Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry for me MPH is the most important metric. As that shows overall efficiency and travel speed.
We must be talking past each other because mph while driving is important, but mph while charging changes as the rate of charge changes. It starts very high, and then decreases. Of course, this should be on it's own thread, not in investments
to me they both matter. If I need 250 miles of range to reach my destination the mph of charging is a key metric. Or how long do I need to wait on Charging? Both the kWh and efficiency play into the total time I need to sit. This is one reason for me at least, of why I much prefer the 3 over the S and X.

The problem with is that using this metric is not a direct comparison of charging rates/capability.

Example: The Model 3 is a smaller vehicle, and despite the fact they both have the same more efficient motors now, the S will likely always use more power per mile for locomotion. As such even if the S is upgraded to the same 250KW charge capability as the 3, it will always be inferior if rated on a miles added per minute basis.

If a small econo-BEV is efficient enough, it's possible that it's miles range addition at 150KW could be superior to an S at 200 or 250KW.

Simply put, miles-per-minute is a measure largely influenced by vehicle efficiency, not just charge rates.
That's enough!!! Take it to a different thread. WTF!!!

Thank you Curt for trying to divert the thread from MPH vs KWH back to the 5%+ rise in the SP.

You're welcome, Bob. Indeed this thread has been cluttered today by much that's not related to the amazing share price action.

Kallo is a highly rated analyst on TipRanks: https://www.tipranks.com/analysts/ben-kallo

He is the husband of CNBC's Melissa Lee. Let's see if Tesla is discussed on her Fast Money show this afternoon.

Seeing a few articles pushing the narrative that "executives at Tesla have been selling their shares like crazy" FUD. I guess when the demand argument is killed you have to find a new one.

Semi-OT but it's nice to see more MSM articles on this. Even among Tesla owners there are still plenty of people who insist that green energy production is a waste of money or relies on subsidies. Meanwhile we are toying with the idea of war in the Middle East again which at it's root boils down to oil security. Article has a nice video of an interview with a Texas Mayor (republican) that is gung-ho for wind energy because it's cheaper and provides jobs.
It's now cheaper to build a new wind farm than to keep a coal plant running

True, but you can only drive one car at a time, so the time it takes to charge depends on the car you are currently driving. What the other car gets isn't material once you've started to drive.

The value of MPH after I’ve started to drive:

Wife: How long do I have at *random mall* before we have to leave?
Me: (300 mph and I need 100 miles of range) about 20 minutes
Wife: ok I’ll just have a quick look around

Without MPH display:

Me: (330 wh/mile / 120 kw / (1000w / kw) * ( 60 min/ hr) * 100 miles). “Um let me pull up my calculator app”

Wife: ok while you figure that out I’ll be shopping in that store

OT: bought 4 more shares. Did not time it well.

Tesla’s production, delivery numbers change multiple times between filings

Lol, amazing how they keep coming up with this stuff. Now it is the reporting that is flawed.

I remember the MarketWatch editor told Elon Musk something like: Give us money we will write good stuff about your company, don't use us as free marketing tools. Nothing wrong about that statement, he was telling the truth. MarketWatch is in the business to make money. It's not a nonprofit organization to serve the public.

Today who visit websites and click ads? Nobody does. Not many people still subscribe to newspapers. So the new business model for media is to take money from companies, then write infomercials but pretend those are news or opinions.

Last edited:
I remember the MarketWatch editor told Elon Musk something like: Give us money we will write good stuff about your company, don't use us as free marketing tools. Nothing wrong about that statement, he was telling the truth. MarketWatch is in the business to make money. It's not a nonprofit organization to serve the public.

Today who visit websites and click ads? Nobody does. No many people still subscribe to newspapers. So the new business model for media is to take money from companies, then write infomercials but pretend those are news or opinions.
I actually feel this sort of behavior should be illegal. It's tantamount to fraud to pretend to be an unbiased source of news and instead act as a mouthpiece in return for bribes.

Disagree. KWh only matters if you’re using your car as a home battery or for AC while camping or something. For driving, what you’re actually getting is miles of range. Looking at kWh is like looking at ounces of Alcoholic beverage, without paying attention to whether it’s beer, wine, vodka or 151.

A larger pack allows for more degradation over time and faster charging to X SOC without quicker ramping which means shorter stops. Also allows headroom for colder temps. I just drove a long 9K foot climb for 240 plus miles in cold weather and would have not made it with a smaller pack because SC availability was lacking from a road closure. A larger pack is not the solution for everyone's needs but it can be very useful and necessary for some.

IIRC, that was always the case: dumb reporters in MSM making crack reporting, i.e. reporting on Tesla was always flawed. ;)

If we think these reporters are dumb, we are missing the point. If I own a small online media company, and I get 5 million dollars a year from VW and GM, you will see how I write about VW/GM cars and Tesla cars. I would write lots of misleading articles, not because I'm dumb, it's because I love money. I would love money from hedge funds too.

Here Teslas are beeing loaded onto a car transporter in Trondheim, Norway.

It looks like 4 transporters needed so at 8 cars per transporter ca. 32 Teslas arrived in Trondheim today.

Edit: When this post is 20 mins old I belive the car transporter has left. And if they keep on working this evening all the Teslas will be gone from the harbour in 3-4 hours after this post. The cargo ship is probably emptied and will be gone soon too.

Last edited:
Report: Trips In GM’s Cruise AV Take 80% Longer Than In A Normal Vehicle

'Now another similar report has been published by The Information, a subscription only technology and business publication. The article, entitled ‘Technical Glitches Plague GM’s $19 Billion Self Driving Car Unit’, claims the launch of the Cruise self-driving taxi service is still well behind schedule due to the numerous issues with the Cruise AV platform.

The report says Cruise AV prototypes will turn off suddenly and for unknown reasons. One embarrassing failure of this type came when GM was giving a demonstration ride to Honda CEO Takahiro Hachigo. The safety driver had to take over the controls just 20 minutes into the demo ride after the vehicle’s software shut off and the vehicle remained rolling down the road. Eventually, another Cruise AV prototype arrive to finished the demo run. Honda is a major investor in Cruise, having committed $2.75 billion to the company last year.

The Information says Cruise AV prototypes will also become confused by every day driving occurrences, such as steam from vents on the roadway or water splashing up from other cars, frequently perform sudden and aggressive braking maneuvers and sometimes fail to properly yield to traffic. The vehicles also operate at a slow speed relative to a human driver, with your average Cruise AV ride taking approximately 80% longer than normal.

GM’s own internal calculations also indicate that a car with a human driver is about 10 times safer than the current version of its Cruise AV prototype, said The Information.'

Last edited:
CNBC just spent a couple of minutes talking about Elon's tweets over the weekend... deleting his twitter account etc..

But during this segment they did not mention "Tesla" at all, nor that TSLA was up 5%, nor did they show a TSLA graph on-screen.

Disgusting.

It be fair, even the overwhelmingly bullish investors in the TMC market thread didn't manage to talk much about the +5% rise of TSLA today, and I'd not be surprised to see CNBC chime in on the KPH vs. MPH controversy as well!! ;)

Last edited: