Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't believe it costs $4000 to maintain a Camry for 5 years, but yes, the model 3 is more enticing than ever.

$4,000 for the Camry, that's an average cost of maintenance and repairs over 5 years. The Model 3 maintenance/repairs was costed out at $1200 over five years. That's only $2,800 less. This figure includes brakes, tires, oil and filter changes, air filter changes, and stuff that breaks.

I don't find the comparison inaccurate and it's important to note that the single biggest savings over five years is the Tesla is projected to have a 5-year resale value of $18,988 while the Camry is only projected to be worth $8,905. The higher resale value of the Tesla makes up for over 70% of the extra cost to purchase.

That accounts for more savings than the fuel and maintenance combined! It really does cost less to own the Model 3! And they said, "You can't have your cake and eat it too!". :p

A car that is "way better" than an appliance of a car is practically everything. And people who can afford civics and such are mostly looking for reliable transportation for work. There's more to putting a strain on your financials (almost double what you would pay normally) for a better car when you were not a car person to begin with. Only people who love cars even appreciate what better is. I never see people who treat their cars like appliances car people.
I bought my first Tesla in 2014. It replaced by 1994 Honda Accord. I had never before owned a car with a purpose beyond getting me from point A to point B efficiently and effectively. I had never spent more than $28K on a car and there I was shelling out well over $100K.

And since then I have bought two more Teslas and no other vehicles. I look for excuses to drive my Tesla.

So, if I follow what you're saying, it sounds like I don't exist.

I bought my first Tesla in 2014. It replaced by 1994 Honda Accord. I had never before owned a car with a purpose beyond getting me from point A to point B efficiently and effectively. I had never spent more than $28K on a car and there I was shelling out well over $100K.

And since then I have bought two more Teslas and no other vehicles. I look for excuses to drive my Tesla.

You mean someone who love driving to the point of spending 100k on them but refuse to spend this money if Tesla never existed? Yeah I would say you are very rare and doesn't apply to most people. So you are not in it to help Tesla's mission..you are in it because you love driving...but felt indifferent to driving all your life except after a Tesla? I mean it's possible but definitely not the type of people Elon is trying to lower the price of Teslas for.

You mean someone who love driving to the point of spending 100k on them but refuse to spend this money if Tesla never existed? Yeah I would say you are very rare and doesn't apply to most people. So you are not in it to help Tesla's mission..you are in it because you love driving...but felt indifferent to driving all your life except after a Tesla? I mean it's possible but definitely not the type of people Elon is trying to lower the price of Teslas for.
Not as rare as you think.

The things is that some people buy car for functionality and some for drivability, there has been no car for both until Tesla.

My wife always wanted a sports car. Never spent the money as we have kids and both of us have to pick them up and drive them places. She will never spent money to buy a car that is only driven once a week. The plan was to buy one after kids go to college.

She stopped drooling over the sports cars after we bought our Tesla.

Not as rare as you think.

The things is that some people buy car for functionality and some for drivability, there has been no car for both until Tesla.

My wife always wanted a sports car. Never spent the money as we have kids and both of us have to pick them up and drive them places. She will never spent money to buy a car that is only driven once a week. The plan was to buy one after kids go to college.

She stopped drooling over the sports cars after we bought our Tesla.

Ditto. Never spent more than $2500 for a car until I splurged and bought a 4 year old Honda Civic. Cars were to get me from point to point. My money for fun could better be spent on sailboats and airplanes. A friend of mine had a Honda Civic and a $350,000 Beechcraft Bonanza, and neither of us saw anything wrong with that. I moved up to a Model S in 2013 because I could stop buying gas and grow my own energy on the roof, and I loved the look and performance of Model S. It was the first car I ever knew of that was exciting enough for me to spend real money and also buy something new for a change.

PS: That was my first of 3 new Teslas.

Last edited:

Same for me. I guess I’m not the only non-car guy who is replacing his Toyotas with Teslas.

Chalk me up as another “very rare” person. Most I spent before my $82k(now plus $2,500 to upgrade to the 75kWh plus $500 for bioweapon defense mode upgrade) S was $9,000 on a used Toyota Highlander.

