Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes - talk about confirmation bias...there is one point in the audio where he says that Tesla Bulls will state their argument blah blah blah..."before he has had a chance to block them". He blocks Telsa Bulls not because they are abusive....only because they are making an opposing point. These guys are definitely walking on the edge of a cliff blindfolded.

A apparent inexperienced retail trader (RyanDoherty47) sent out tweets before and after bankrupting himself last week by short selling TSLA.
Although I had never had any interaction with this person, I realized that I was blocked by them on Twitter.

Since my tweets are notoriously pro-Tesla I conclude from this and similar anecdotes that short sellers maintain a list of Twitter accounts to block, to filter out pro-Tesla opinions from short sellers who can somehow subscribe to this list of accounts to block.

The fact that an inexperienced trader is duped into preventing themselves from getting balanced information relevant to their trading is alarming, since it evidently causes these inexperienced traders to be left behind as bag holders - misinformed to the point that they even thank the more experienced short sellers that caused them to receive the biased trading information in the first place for this "learning experience".

I am acutely aware of the fact that my TSLA gains is someone else's loss, but to make one's gains by manipulating unsuspecting traders into only seeing the information you want them to see, that must require a very disturbed moral compass.

So those short sellers that are actively forwarding their prophesies of Tesla's impending doom in the hope that these prophesies become self-fulfilling, I must say that if they get bankrupted by a Tesla short squeeze, then that is fine by me.

A apparent inexperienced retail trader (RyanDoherty47) sent out tweets before and after bankrupting himself last week by short selling TSLA.
Although I had never had any interaction with this person, I realized that I was blocked by them on Twitter.

I took a look at his feed. He should have stuck with sports. Not sure how you can blow all that money you got being a professional athlete, but maybe it is easy come easy go.

This surprise quarter was due in part by cost cutting moves. Read the supercharger forums. It appears that part of Tesla's cost cutting was deferred maintenance of Superchargers. This isn't that big a deal, but at some point Tesla will have to spend money in this area again, as well as for some of the other cost cutting moves they did (whatever they are).

I will have to assume this is in reference to Superchargers in the USA. During 2019 Tesla upgraded the European superchargers to also feature the CCS-plug of the Model 3 - and they upgraded the stall(pair) power from 120 kW to between 125 kW and 150 kW.

On the topic of high-power charging, it is ironic that the 200 kW charging network that is being rolled out in the EU by Ionity is almost exclusively used for high-power charging by Teslas. I was supposed to be charged 8 CHF for a 55 kWh charge session, but because I had to call Ionity customer service to fix an immediately aborted charge session, I was actually charged nothing...

....And Lora gets the call from the bullpen; albeit as a relief pitcher vs starter.
Tesla's Elon Musk knew SolarCity faced a 'liquidity crisis' at time of 2016 deal, legal documents show

I saw this appear as a ‘BREAKING NEWS” notification from the CNBC app with less than 10 minutes to go in the trading session. SUch a blatant attempt to drive the stock price down into the close....which pretty much failed compared to the normal bear raids coordinated with news hit pieces.

I have no doubt this was coordinated with the shorts, due to the timing and content of the piece (it references blatant already disproven FUD lines from shorts, and also describes Plainsite (a notorious TSLAQ member running a “charity”) as a “legal transparency advocate”.

Despite the depressing lack of journalistic integrity on display, on the bright side is is very positive that this piece landed with basically zero impact, and this is the worst the shorts could come up with since earnings.

The market simply doesn’t buy the shorts narrative anymore. Its not a surprise even given the massively wrong predictions they have made this year (and forever essentially).

Since my tweets are notoriously pro-Tesla I conclude from this and similar anecdotes that short sellers maintain a list of Twitter accounts to block, to filter out pro-Tesla opinions from short sellers who can somehow subscribe to this list of accounts to block.

The fact that an inexperienced trader is duped into preventing themselves from getting balanced information relevant to their trading is alarming, since it evidently causes these inexperienced traders to be left behind as bag holders - misinformed to the point that they even thank the more experienced short sellers that caused them to receive the biased trading information in the first place for this "learning experience".

I am acutely aware of the fact that my TSLA gains is someone else's loss, but to make one's gains by manipulating unsuspecting traders into only seeing the information you want them to see, that must require a very disturbed moral compass.

