Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And I watch shocking videos of Teslas burning. Come on. Let´s not get to the same scientific level as FUDsters. (Hint: look at the probabilities)

I get your point that one hydrogen explosion is not statistically significant (if even measurable with any confidence in such small numbers). But hydrogen ignition is nothing like gasoline ignition simply because gasoline is not a gas at room temp/tank pressure.

Kaboom... mushroom cloud? Hydrogen is not for me, but I do like that water comes out the tailpipe... that part is (was) great!

7-7-2019 1-30-48 PM.png

Well, duh. There's nothing that will blow up in a solar farm, you have to bring your own combustibles. About the only thing that can be easily done is to cut the transmission lines, which can be quickly repaired, so a lot of effort and risk for only a small gain.

NO !
Putting solar farms out of business is easy.
Just plant Kudzu !

1gQMyk.So.79.jpeg

And I watch shocking videos of Teslas burning. Come on. Let´s not get to the same scientific level as FUDsters. (Hint: look at the probabilities)

I know the probabilities of homes exploding are low. And I would think people take care of their homes. But still a few go bang. I know since we read about them in Norwegian papers frequently enough. So it happens. The probability is probably 0.00000001% or something. But not zero.

So what if we swap propane/LNG with hydrogen. Put it in buses, trucks, heavy industrial vehicles. Then if the 0.00000001% strikes we don't take out one home. But a whole neighbourhood.

Recently a hydrogen station exploded in Norway and it lead to Norway closing all hydrogen stations and Toyota and Hyunday stopped selling hydrogen cars. So this has been discussed a lot recently. The amount of hydrogen exploding there is estimated to 500g - 1kg.

1 kg hydrogen exploding can be compared to 26,5 kg TNT. The Toyota Miray have a 5kg tank with hydrogen. I would guess heavy vehicles would have more. And their filling stations quite an amount.

If someone is interested you can google translate my sources:

General discussion on EV forum: Hydrogenstasjonen i Sandvika sprengt i lufta

Cause was sloppy fitting: Uno-X: En plugg i hydrogentanken ble montert feil – førte til kraftig eksplosjon

This accident happened after a few test cars have been using hydrogen for a few years. Less than 10 pumps were available. If this was scaled up so that all heavy vehicles used hydrogen? I think people will be sloppy in the future too. Only the problem is that hydrogen make these big bangs when *sugar* happens.

Quick reminder, seems our planet is cooking, and faster. Paris agreement goal was by year 2100 maintain ave temp "well below 2 degrees C." Seems we're on track to dump enough CO2 as early as 2035 that would yield the full 1.5 degrees. Wow, just 16 yrs away. So seems the Paris goal isn't good enough, need a new one perhaps. Alaskan's swimming in record heatwave caught my attention this week. This is getting real and fast.

People will want BEVs even more when this becomes clear. The consumer is in the driver's seat here.
CO2 emissions are on track to take us beyond 1.5 degrees of global warming

Just bought my first Tesla! These sentry mode/autopilot videos were a major selling point for me

OT
Be sure the flash drive is operating properly. My wife was recently hit in a parking lot - not her fault - I thought it would be captured on video but apparently the flash drive broke a week before the accident. The driver in the other car was rude. It would have great to have video evidence to share with the police.

OT
Be sure the flash drive is operating properly. My wife was recently hit in a parking lot - not her fault - I thought it would be captured on video but apparently the flash drive broke a week before the accident. The driver in the other car was rude. It would have great to have video evidence to share with the police.

Thanks for the heads up!

The main difference is that it is easy to carry extra gas with you or even fit a larger, or extra, tank on a had car.
But not particularly safe (to carry extra gas with you) or inexpensive (to add an additional gas tank). It's not even cheap when the vehicle is designed to possibly have a second gas tank.
oh...yah... LOL

giphy.gif

So what I’m saying is a F150 is a fairly practical vehicle for your once a month trip to Home Depot or whatever, but as long as you don’t commute with it it doesn’t do that much harm. And resell value as it’s a ICE is crap anyway so might as well keep it.
But you're still paying license fees and insurance just to have it mostly sit there.
My comment on all the "insurance not required": Why/how would the average owner have a vehicle they never intended to drive on a public road but yet still somehow planned to get to Home Depot with it once a month? Very rare.

Irrelevant of all the other information.
You can rent a Home Depot truck for $20 in my area.
No extra insurance
No maintenance
No licensing
No worries.
Just get your stuff drop it at home and return the truck.

My conversation with the Tesla employee from Riverbend (AKA Gigafactory 2) current intent is to not replace any V2, manufacturing V3 strictly for new installations.
They're not replacing them any time soon for sure. Elon stated (I don't recall when/where) that they would eventually upgrade the older locations, but not any time soon. Of course, that's always subject to change ..

Reactions: neroden
They're not replacing them any time soon for sure. Elon stated (I don't recall when/where) that they would eventually upgrade the older locations, but not any time soon. Of course, that's always subject to change ..
Building out/expanding existing locations should be the goal at this time. When there are limited funds (and there are always limited funds) the plan is to get the most bang for your buck. Upgrades will happen when either the current equipment reaches EOL or in those locations where there is massive congestion.

Lex Fridman (MIT) tweeted that Tesla has over 528,000 HW2+ to date, and 692,000 total Teslas in the wild.

When Elon says he'll have 1 million robotaxi capable cars delivered by sometime next year, it is shocking how real that is when these numbers are truly appreciated.

Literally, Tesla will have a million cars on the road sometime in Q1 next year. From a few thousand in 2012, to now 1 million eight years later, it'ss truly mind blowing and should really be a major news story when it happens.

And the 1 million robotaxi capable fleet will be the next massive story right on its heels. When the over the air update turns on the network it will be unbelievable moment for sure.

Amazing time to be alive.

Based on....?

That's what Elon said at the AGM - hit 35GWh production rate late this year or early next year.
Cells shouldn't be a significant bottleneck for Fremont Model 3 production now that they have ramped the SR+ pack, I presume the GF1 cell production ramp from here will either be used for the 3k per week Model 3s at GF3, or for switching S&X to 2170.

Last edited:
That's what Elon said at the AGM - hit 35GWh production rate late this year or early next year.
Cells shouldn't be a significant bottleneck for Fremont Model 3 production now that they have ramped the SR+ pack, I presume the GF1 cell production ramp from here will either be used for the 3k per week Model 3s at GF3, or for switching S&X to 2170.

or TE