It’s a completely different product from any other car. Absolutely everything about it is more thought out and without compromise. Just like most people had no interest in smartphones before the iPhone, I had no interest in cars before the Model S.

Chalk me up as another “very rare” person. Most I spent before my $82k(now plus $2,500 to upgrade to the 75kWh plus $500 for bioweapon defense mode upgrade) S was $9,000 on a used Toyota Highlander.

It’s a completely different product from any other car. Absolutely everything about it is more thought out and without compromise. Just like most people had no interest in smartphones before the iPhone, I had no interest in cars before the Model S.

Uh yes, if this forum thinks spending 80+k on a car is a common thing then perhaps look at a typical persons average salary and debt load. Most banks wouldn't even approve over 90% of the US population on such a car.

Uh yes, if this forum thinks spending 80+k on a car is a common thing then perhaps look at a typical persons average salary and debt load. Most banks wouldn't even approve over 90% of the US population on such a car.
It's an established fact that people streeeeetch their means to buy Teslas. Kids making ~60k a year are buying $60k Teslas

Elon is on Twitter again. Now that the pick-up unveiling is within a few month, software 10 in September with mighty new games and other goodies.
Why does he come out with it now; a couple of days after the earnings call and a disasterous couple of days for TSLA?
Does he want to push the stock? I hope he doesn't think that way but the timing is remarkable. Once again, his timing for release of features is almost always off. I just wish he just shut-up and release the features whenever it is ready. The stock will do its thing then.

Elon is on Twitter again. Now that the pick-up unveiling is within a few month, software 10 in September with mighty new games and other goodies.
Why does he come out with it now; a couple of days after the earnings call and a disasterous couple of days for TSLA?
Does he want to push the stock? I hope he doesn't think that way but the timing is remarkable. Once again, his timing for release of features is almost always off. I just wish he just shut-up and release the features whenever it is ready. The stock will do its thing then.

That's 100% nonsense: today's announcement of the V10 release is timed in a similar fashion as the announcement of V9 was timed previously. Furthermore Elon mentioned an August FSD price hike and hinted at a major FSD release with Advanced Summon numerous times before the Q2 earnings report as well.

The reason he announced it today is probably that V10, after having reached "feature complete" status a few weeks ago, and after having been tested by their FSD Group testers (a few hundred Tesla employees, including Elon), is now going out to Early Access Program participants (several thousand Tesla owners) real soon. (As in "next week" soon I would guess.)

The uncertainty of the wider public release to tens of thousands and later to hundreds of thousands of Tesla owners depends on how the thousands of Early Access owners react to the new release and its features, and the V10 general release might be delayed based on data feedback and human feedback, which phased testing method is how it should be done.

The reason Elon announced the V10 feature set is probably also to set expectations: when V9 was released to the early-access testers screenshots and reports about the new functionality started leaking almost immediately. It's important for Tesla to manage expectations - for example the scope of the V10 FSD features.

Last edited:
My last interesting car was a Volvo P1800 (serial # 27) that I sold in 1971 to buy my first BMW motorcycle. I sold the third, a Paris Dakar when I bought the 2007 Zenn. When the Zenn's second set of batteries failed I knew it would have to be replaced with a real electric car. We sold my sweetie's 2002 Prius and traded in the Zenn paying four times as much for a car as we ever had before.

I'm not alone, and I suspect there are a lot of us who where tricked by Elon Musk into buying a car for way too much money just because we couldn't wait a few years to pay half as much. And as anyone who actually drives a Tesla knows, those three years were worth every penny.

Now if that doesn't warm your heart you must hate humanity. :) Another amazing deployment with a perfect landing of the booster!

I wonder if Tesla detractors wonder how Musk can run such a successful and technologically advanced space company on one hand, while on the other hand, the same man is running a fraudulent automotive company that makes crappy cars with whompy wheels that simply fall off and batteries that catch on fire all the time with bodywork having panel gaps as large as the Cumberland gap? It just doesn't make sense. :confused:

Well I don't know about all detractors, but the cretins on Twitter all claim that Space-X is, guess what, a fraudulent scam - they were *seriously* claiming the rocket landings were faked.

Ya. Cars were just a hassle and a money/time sink.

Then tesla came along and driving is enjoyable again.