So those short sellers that are actively forwarding their prophesies of Tesla's impending doom in the hope that these prophesies become self-fulfilling, I must say that if they get bankrupted by a Tesla short squeeze, then that is fine by me.
The frosting on the cake with this guy is his aspirations to become a CFA. WTF?

"A chartered financial analyst (CFA) is a globally-recognized professional designation given by the CFA Institute, (formerly the AIMR (Association for Investment Management and Research)), that measures and certifies the competence and integrity of financial analysts. Candidates are required to pass three levels of exams covering areas, such as accounting, economics, ethics, money management, and security analysis."

Anybody with access to www.spiegel.de ?

They seem to have an interesting article: "Von 100 auf null"
DER SPIEGEL 44/2019

Very interested in seeing at least the cliffs.
I have it. Neither English nor German is my native language, so there might be some funny phrases. Also, it's a veeery long article. I have condensed it a lot, though it may not look like it:

ID.3 is ready to start serial production, and will eventually going to produce 330.000 cars per year. Death-knell to ICE cars, end of an era etc. Some paragraphs on the German car, what it means and how it got to that point. Then the climate crisis came, but the German auto industry (GAI) thought they could deal with it by A) making more efficient diesel cars and B) by ignoring it/cheating their way out of it. Now dieselgate has forced GAI to face the challenge. However, they're very late to the game, and while GAI were twiddling their thumbs, Tesla and the Chinese car companies have rethought the car in completely new ways: the computer is now the heart of the car, instead of an ingredient. Both Tesla and the Chinese see a car as a powerful mobility tool.

Spiegel have visited Tesla-Fremont, a Chinese company, german suppliers and R&D departmenst of GAI, and "the findings are worrying".

Daimler has "to change fundamentally ... If not, hard times come for us" They're willing to do everything possible, not just work on e-mobility. Self-driving is important, building them, networking them. Do they use their money correctly? Fx. they're working on their own voice assistant, but fear Alexa and google assistant will overtake them.

Some paragraphs on Waymo - 18,000 km per disengagement. For BMW that same number is 8 km, and for Mercedes 2.4 km... Can the German Car "survive" as just a waymo-outfitted taxa, and will GAI be just suppliers? More on the importance of self-driving, having the car not be idle etc. Major threat to GAI. Coorporate and become suppliers or fight and die. GAI have considered buying shares in Waymo, but the price is far too high - more than the worth of Daimler, VW and BMW combined.

Is this the iphone moment? Claims there is not yet a perfect car, though Tesla might disagree. Cue visit to Fremont. Very long description of the factory and philosophy of Tesla, but nothing new to us :D. Quote and summary: "Nobody laughs anymore." Model 3 was found to be years ahead in important areas: batteries, much better networked (I assume they mean wired, but it's not clear). More on over-the-air updates, how deeply embedded they are; sentry-mode; smart summon.

A bit on how GAI tried to get closer ties with Tesla (Daimler investing in Tesla etc.) However, now they want to fight Tesla head-on. Is that a good idea? (asks Spiegel)

Back to German and BMWs 1500 people who work on self-driving. Aims for level 3 in 2021. Wants to partner with Waymo (or something, it's unclear to me). Spiegel: "Sounds like hope, not strategy. It is clear that traditional carmakers are not in a position to make the necessary innovations on their own. " Daimler and BMW are cooperating on self-driving, but it's not clear that it's working, or if they need funding from VW.

Now to China, with the smog and their many EV-initiatives. Clear that ICE has no future in China. Good infrastructure, no need for cars.

In 2017, BMW celebrated 100,000 EVs sold worldwide. Not much left of that self-confidence. Sales figures are far behind original expectations, and "It takes a long time to gather the necessary technical experience". Much bashing of BMW: "The fact that BMW does not want to make a clear decision in favor of a control technology, namely e-cars with a battery, almost sounds like surrender." I3 was a financial disaster, their lead has long disappeared. Even more bashing. They do not have the money to turn around even if they wanted. The big ambitions now belong to others.

German EVs are too expensive, too few and too bland.

How many jobs will Germany, with their ICE expertise and suppliers, lose when the simple EV motor takes over? VW is investing a lot in EVs, and the government is working on better incentives. [German] manufacturers are doing more parts in-house, instead of using suppliers.

