showing two motors in the rear:

View attachment 420042

Looks like a poor Photoshop clone job, the second motor is actually protruding into the wheel well, lol.

Hmm I thought it was generally accepted that the current Raven was a smallish interim change until a larger refresh later this year? I don’t see why that is an absurd idea. Tesla always says they make continuous improvements when it is possible and makes sense to do (no model years).

I suspect the information in this video is essentially all true. And I bet they still use 18650s for S/X but with a better pack design.

Yes it is a poor image/video showing the 3 motors etc. but that isn’t something they are trying to attribute Tesla making.. it is their own video production trying to show it.

Your analogy doesn't really work. S is faster than the 3, Rolls and Bently are not. S also has more range than the 3, and an adjustable suspension. As for battery tech, we have no idea what the latest S/X have in them. I don't think it's as clear cut as you imply, and I don't think the general public is that aware of the nuances.
I agree that the analogy is not perfect and it is not a clear cut comparison. But it is enough of a difference, that it is hurting sales. Even Andrew Left of Citron, when he went long last year, anticipated an S refresh and stated that he was going to get one when it comes out. Like him and myself, there are many others waiting for the S, X refresh. Annual S,X sales will remain under 100k until then.

Also look at all the freebies they have to give away to maintain some decent level of sales, like free lifetime supercharging, free Ludicrous upgrade, etc. This helps make up for the inferior tech. These freebies will stop once the updated models are out.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Hmm I thought it was generally accepted that the current Raven was a smallish interim change until a larger refresh later this year?

Raven is the powertrain upgrade, with a new battery, new inverters, new gearbox, new front motor, new suspension, new wheel bearings, faster charging, better efficiency, increased range and new AP HW - with the added bonus of free ludicrous on the performance models for previous owners plus an overall price drop. I replaced a 2015 85D with a P100DL for almost the same price I paid for the 85D 4 years ago. If you like the current S interior/exterior (I do), and don't want to roll the dice on what happens to the interior design in the fall (I don't), this is an easy upgrade to make.

The next upgrade will likely be mostly cosmetic, as it will likely take some time to transition to the Maxwell battery tech and develop new motors. After that, we may see some compelling changes to range and charging speeds, but I'm thinking that is at least 12-18 months out.

Last edited:
Raven is the powertrain upgrade, with a new battery, new inverters, new gearbox, new front motor, new suspension, new wheel bearings, faster charging, better efficiency, increased range and new AP HW - with the added bonus of free ludicrous on the performance models for previous owners plus an overall price drop.

One minor correction, there was no battery change with the Raven upgrade.

Ok, let me jump on the stage for a second..

The Yale Professor quoted in this article - Jeffrey Sonnenfeld - has had Jim Chanos speak multiple times at his conference.. Just google Jeffrey Sonnenfeld and Jim Chanos and see all the results.. Basically - this article is likely sponsored or influenced by the short mafia.. If you cannot see this as obvious - I have some N. Korean time shares to sell you..
CNBC Exclusive: CNBC Transcript: Kynikos Associates Founder Jim Chanos Speaks with CNBC’s Kelly Evans on “Closing Bell” from the Yale CEO Summit Today

Another artifact:
Tesla analyst: Investors have been too bearish on the stock

Why TF is an IVY League Professor/Dean going on CNBC and arguing a short position's viewpoint with wall street analysts in some sort of jerry springer debate?? How does this advance the mission of Yale in anyway whatsoever? FWIW - Jim Chanos went to Yale and is part of this inside boy's club - my strong guess is he is indirectly shooting from Jeffrey's shoulders...Once you see the fact patterns emerge - the nonsense starts to make so much more sense.

One more - an encore if you will - remember when Elon Musk went on Twitter and accused Linette Lopez of unfair journalism and biased behavior towards Jim Chanos? She played the innocent victim card.. Well, the very same week - guess who appeared on a featured segment of CNBC with Linette Lopez (love that she wore a white dress to subtly suggest innocence) to defend her?? Jim's very own homey the clown Jeffrey Sonnenfeld!! Don't believe me? Check this clip out.
Bethany McLean: Elon Musk should be ashamed of himself & TSLA investors should 'run for the hills' | Bob's Blitz

I can go on all day but hope this is enough to get everybody's attention and draw some light into the stuff going on in front of your own very eyes.. Mic drop.

lols, there is quite a bit more to this

1) Chanos is an adjunct Prof on that Yale School of Management faculty Sonnenfeld is on.

https://som.yale.edu/faculty/james-chanos

2) The third person (in addition to Linette and Sonnenfeld) on that CNBC smear Elon panel, Bethany McLean,

pretty massive Chanos connection, including helping Chanos get his Fairfax narrative into Fortune Magazine. from NY Magazine,

“Reporters, too, have a vested interest in cultivating short-selling sources. When a short-seller uncovers fraud, it often translates into the sort of epic story that can make a business reporter’s career. After Chanos tipped Bethany McLean, then at Fortune, to the problems at Enron, she landed a $1.4 million book deal and an Oscar-nominated documentary, and she recently was hired as a contributing editor at Vanity Fair. McLean and Nocera recently nabbed a reported seven-figure book deal chronicling the fall of Wall Street.”

and

“Of all the journalists whom Chanos deals with, McLean—a former Goldman analyst turned financial writer—maintains a special relationship with Chanos that is the subject of lore and jealousy among rival business writers. At Fortune, McLean wrote features about the Australian bank Macquarie and Fairfax Financial—both companies on which Chanos had significant short positions. Through McLean, Chanos had access into the pages of Fortune.”

