Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Auto workers fear EVs will be job killers

Auto workers fear EVs will be job killers

"Dread over the prospect that plug-in cars -- which have fewer parts and require less labor to build -- will doom auto jobs helped spark the first UAW strike against General Motors in over a decade. Ford Motor Co. and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, which are rolling their own battery-powered models to market in the coming years, could face a similar fate if they’re unable to quell the UAW’s concerns that widespread adoption of EVs endangers the employment of 35,000 union members.

“There’s a potential for our jobs to be gone -- they don’t need us anymore,” said Tim Walbolt, president of the UAW local representing workers at a Fiat Chrysler transmission components plant near Toledo, Ohio. “It scares us.”"
How long before vandalism/violence to Teslas/owners in Michigan and Ohio?

Curious. These emails that seem to pop out just before the end of the quarter. I always wonder how the US SEC looks at these. Could they not be looked at as a CEO trying to influence the stock price? I have no idea how American stock market rules are. Just curious.
It's not every quarter, just the good ones. Q1's terrible number did not leak.

Elon is just trolling the SEC. I'm sure they're fuming behind closed doors, but unless Elon was dumb enough to send Martin Viecha a note that said "Make sure Fred@Electrek gets this one" or something then there's nothing they can do about it.

Nothing to do with Trump, everything to do with a fear of change and corporate re-education of its employees. I'm sure there were a lot of stable workers that found their jobs to be irrelevant back in the early 1900's too.

Dan
It has everything to do with Trump. If we had a president who understood the direction the industry was going, who then helped put policies into place that would help those transition to a new industry, then maybe they wouldn't fear it as much. They would see their country taking leadership of the problem.

Easy for you to say :p

I'm not sure how many cars the update is being pushed to, but there is finite bandwidth so -- instead of dribbling the update out a few bytes at a time to everyone for a simultaneous delivery -- they are understandably releasing it in stages. Besides, that helps with catching issues earlier (10.1 is already out).

In short, it is how I'd do it. But when you have no visibility into when you will get it, its on pins and needles.

To get it to download do what I did.

Stand on your left foot with your right foot at least 4 inches but no more than six inches off the ground.
Recite the alphabet backwards six times.
If you don't make any errors the download should start within the hour.

To get it to download do what I did.

Stand on your left foot with your right foot at least 4 inches but no more than six inches off the ground.
Recite the alphabet backwards six times.
If you don't make any errors the download should start within the hour.
Done and done. The clock is counting down on that hour :eek::eek::eek:

Am I the only one who feels a little bit disappointed by the fact of only seeing 100'000 deliveries in Q3? I thought of seeing around 105-110k as we've already hit 92-95k in Q2.

Let me guess: When you were four years old you woke up on Christmas morning to a hand-painted wooden horse and a toy revolver, cowboy boots and a Levi jean jacket. When you were five, you were extremely disappointed on Christmas morning because you were expecting a real horse and a revolver that shot real bullets but all you got was a BB gun. :confused:

If I had not just seen that video with my own eyes, I would not have believed they DID any wind tunnel testing....
F24FA1B1-CEF5-4D47-A4ED-1024D6CF3B0C.jpeg

LOL! I’ve never seen a smoke stream faceplant so hard. “Aren’t we going to tilt the windshield more?” “No, aerodynamics is hard. Just double the size of the windshield washer fluid reservoir. We’re gonna have a LOT of bug splats”

View attachment 459675
LOL! I’ve never seen a smoke stream faceplant so hard. “Aren’t we going to tilt the windshield more?” “No, aerodynamics is hard. Just double the size of the windshield washer fluid reservoir. We’re gonna have a LOT of bug splats”

The one bonus is the windshield will be cheap being that flat, jeeps are flying bricks and this is just horrible. I get 14 mpg with a tailwind and why I try to use it only on weekends as its costly to use it for a long commute. I hope they have a big battery..

All Bollinger needs is a contract from US Army once it want to go green ;)
They just need to develop a mobile solar charging array. Replace all those big tanker trucks. This started as half a joke but that may very well have logistics implications. No need for oil supply lines if you have a charging system from the sun.

Bollinger unveils new B1/B2 electric utility truck and pickup - Electrek

614 Horsepower​

Cool!

100 MPH Top Speed​

Ugh that's very low, will struggle on the Autobahn and wont get below 10:00 on the Nürburgring, must be limited by something??

Oh, never mind:

Bollinger-B2-3_4-Front-lead.jpg

Bollinger was clearly trying to save costs by completely eliminating the aero design team.

Also, they should not expect a top score for NCAP and IIHS "pedestrian protection" either - that front is more like a freight train than a modern curved car front that gives pedestrians a chance of survival...

Still whatever it is it’s electric and that is good, hope they sell a lot of cars like that or whatever they wanna call it.

Reactions: madodel
I can’t stop reiterating this:

The solutions to pollution and associated environmental concerns are directly being implemented through Elon and Co. nearly two decades of focused work to establish an economic transformation to sustainable production and consumption of energy.

It is literally the mission statement on their walls.

Elon has been committed to productive *action* for nearly two decades, but yet the big media and many politicians and activists don’t even acknowledge this fact.

How can anyone consider themselves climate activists when they don’t even recognize the work Elon has done as the guiding path to climate action. To recognize we need to support the economic transformation underway. It’s not about Tesla, it’s about the transformation, the structure of national momentum to support entrepreneurs in this direction, to create the environment for thousands of Elons to emerge and accelerate this economic transformation.

I’m sorry, but we need to cut through the noise of always saying action needs to take place, solutions need to be developed or it’s too late, it’s a broken record. This has been the same message for multiple decades now.

The solutions are already here. Action has already begun and thank goodness somehow Elon and Co. were able to break through wall of non action and do something about it.

It’s time to get over ourselves, regardless of how anyone feels about Elon, to ante up. All you politicians and activists that say you are concerned about the environment and the future generations open you eyes and recognize Tesla is our future. Help our next generation build 1000s of Tesla like companies and the next thriving economy built on sustainable energy consumption and production.

Tesla has created the proof of concept, the solution playbook now has a page one. Stop the grandstanding and ignorance and act now. Be humble, be real. Act in the best interest of posterity and our future generations. Recognize the success and advances of Tesla auto and energy and all those in these industries and repeat on the broad scale.

Enough is enough.