Suppliers will be hit hard, but are changing to EV and battery components. "We're basically done with the transformation [from ICE to EV components]," says Wolf, a supplier. That just does not help, as long as the German car makers are not yet done with their transformation [from ICE to EV]. And they are not finished.

The end.

Last edited:
upload_2019-10-28_15-33-5.png

Tesla New Manufacturing Building

Alteration Industrial
To consider an application for a Conformance Review for Tesla's new manufacturing building located at 45500 Fremont Blvd. in the South Fremont Community Plan Area.

I have to ask, since a lot of Tesla’s mission centers on reducing global emissions...

Are burning shorts negating the positives of Tesla vehicles?

Ummm hmm, just speculating from a core principles perspective, it seems probable that burning shorts well would ultimately reduce their emissions... significantly. Perhaps even the hotter the burn, the fewer emissions going forward.
Passing through max-TSLAQ. Resistance will decrease as nominal trajectory and altitude gains continue.

Tweet from Dana, quote from a Bloomber article:
"Elon Musk will have to go to trial in December after a federal judge rebuffed his latest request to throw out a defamation lawsuit filed by a U.K. caver after Musk referred to him as a “pedo guy.”"

I really hope Musk pays the fine and ends this PR debacle. Unworth was a rude asshole, but Musk fell into the trap with all his shoes¹.

¹ Here's the whole story: https://www.quora.com/What-should-people-know-about-Vern-Unsworth-s-lawsuit-against-Elon-Musk

View attachment 470891

Tesla New Manufacturing Building

Alteration Industrial
To consider an application for a Conformance Review for Tesla's new manufacturing building located at 45500 Fremont Blvd. in the South Fremont Community Plan Area.

Is this the most direct permit for new space for Model Y?

I think the previous permits were a little vague, but I can't see "New Manufacturing Building" being for anything else but Y.

• Informative
Reactions: wipster
"Elon Musk will have to go to trial in December after a federal judge rebuffed his latest request to throw out a defamation lawsuit filed by a U.K. caver after Musk referred to him as a “pedo guy.”"

I really hope Musk pays the fine and ends this PR debacle. Unworth was a rude asshole, but Musk fell into the trap with all his shoes¹.

¹ Here's the whole story: https://www.quora.com/What-should-people-know-about-Vern-Unsworth-s-lawsuit-against-Elon-Musk

It's settlement not fine, ya it would be less hassle to settle.

Tesla is placing focus back on their solar and energy storage business in a big way, and it showed in Q3. Here is some information to consider for Q4.

ak36yw4pqbv31.png

Good catch! Conservatively calculating with same 23% GM, we're looking here at some neat 1200/477*88 = $220M of additional profit just from the Moss Landing project. I start to like the idea that TE will become bigger than cars.

¹ Here's the whole story: What should people know about Vern Unsworth’s lawsuit against Elon Musk? - Quora
As expected we will see increasing FUD and negative news. Coincidence or not, it will be there.

Reactions: humbaba and madodel
Is this the most direct permit for new space for Model Y?

I think the previous permits were a little vague, but I can't see "New Manufacturing Building" being for anything else but Y.

Would be a little late for the first Y line as this is just planning stage. Makes sense to make a big expansion at Fremont though to allow for extra lines in general for whatever models need it - be it for existing or future model types (and maybe even some next generation battery lines? might be interesting to eventually have Fremont & Nevada both be combined battery and vehicle plants like GF3 will be)

I have to take issue with that point.

They can't have a disturbed moral compass if it doesn't exist in the first place. ;)

Would be a little late for the first Y line as this is just planning stage. Makes sense to make a big expansion at Fremont though to allow for extra lines in general for whatever models need it - be it for existing or future model types (and maybe even some next generation battery lines? might be interesting to eventually have Fremont & Nevada both be combined battery and vehicle plants like GF3 will be)

Pickup! My big conundrum with the pickup was where the heck are they going to build it if they plan on releasing it within the next two years? Do we have any sense how large this additional building could be, or how large of empty space is currently there?

• Helpful
Reactions: Cohiba
Would be a little late for the first Y line as this is just planning stage.

We know they are reworking space in the existing footprint, but i recall that the full plan for Y will require some expansion of the factory.

I guess it's possible that the initial plan is low volume and then they ramp up to 1000 per week by the summer using this new construction.

Reactions: Thekiwi