The Catastrophe Capitalist

raven batteries are revision "E", with improved cooling and wiring to support 200kw supercharging.

Tesla said the batteries were the same. From: EXCLUSIVE: 2019 Tesla Model S Review: From SF to LA on One Charge? - MotorTrend

"It's getting the Model 3's larger 2170-size cells?" I ask. "No, the battery is unchanged" they reply.

I do think that the charge port and wiring up to the battery, or HV junction box was updated.

Where is your link for the cooling being improved?

TSLA investors’ dream come true?

63FB0ED8-BC20-49A0-939E-C311AAD970F3.jpeg

Anybody know what the hell is going on? First a Not 2B then this...
That is the question....

Or to take Arms against a Sea of troubles

Elon fighting back against FUD - obvs. Elon deleting Twitter is like he is clearing his mind in preparation.

To be, or not to be, that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take Arms against a Sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them: to die, to sleep
No more; and by a sleep, to say we end
The heart-ache, and the thousand natural shocks
That Flesh is heir to? 'Tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wished. To die, to sleep,
To sleep, perchance to Dream; aye, there's the rub,
For in that sleep of death, what dreams may come,
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
Must give us pause. There's the respect
That makes Calamity of so long life:
For who would bear the Whips and Scorns of time,
The Oppressor's wrong, the proud man's Contumely,
The pangs of disprized Love, the Law’s delay,
The insolence of Office, and the spurns
That patient merit of the unworthy takes,
When he himself might his Quietus make
With a bare Bodkin? Who would Fardels bear, [F: these Fardels]
To grunt and sweat under a weary life,
But that the dread of something after death,
The undiscovered country, from whose bourn
No traveller returns, puzzles the will,
And makes us rather bear those ills we have,
Than fly to others that we know not of.
Thus conscience doth make cowards of us all,
And thus the native hue of Resolution
Is sicklied o'er, with the pale cast of Thought,
And enterprises of great pitch and moment, [F: pith]
With this regard their Currents turn awry, [F: away]
And lose the name of Action. Soft you now,
The fair Ophelia? Nymph, in thy Orisons
Be all my sins remember'd.

Credit to some old dude

"Just deleted my Twitter account," he tweeted.
I could not resist instantly replying to that on twitter.... basically said I don’t believe it, EM will always be here... then retweeted with a “is it bullish for the stock? Will people miss EM tweets? Is it a joke?”... reality is none of us know.... but it’s part of the fun of this wild ride.

My best guess is, it’s some dark humor. Combined with a black hole avatar....

If true, well it’s probably inconsequential in the long run, and altho some might say it’s bullish in the short term, (plenty of people said over last year if EM quits twit stock will rise) I don’t necessarily see it that way but who knows.... If it has that effect on the stock I won’t complain :) but will kinda miss seeing EM’s goofy personally on twitter...

Ok enough impulsive twits and TMC posts on my part, let’s see what happens be curious if media reports on this and what skew the markets put on it tomorrow AM... interesting timing Sunday night after a flat trading week, with futures up into a potentially pivotal Fed announcement week...

Nvr a dull mmnt

I could not resist instantly replying to that on twitter.... basically said I don’t believe it, EM will always be here... then retweeted with a “is it bullish for the stock? Will people miss EM tweets? Is it a joke?”... reality is none of us know.... but it’s part of the fun of this wild ride.

My best guess is, it’s some dark humor. Combined with a black hole avatar....

If true, well it’s probably inconsequential in the long run, and altho some might say it’s bullish in the short term, (plenty of people said over last year if EM quits twit stock will rise) I don’t necessarily see it that way but who knows.... If it has that effect on the stock I won’t complain :) but will kinda miss seeing EM’s goofy personally on twitter...

Ok enough impulsive twits and TMC posts on my part, let’s see what happens be curious if media reports on this and what skew the markets put on it tomorrow AM... interesting timing Sunday night after a flat trading week, with futures up into a potentially pivotal Fed announcement week...

Nvr a dull mmnt

Tweeting that he stopped using twitter is pretty typical Elon humor.

This is sad. Either get someone to check every tweet before posting, or stop using Twitter. I think he did the right thing.

He was kinda trending away from authoring tsla related twits, only re-tweeting them, and sticking to spacex stuff and the usual “other” EM stuff... I thought that’s a great plan...

The suddenly “I deleted my twitter account” is a bit of a surprise.... an old buddy of mine says “a tiger never changes his stripes” and Elon being vocal on social media is one of them things IMHO.... but let’s see what happens

Reactions: shootformoon
He was kinda trending away from authoring tsla related twits, only re-tweeting them, and sticking to spacex stuff and the usual “other” EM stuff... I thought that’s a great plan...

The suddenly “I deleted my twitter account” is a bit of a surprise.... an old buddy of mine says “a tiger never changes his stripes” and Elon being vocal on social media is one of them things IMHO.... but let’s see what happens

As long as he is on Twitter and his tweets are not checked, everyday he is 20 key strokes away from being stripped from CEO position. If Elon really deleted his twitter account, I think it's a good thing for him.