Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do believe Tesla is also selling like hot cakes in New Zealand -and perhaps those 2400 plus vehicles includes a few hundred for NZ. They all go on the same containerships...just different discharge ports..

NZ Model 3 Registrations

about 300+ so far

What's the source of that data? Voluntary reporting?

There seem to only be two types, "S" and "P". Does "P" include all LRs, or what?

Two hours ago Daimler AG's "Head of Digital Transformation", Sascha Pallenberg, has written a tweet ridiculing the Tesla Model S Plaid prototype:

Sascha Pallenberg (@sascha_p) on Twitter

"Still waiting for a timed lap in the S P100D. I mean Porsche isn't bragging about a time of a prototype that you can't buy, right? Btw. will the plaid model come with the Goodyears, rear-wing & extended fenders you used last week?"

Two hours ago Daimler AG's "Head of Digital Transformation", Sascha Pallenberg, has written a tweet ridiculing the Tesla Model S Plaid prototype:

"Still waiting for a timed lap in the S P100D. I mean Porsche isn't bragging about a time of a prototype that you can't buy, right? Btw. will the plaid model come with the Goodyears, rear-wing & extended fenders you used last week?"
There's a number of falsehoods in that tweet:
  • Porsche does brag about the Nürburgring lap time of what they themselves called a "prototype".
  • The Taycan prototype was made before production started - the only question is the number of months, which Porsche doesn't tell.
  • Porsche did not submit their Taycan Nürburgring run as an officially recognized timed lap, so we still don't know the Taycan's weight, tires, other modifications and its exact configuration.
  • How does a Daimler Benz representative know that the new chassis, the extended aero and racing tires won't be on production versions customers can buy next year?
  • Tesla in fact did say that the production version of the new Model S Plaid will have even better Nürburgring times than the prototypes - on what basis does Daimler AG's Sascha Pallenberg cast doubt on that while taking Porsche's claims at face value?
  • The Tesla tweet Pallenberg replied to wasn't "bragging", they reported preliminary data and announced to return next month after improvements:
    • "Data from our track tests indicates that Model S Plaid can achieve 7:20 at the Nürburgring. With some improvements, 7:05 may be possible when Model S returns next month."
I've read through his other tweets, all of them are positive messages - except this one. By the language could he be one of the many anonymous TSLAQ trolls attacking Tesla on social media? Did he post in the wrong account perhaps?

Could someone with a good Twitter presence please follow up and correct those Daimler AG falsehoods?

Here's the link to the tweet itself, with a screenshot:

Twitter

upload_2019-9-23_19-56-15.png

• Helpful
Reactions: SpaceCash
For the life of me, I'll never understand why people threw so much money into NIO.

Haven't you seen all the excitement about Nurburgring last week between Tesla and Porsche ?
Guess, who is the real EV record holder on the 'Ring ?
It is NIO, of course:
Electric Car Nurburgring Record – NIO EP9 Runs 6:45.90 on Nordschliefe
Video: watch the Nio EP9’s 6:45 ‘Ring record

Their 6:45 record is a nearly full minute faster than Porsche-Taycan and more than 35s faster than Tesla, so obviously people will throw more money into NIO than Tesla or Porsche ;)

Here's the link to the tweet itself, with a screenshot:

They keep moving the goalposts!
"You'll never be fast enough"
"You're fast but you won't beat my time"
"You beat my time but you had extra sugary prototype Cheerios with the fast-sprinkles spoiler, the lowered suspension toy, and you removed the milk seats to make it go faster ... and your Mom drove you to the track. I only had Wheaties and I had to drive myself to the track."
<crying... sob sob... pouting ... :( :( >
"OK You're better than me but my parents are still richer than yours!"

Last edited:
This is even worse.

"NIO Inc., the company known as China’s Tesla...."

Really? Said who? Bloomberg? I think Nio is known as Nio to anyone not trying to get a cheap click.

China's Tesla Battles for Survival

This headline literally makes it sound as if Tesla in China is about to collapse - as if they can't get the factory built or something.

I'm really getting sick of the entire news media. No one can report outside their agenda.

