Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla advertises by getting in the news. The top headlines bleed, but that is understood. Nevertheless this will give Tesla a megaphone to proclaim that unlike those outside supplier produced panels installed years ago by an independent SolarCity, Tesla is now manufacturing its own safe solar panels and beautiful roofs.
Yeah not a good look when your earlier products catch fire and a hard sell to convince people "Now we know what we're doing". I still know people who won't buy a Samsung phone because of their spontaneous battery issues years back.

2/ If yes, do other SolarCity installations suffer from the same shortcomings?

Given that the issues occurred in Walmart stores in different locations, presumably with systems installed by different people, it seems likely to me that these problems are widespread and so Tesla could incur significant costs in inspecting all relevant systems and carrying out a lot of maintenance and repair work - not just for Walmart, but for solar customers in general.

Having said that, this may not necessarily affect residential installations, which were relatively routine and carried out by smaller Solar City crews, who were likely regular employees and could have built up significant experience over time. In contrast, large commercial installations like this may have required greater reliance on contractors in each area (hence greater risk of using poorly-trained personnel), and greater customisation for each site. I'm largely speculating here though - does anyone else know more about this?

Last edited by a moderator:
So I believe Tesla has over 600 Walmart installs over 36 states, including battery storage. 100MWs+.

So even if this is Tesla crew problem as reported in the same press that pumps out FUD all day every day, it’s ~1.5% of Walmart installs.

Clearly, if negligence of crew is proven, Tesla takes responsibility.

Even if this may or may not be the case, it is not a tech problem. Tesla customers are believed to be producing 1Gw+/day days right now of solar energy from their systems nationally. Can’t do that if fire is anywhere remotely common. Nor the 1 million+ rooftop solar generators across the country not counting the millions internationally.

It’s part of the “fire” FUD. Every Tesla fire is made headline news when 100s of thousands of ICE go unnoticed by the press.

The utility companies are just as desperate to slow Tesla energy as ice/oil is to slow down Tesla motors.

No powerful rebound after big drop after last ER.
Looks like a slow slide down again to $177.
Damn it's a long way to 52wk high at $379!
Thoughts?

It's like technical analysis is psychic sometimes. Hit the 50 moving avg and resistance and then WalMart sues over the solar roofs. Not the after hours move I wanted to see. With the negative bias in the market at this point, only killer deliveries and great cash flow will help turn the tide. Profits would be great, but for the long term, I prefer they focus on free cash flow and building cash equivalents. October deliveries over 100,000 might be bullish, but unless margins are up over 20%, the shorts can still drive the story.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Yeah not a good look when your earlier products catch fire and a hard sell to convince people "Now we know what we're doing". I still know people who won't buy a Samsung phone because of their spontaneous battery issues years back.

Yeah, definitely. Regardless of the root causes in the Walmart fires, Walmart's description of Tesla's response over the course of 14 months is not a good look for Tesla at all.

This is the customer service black hole problem many of us have encountered, only with Walmart as the customer and half a dozen stores lighting up.

It's rather incredible that Tesla let this escalate this far without more closely engaging with Walmart.

As with any case, I'll wait to read Tesla's response. But this is a lot of accusations across multiple areas of the company, for a prolonged time period both before and years after Tesla acquired SolarCity, from a company that is a large customer of Tesla's and who purportedly wanted these installs to work out well and be greatly expanded upon.

Not a great day for Tesla.

I think the walmart lawsuit would have an impact on SP tomorrow or for few days. I doubt it has any long term effects at all.
The facts about the lawsuit have yet to fully reveal. but what im worried about as a shareholder is the whole tesla company is built around EM like a monarchy. It executes great power under this leadership. at the same time it always comes with collateral damage/unintended consequences as the system is so dependent on the person at the helm. even the greatest leader has blind zones and the feedback loop is too long.

But I guess this is the fundamental risk of owning tsla.

Two differences:
30 day rentals vs 20 year leases

solar credit phase out​
Will make it more difficult to attract tax equity investors.
I figure Tesla has side deals with the named utilities, otherwise why restrict it to just those 20? So they get paid something as long as the system is on the roof. Almost no one will pay $1500 for removal. The tax credit drops from 30% now to 26% next year and 22% in 2021. That's manageable. If it truly goes away in 2022 the program will end, but by then President Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's Green New Deal will be in place :)
What happens to GF-2 output if there is no large increase in deployments?
Panasonic will continue selling GF2 output to others. There's a 30% tariff on imports, so they can find customers at reasonable prices.

I still think there is a 2nd agreement with the utility which includes cash flow. After all, the renter will not use 100% of the energy. And if he quits the contract but leaves the cells on the roof, those will still produce energy which supposingly goes to the utility for which Tesla likely gets paid in one or another form.

That credit is so small, it’s not even worth a consideration. With PG&E, it’s only $0.034/kWh. I mentioned about this on my post in the other forum. Who gets the credit during the time between cancelling and removing the panels is not mentioned in the available agreement. But, i would think it’s in Tesla’s best interest to remove it as soon as they can to bank the $1,500 fee and re-use those panels in other projects.

