Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do we have any precedent for GAAP on deferred revenue for software? For a physical good it's cut and dry, you don't recognize the revenue until the product is delivered. But for a piece of software, would the revenue be recognized on actual download by the customer? Or could it be recognized as soon as the investment in coding the software is done and it begins to ship.

I would guess the revenue from software updates can be recognized based on when it's available for download.

Vincent on Twitter

upload_2019-9-26_17-18-15.png

Tesla ‘has a shot’ at record 100,000 cars this quarter – Elon Musk in leak email

"In an email sent to employees and obtained by Electrek today, Elon Musk said that the record is within reach:
“We have a shot at achieving our first 100,000 vehicle delivery quarter, which is an incredibly exciting milestone for our company!”

"Like it has been the issues in previous quarters, the challenge again appears to be deliveries.

"Musk states that net orders are “tracking to reach about 110,000” for the quarter, which an incredible amount of demand for the automaker."​

EDIT:

The Electrek article has been updated. Refresh for addtional details.

"The CEO said that the focus is to get the vehicles in the hands of customers who can take delivery by the end of the month:
“The challenge is making sure that we have the right car variants in the right locations and rallying as much as our company resources as possible to help with the end of the quarter deliveries.”

Its truly up to California now (and of course @SpaceCash ). California is half of the U.S. in terms of volume, and the West Coast has been starved of deliveries for the first 2 months of Q3. Can we do an extra 5K in the last days? You betcha! I say we hit this out of the park. :D

EDIT2: SP feeling a tad squeezie, wot? ;)
Today's High: $241.47​

CH33RS!

Last edited:

I wish people would just publish the full email when these leak.

From Fred's article:
“We have a shot at achieving our first 100,000 vehicle delivery quarter, which is an incredibly exciting milestone for our company!”
Like it has been the issues in previous quarters, the challenge again appears to be deliveries.
Musk states that net orders are “tracking to reach about 110,000” for the quarter, which an incredible amount of demand for the automaker.

Looks very positive. Hopefully Fremont production can ramp even further in Q4.
I would guess deliveries are tracking quite close to production given they already went into the quarter with relatively low inventory position.

I wish people would just publish the full email when these leak.

Hey, why should Fred leak the email in a single article if he can leak the first paragraph in one early article "to be updated", with two updates that publishes another paragraph, a follow up article a few hours later with new information and an invaluable, never to be missed "Elektrec's Take", and a final article that publishes the 100%, Ultimate, Complete Leaked Email From Elon?

Five times the clicks, no downsides, what's not to like about that? :D

Tesla ‘has a shot’ at record 100,000 cars this quarter – Elon Musk in leak email .

"In an email sent to employees and obtained by Electrek today, Elon Musk said that the record is within reach:

"Like it has been the issues in previous quarters, the challenge again appears to be deliveries.

"Musk states that net orders are “tracking to reach about 110,000” for the quarter, which an incredible amount of demand for the automaker."​

This is good. Hopefully next Q is an even higher record. Simple math says they need to average over 100,000 deliveries this Q and next just to break into the low range of 2019 guidance with 360,000 deliveries.

Edit: I believe it will take a lot more than 360,000 to make a significant impact on SP at EOY. If you recall, it was just earlier this year that he was talking 400,000 deliveries in 2019.

Last edited: