Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to CR Model X is the red headed stepchild.

upload_2019-2-1_22-30-21.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: MXWing
Getting a fact wrong is one thing. Being a financial analyst and apparently lacking a 6th grade level understanding of how math and percentages work is quite another.

The bigger problem isn't just that 91% of 93% isn't 84% but 84.6% (rounded to 85% if a decimal point is too difficult to print), but that in 2018 Tesla's workforce also grew by +30%, so the real growth number is 84.6% of 130%, which is 110%.

TL;DR: Tesla's workforce grew by +10% last year.

The bigger problem isn't just that 91% of 93% isn't 84% but 84.6% (rounded to 85% if a decimal point is too difficult to print), but that in 2018 Tesla's workforce also grew by +30%, so the real growth number is 84.6% of 130%, which is 110%.

TL;DR: Tesla's workforce grew by +10% last year.

Slightly more complicated than that, since The 91% was likely a smaller number, but yes, caught that too.

• Informative
Reactions: Fact Checking
Remind me again how EVERY 1ST MONTH OF EVERY QUARTER goes?

Shocked pikachu here.

Looks like you didn't read the table either!

Look closely at the table that boudette referenced in his tweet that jhm was referring to. Even if he were dyslexic, why didn't he notice the percentage was black (indicating a gain) and not red (indicating a loss)?

Where do they find these people.
The guy thinks Tesla is going to make the $35,000 in China and ship to the US.

Analyst: 'Trump is going to come down on' Tesla

You would think they would quote actual research analysts who covered Tesla if they are going to base the headline of the story on his quote. That way they wouldn't be publishing stories saying Tesla is going to shift production to China to supply U.S. demand.

Oh, wait, he was a research analyst who covered Tesla. :oops:

Obviously, this was an attempt to hit the share price. I think most investors are finally seeing through all the biased, misleading and just plain factually incorrect coverage of Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: macman
Slightly more complicated than that, since The 91% was likely a smaller number, but yes, caught that too.

It's probably quite a bit more complicated than that: when was the +30% reached? The end result is different whether it was before or after the -9% layoffs in June: if the order was +30%, -9%, -7% then we get around +10% total, if the order on the other hand was -9%, +43 [here the +30% top is reached], -7%, then the combination is around +21%. (Exactly how much will probably become apparent from the 10-K, to be filed in a few weeks.)

But in any case, not -16% and not -15% either. :D

• Informative
Reactions: humbaba

I'm also glad to see a spin-free Electrek's take:

"Electrek’s Take

I can believe it.

There are not that many vehicles out there that are just so fun to drive, don’t burn gas, come with always improving software, and also look stunning in my opinion.

At this point, I have referred over 100 Model 3 sales and I know even more people who own one, and I can’t recall one person who doesn’t love the car.

That sounds almost impossible, yet the Model 3 did it.

It’s not to say that all those people had a perfect experience with the vehicle to date, but they are overall all happy with it and in most cases, it convinced them to never go back to gas."​

Look closely at the table that boudette referenced in his tweet that jhm was referring to. Even if he were dyslexic, why didn't he notice the percentage was black (indicating a gain) and not red (indicating a loss)?
What worries me is that Boudette may be gaslightling. Not sure that is it intentional, he simply saw what he wanted to see. So grabbing 6,582 fit the narrative he wanted to project. So he didn't check to see if he got his facts right (really bad journalism). Then by Twitting the 6,582 number as "recent" January, he sets up readers to see that as they look at the table, if they look at all. When expectations are "confirmed" by seeing that number, it reinforces the false narrative that was set up. People doubt their own correct reading of it when they see the labels are switched around.

So all in all it is a very strong example of gaslighting. We are all prone to get tricked by this. I had to look at it several times and read other people's reactions before I felt confident that I was reading it correctly. My own sense of self-doubt in what my own eyes were showing me is exactly the effect of gaslighting.

Anecdotal evidence from the chinese i met travelling. Rich 2nd gen kids are pretty tall. 6'1 and above for males. 5'10 for women.

They'll be the ones buying teslas.

Of course, someone is refute this by posting datas of average chinese height that includes malnourished rural population.
Certain part of China have different average height and some are taller. So I agree.

The suggestion by some here for the long wheelbase is the elderly are needing the longer leg room. I’m saying this is completely false as that generation is pretty short on average. Larger car equals luxury in their eyes so they want to pay less. And lastly which Chinese can resist a bargain?

I’ve decided to know the bear. To know the bear, I must become the bear.

And the TSLA bear is pretty dumb.

Let’s ignore the YoY growth. Or PEG growth. Or let’s move the EPS target to be a miss when bankruptcy was the original goal post.