Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Denholm delivering cars in Sydney. JPR007 on Twitter

*Edit: To avoid any potential confusion, no that is not my twitter account.

I love Denholm. She was a great presence at the last earnings call. I'm glad we are getting more and more people to speak for Tesla (Zach Kirkhorn) so it isn't all on Elon. We know he isn't the most eloquent speaker so this should free up his time to focus on his grand vision.

Neither did on the first day.

I saw youtubbers plugging in and not getting those speeds.

It was later and software updates came in.

There were tons of videos from the unveiling event showing early access folks charging at 250kW. Tesla never mentioned such charging speeds until after those people were already able to do charge at them.

Wasn't there a taxation change at the start of this year also?

There was, but it hit expensive cars (the tax advantage was cancelled above €50,000), which is why the Dutch bought a lot of Model S and X (and I-Paces) at the end of 2018. Because so many more people can afford a Model 3 we can expect an even madder rush at the end of this year. I’m surprised it is already this strong, three months before the tax cliff. Hence my bold prediction for Q4.

Small fail by Tesla PR team. Car summons opposite direction of parking lot flow. Couldn’t have chosen a better parking lot example? :rolleyes:
Tesla on Twitter

Brings up an interesting question of what would it have done had there already been a car going in the correct direction of that one-way parking? Would it back up by itself or the owner just needs to come rescue it? It doesn’t seem to recognize any of the painted markings on the ground yet, either.

• Disagree
Reactions: SpaceCash
Good question on that twitter feed, who is liable when the car hits something or someone in Summons mode?

It’s clearly pointed out in the video:
298F9598-4F2D-4E2E-A796-C95105AEFC32.jpeg

Attachments

• ACABE006-DD53-40DD-B00F-1E25A54DF812.jpeg
    ACABE006-DD53-40DD-B00F-1E25A54DF812.jpeg
    210.9 KB · Views: 34
Reactions: JusRelax
Sure, Tesla’s “Smart Summon” Is Cool, But Is It Legal?

Click-bait article on Forbes that isn't worth your time. Here's an outline (non-paid) version, if you must: Outline - Read & annotate without distractions

Funny thing, their best justification for that silly FUD title came from our very own KbM3.

@kbM3, did they contact you to make sure it wasn't just a joke? (I thought it might be originally)

New speaker is not just for pedestrians apparently...

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Hopefully strength holds up here and the macro's rebound in the last hour. Though we've seen quite a few times over the past month when Tesla would hold up throughout the day while macro's dropped and when the macro's recovered in the last 1-2 hours of trading......Tesla stayed completely flat :rolleyes:

the project was jointly funded by the Electric Vehicle Institute and the Maryland Energy Administration, which provided a grant of $786,000

Is that a typo or is that for real???
If given $786,000, I’d surely give it a try to.
This level of funding is not sustainable surely.

I didn't read any article on this particular project and I don't know numbers for it anyway, but if they remediated the ground contamination from having gas tanks it might well have cost that much. At least I'm hoping that money was used for clean up.

Reactions: X Fan
The upside for today.... at least we aren't NIO investors.

NIO 1.745
-0.215 (-10.9694%)

As rough as it's been for Nio, a 1.8 billion valuation for a company that only has 1-2 quarters of insolvency left and is dealing with a slow down in sales while expenses are growing, is still pretty crazy high.

FYI, since I saw some mention of FactSet consensus. As of 9/25, consensus estimates were as follows.

Total deliveries: 96,944

Model 3: 78,445
Model S: 8,567
Model X: 8,788
(sum does not match total delivery consensus due to only a subset of analysts projecting specific models)

Revenue: $6,442
EPS GAAP: -$1.39
EPS non-GAAP: -$0.43
FCF: +$35M

Obviously these will change but hopefully there's an update before earnings.

Source: Q3-19 Consensus Estimates Ahead of Delivery & Production Report (09.25.19) - TechCast Daily

As rough as it's been for Nio, a 1.8 billion valuation for a company that only has 1-2 quarters of insolvency left and is dealing with a slow down in sales while expenses are growing, is still pretty crazy high.

Not advice, and I’m not about to invest myself. But I feel like the Chinese government would be both capable and interested in bailing out the “Tesla of china”

Not advice, and I’m not about to invest myself. But I feel like the Chinese government would be both capable and interested in bailing out the “Tesla of china”

Ya know, if this was a year ago, I would definitely agree that the Chinese government would not allow Nio to collapse. But given their attitude towards Tesla and the way Tesla has embraced China and Chinese customs and culture and made it clear they want to expand even more......I think China is ok with letting local EV companies fold now.

Ya know, if this was a year ago, I would definitely agree that the Chinese government would not allow Nio to collapse. But given their attitude towards Tesla and the way Tesla has embraced China and Chinese customs and culture and made it clear they want to expand even more......I think China is ok with letting local EV companies fold now.

Tesla needs to pay those big taxes, not sure the others had to do the same?

@kbM3, did they contact you to make sure it wasn't just a joke? (I thought it might be originally)

New speaker is not just for pedestrians apparently...

No they didn’t contact me. Weren’t you aware they don’t need corroboration for negative stories on Tesla, only the positive ones?

I’ve been cognizant that enemies are monitoring this forum, so I’m always hesitant to say something negative. This incident’s negative connotation just didn’t occur to me.

Tesla needs to really expand their color palette, or when there are millions and millions of identically colored Model 3’s and Y’s, there will be lots of confusion in general:)

Yes, it was a real incident.