Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is in EOQ crunch mode. If there isn't a realistic chance you will buy a car that day, it's insensitive to do this this weekend instead of waiting until October.
Ridiculous premise. They invited me. You're the insensitive one and this is some really silly type of virtue gymnastics.

Mercedes is panicking. They have nothing to respond with in their product pipeline for the impending Plaid Model X, an SUV that will trounce an AMG 63 coupe around the 'ring with 7 pax. Hence the venom-favored tweet from their Jr. VP of KantGottNothingburg.

[ ] First they ignore you
[ ] then they laugh at you
[X] then they fight you
[ ] then you win

The body says:
“LG Chem has reportedly begun preparing its facilities to meet the electric car maker’s demand

In the headline, replace ‘starts’ with ‘prepares for’.

It’s also been rumoured (Carsonight) that packs, up to 3000/wk, will come from GF1. Both right? It’s possible, assuming China has a plan to ramp beyond 3000/wk. That seems right. They idea of ramping a state-of-the-art factory to 3000/wk and declaring ‘mission accomplished’ is absurd.

It’s also been rumoured (Carsonight) that packs, up to 3000/wk, will come from GF1.
Almost certainly not completed battery packs. We know this because:
  1. Tesla shipped the v1 battery module/pack building equipment from GF1/Sparks to GF3/Shanghai
  2. Sony announced during their 2019 AGM that they would be providing some "small amount" of battery cells for initial production at Shanghai
So it's most likely they'll send bare cells to be assembled into packs in China without shipping the bulk commodity aluminum packs across the Pacific.

Cheers!

Tesla is in EOQ crunch mode. If there isn't a realistic chance you will buy a car that day, it's insensitive to do this this weekend instead of waiting until October.
Nah, Tesla knows what they're doing. @SpaceCash appears to have the means to buy a new Tesla vehicle on the spot. There's nothing like a very positive test drive to generate a sale. The corollary of this is that, if you're sort of hankering for a new Tesla vehicle, you should absolutely avoid driving one until you're prepared to part with some cash.

Almost certainly not completed battery packs. We know this because:
  1. Tesla shipped the v1 battery module/pack building equipment from GF1/Sparks to GF3/Shanghai
  2. Sony announced during their 2019 AGM that they would be providing some "small amount" of battery cells for initial production at Shanghai
So it's most likely they'll send bare cells to be assembled into packs in China without shipping the bulk commodity aluminum packs across the Pacific.

Cheers!

Why not both? Especially if they are shipping cells from GF1.
Short term: GF1 packs
Long term: GF3 packs
Allows them to focus on the vehicle line now and the pack line later instead of pack production being in the critical path.

GAAP accounting for Tesla's solar VIEs is complex and obscure. A quick summary:
1. Tesla gets monthly checks from customers
2. Tesla uses this cash to pay non-recourse lenders and VIE equity partners
3. Tesla downloads the quarter's VIE GAAP profit/loss from a random number generator
4. Tesla's cash flow statement reconciles item 3 with items 1 and 2.

(Some details may be a bit off)

Tesla doesn't disclose enough detail to figure out what the numbers really mean, but if you damage your brain enough reading old SCTY SEC filings, press releases and investor presentations you discover the VIEs are pretty close to cash neutral. The cash that comes in from customers each month mostly goes to lenders and equity partners. This situation continues until the lenders and equity partners are fully paid off in 10-15 years, after which Tesla gets to pocket most of the cash flows.

At least that's the plan. Large scale warranty repair or customer default issues could mess this nice scheme up. Tesla's disclosure in this regard is extremely weak - e.g. WalMart stopped paying on 248 large systems last year and investors heard nothing until the lawsuit.

Anyway, Bill C is as good as it gets on Tesla VIE accounting, but I disagree with his interpretation. The real issue is what Tesla's VIEs receive each month vs. what they must pay. Bill doesn't address that, mostly because Tesla doesn't disclose it. He instead focuses on the income statement and cash flow amounts, which Tesla does disclose, but which are pretty much meaningless.

Bottom line - it's a nothingburger. The main issue with SCTY is warranty/default, which Tesla does not disclose. The other issue is the shareholder lawsuit over the SCTY bailout. I won't predict the outcome since these cases always seem to turn on some legal technicality that seems irrelevant to me. Some of the info coming out in the filings is pretty damaging, though.

Driving across Wyoming and Nebraska on Interstate 80 on Saturday and again today, and the free advertising for Tesla has been insane! I have seen at least 12 car carriers, and all but one of them were full of brand new Teslas. You can’t help but notice them with the frequency you see them. And they make every Tesla driving on the Interstate stand out as well. Whether intentional or not, trucking Teslas to the East Coast for shipping to Europe was a stroke of advertising genius! It sincerely gives the appearance that they are outselling every other car manufacturer at least 10 to 1 since perception is reality.

Fake news. Elon did not "like" the post, he's simply tagged in the post.

Not accurate. He liked the tweet.

04053256-4E89-4181-A843-D5BC1CCA6629.jpeg

Mod: I created a new thread Spiegel is a scumbag (out of main) for discussion of him and his tweets. I'm not at all sure that I shouldn't have just deleted them. but anyway, all followups in that other thread please. Any more here will be deleted out of hand. --ggr

non-mod: Mind you, I completely agree with all the sentiments. I will be reporting his next tweets referring to his unrepentant attitude.

There are also plenty of stories of delivery dates being pushed back, so Australia is definitely going through delivery hell right now. Here’s another data point: I was supposed to take delivery today (Monday) but it was delayed at the last minute. Tesla is definitely going to have undelivered cars in Australia at the end of the quarter. I’m not a fan of the wave, so I’m okay with that. (As long as they deliver my car.)

I guess I was commenting on the peak rate of deliveries, rather than the success/failure of individual deliveries.

I suspect the failure rate would be around 10%, so that is my hunch on the number of undelivered cars..

For the higher volume cites Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane, the majority of cars are already in that city, at least for deliveries scheduled through to the end of September.

Even though my order has gone very smoothly so far, I know it can go wrong..... I also know Tesla is highly motivated to deliver before the end of the quarter...