*insert adjective* AF
original_174855174.gif

So I believe Tesla has over 600 Walmart installs over 36 states, including battery storage. 100MWs+.

So even if this is Tesla crew problem as reported in the same press that pumps out FUD all day every day, it’s ~1.5% of Walmart installs.

Even if this may or may not be the case, it is not a tech problem. Tesla customers are believed to be producing 1Gw+/day days right now of solar energy from their systems nationally. Can’t do that if fire is anywhere remotely common. Nor the 1 million+ rooftop solar generators across the country not counting the millions internationally.

It’s part of the “fire” FUD. Every Tesla fire is made headline news when 100s of thousands of ICE go unnoticed by the press.

The utility companies are just as desperate to slow Tesla energy as ice/oil is to slow down Tesla motors.

Agree! Talking about utility companies: here’s one that caused devastating fires on a massive scale:

PG&E lines blamed for deadliest wildfire in California history
State fire investigators have formally determined that Pacific Gas & Electric Co transmission lines caused the deadliest and most destructive wildfire on record in California, a blaze that killed 85 people last year, officials said on Wednesday.

Today’s news of the quick approval for building a Chinese Tesla Gigafactory, and Moody’s explanation for raising its Tesla credit outlook to stable from negative, are far more meaningful for determining the value of Tesla shares than the Walmart lawsuit regarding panels once installed by SolarCity. But cry “fire” and the reactions by squirrely after-hours traders are going to be more emotional than rational.

Last edited:

Sorry but minimizing this is just wrong. Just 1.5% of installs? They caught fire.

Tesla has de-energized 240 wallmart installations. Solar city continues to be the gift that keeps on giving.

I am not sure what the worst part is, the fires or Tesla not taking care of them. This should not have been a lawsuit. Tesla should have paid out or got insurance to do it. Walmart does not even appear to be asking for anything but actual damage.

They should have gone into red alert mode at some point and paid to redo these installs properly before it turned into 7 fires.

Sure but there were actual documented fires on multiple roofs.

I wondered the same, but how many individual connections do code officials actually inspect? Very few I'd imagine. For example when I built my garage a few years ago they didn't open up any of my junction boxes to check the connections, let alone all of them.

It really depends on the individual inspector that’s scheduled to the site. I’ve had inspectors that are like solving CSI-style murder mystery cases (and some even calling out things unrelated to the original scope of the inspection), and some inspectors who just need to get to their next site for the day. No different from any other line of work, i.e. not all radiologists give the same amount of eyeball time to scans (they work on a quota or time deadline with certain rotations after all).

• Helpful
Reactions: dhrivnak and AZRI11
It's hard to tell who is being sarcastic and who really believes this crap.

Credits - 327m in 1H + 111m guided in Q3. Even with a huge Q4 bump it's not "800 million, probably a billion".

Revenue -
2019 - 27b (guidance implies 24-26)
2020 - 35b (possible, but so is 30b)
2022 - 100b (sigh)

China - 70% less to build what? Cars? LOL. Ron knows better. The empty building shell? That's possible, but not very relevant to Tesla's economics.

I think Ron was referring to 70% less to build the factory, not the car, but he could have been more articulate. It does appear that production of some sort is imminent, but not likely to be 3000 a week this year. If they can start building a few cars and get test production going and get to 1000 cars a week by the end of the year, the news should be great. If they build 1500 a week in 2020, that would imply at least 8000 Model 3's a week. It seems likely that 3000 a week in Shanghai seems likely by end of Q1. If they do hit 10,000 Model 3's a week and stay around 1500 SX, their costs for some items, like the FSD chipset and their software costs per vehicle fall as much as depreciation costs. Once Shanghai is producing at 3000 a week, margins should be 30% or more. They have a lot of work to do to make 10,000 cars a week happen, but it will be a great milestone for those of us who bought in when they hit 100 cars a week.
Assuming ASP declines as Shanghai comes online, Model 3 revenue should still be close to 500 million a week for the Model 3 and over 100 million for SX, combined for about 600 million a week. Add in Tesla Energy and used car sales and revenue should be close to 40 billion. The Y may come online in 2020, but revenue is not likely to be nearly as significant as Shanghai Model 3. As important, Shanghai with the Y coming up should setup a very strong 2021, where they can beat 50% growth again. If they build more than 3000 cars a week in Shanghai in 2020, then revenue and cash flow should be strong and Tesla can end 2020 with some serious FU money in the bank.
I don't see how revenue comes in below 35 billion for 2020 if they hit the low end of their goals and 40 billion seems very attainable. I think the 2021 and 2022 crystal ball will start working better in Q1 of 2020 when they start announcing products and setting more firm dates for the Y, Roadster, Semi and Pickup (and that Sprinter van I've been asking for).
The exciting thing for 2021 is if they plan on bringing Y production online in Shanghai immediately after getting Fremont running. Shanghai endstate is targeting 15,000 cars a week. If they get close to 10,000 in 2021, that is an extra 50 billion a year (sigh).