Perfect headline to confuse the trading-bots to dump some $TSLA early on...

I do not think that range is an appropriate parameter for S/X and 3/Y differentiation. Range is a necessity, not a luxury. Gas cars don't differentiate on it. Add your falcon wings, dynamic suspension, bioweapon defense air filters, noise isolation, fancy handles etc.
Hopefully, batteries will become cheaper and this type of differentiation will become unnecessary some time.

Gas cars differentiate on engine size EVs do not. Different products.

~250 miles of range is a necessity ~500 miles of range is a luxury.

Someday economy cars will have 350 miles of range and luxury cars 1000 miles of range.

Reactions: abasile

That's quite remarkable: Apparently the German auto manufacturers feel so threatened by Telsa that they have to defend their competitors (Daimler vs. Porsche) against Tesla!

So 3 days ago, the Tesla girl who took me for a test drive when I lived in L.A. sent me another email offering another test drive. The email touts the new Raven model improvements including suspension and range. Evidently they want to clear EOQ inventory as well; this is the email they sent

Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 11.35.56 AM.png

I told her I live in Vegas now and asked if I could do it here, she said no problem.
I gave her times and dates that worked for me, said I am interested in driving the fastest Raven S they have but I'm also curious about the 3.
She hooked it up! I'll be driving BOTH the Raven S and the P3D this weekend and I'm stoked about that. Give me any ideas on things to try or do to make it interesting. I drove SUPER aggressively for portions of my last test drive and had a total blast.

When I test drove the S last October I wrote about it here: TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

So 3 days ago, the Tesla girl who took me for a test drive when I lived in L.A. sent me another email offering another test drive. The email touts the new Raven model improvements including suspension and range. Evidently they want to clear EOQ inventory as well; this is the email they sent

View attachment 458210

I told her I live in Vegas now and asked if I could do it here, she said no problem.
I gave her times and dates that worked for me, said I am interested in driving the fastest Raven S they have but I'm also curious about the 3.
She hooked it up! I'll be driving BOTH the Raven S and the P3D this weekend and I'm stoked about that. Give me any ideas on things to try or do to make it interesting. I drove SUPER aggressively for portions of my last test drive and had a total blast.

When I test drove the S last October I wrote about it here: TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable
Picked up a Model X LR a couple weeks ago. Definitely better in every way than the 2016 we had. Even better than the 2018 P100D that I have. You'll have a blast in a 2019 S LR!

View attachment 458210

I think if you aren't going to take delivery by the end of the quarter you should stop wasting their time. You can do this any time.

I think if you aren't going to take delivery by the end of the quarter you should stop wasting their time. You can do this any time.
Weird comment. I'm going to take advantage of what they offered me with absolutely no coaxing or prodding on my end. It's gonna get them good press, and they probably already know that. Besides who says I can't buy one that day? Weird comment.

While not looking for advice, I am looking for insight.

My mother recently passed away and part of her estate consists of a fairly large (for me) sum of shares in an individual dividend stock that currently earns about 4% annually. I am looking for the pros and cons of transferring them to other stock (aka Tesla) or just letting them sit. If I transferred them it would roughly double my Tesla position. Being very bullish on Tesla I know what I want to do but I am looking for anything I may be missing (tax issues, etc).

Any insight would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Dan

Depends on the amount and your age. Also, if dividend gets favored tax treatment or not.

Otherwise, the 60/40 balanced approach works in general for the FI type. I will definitely take the others advice about boglehead portfolio and diversify the dividend stock to other ones churning out dividends as well.

There are even etf nowadays that balance the whole thing for you so you don't need to buy 3 etf anymore and juat 1.

When you get older, cash flow makes a difference. I will guesstimate around the age 35 to start the process.

OT... The Tesla Truck must have a built in ice chest, and they should be able to charge other Teslas. Service trucks? Street charging?

It would be a pretty sweet feature if you could tap into another Tesla's charge. For example if someone poorly planned their route and ran out of juice and you're driving by with almost full charge. I would happily lend them a few Kwh to get to the closest charger.