Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At the moment ggr is somewhere over the Pacific, so we cannot consult him. But the rest of the mods have decided to make an exception and allow all Cybertruck discussion on this big day for Tesla and us all, and also a few days after the unveiling. The exception being pictures of all kinds of APCs and weirdmobiles. Enjoy!

Also worth noting that in cold weather, many people have to plug in their diesel trucks as well just allow them to get to operating temp (or even start). If you already have to plug your truck in every night and THEN go fill it up in the morning...

One of the worst drives of my life was in a diesel box truck. Driving from rural PA to NYC in about 5 degree weather. The engine never got warm and we had to continually scrape ice off the inside of the windshield. Even my Dad's tow vehicle, a top of the line excursion would get really grumpy at start up when temps were far below freezing.

Probably at the time in the past, the entire industry could have went full steam ahead on a solution such as electrification to innovate out of such problems, but here we are today with only one truly dedicated volume electric vehicle company with Tesla.

They all knew this was the direction decades ago and “killed the electric car” instead.

Even now, they still don’t get it. When Tesla was surging onto the market with model s and building the Gigafactory in Nevada, what did Ford do? They hired an interim university Athletic Director as its new visionary CEO to take ford ahead into the 21st century auto market.

When businesses make poor decisions about their future they don’t make it. When they continue to self deceive, when they continue to dismiss brutal honestly as “fake news” they fall hard, and when they set out to protect instead of innovate, the destruction of value comes abruptly and in catastrophic fashion.

As with your truck experience, we consumers are on the lookout for a better solution. If that solution arrives in the form of a “cybertrk” then we will seek it out and all else falls to the wayside, including traditional brands with inferior products and services.

Say they did that... so what? I mean, where's the proof? All the audience will see is a car driving up and then Tesla saying it has gone coast to coast autonomously.

I do think it moderately likely that FSD will get an announcement, I'm just having a hard time seeing how it would be more impactful than him just tweeting it.

With autonomy day they provided participants with an autonomous ride on the public roads. But you can't do that on a stage.

Maybe if the car was in-progress and they put up a live feed?
Maybe they’d put up footage from the drive and possibly bring the reporters they may have had along in the vehicles on stage or at least mention them?

Personally, I think we’re in the window for the coast-to-coast drive announcement.

Best of luck, may the Macros line up in your favor, and may the Truck knock everyone's socks off!

Good of you to share. I'm just trying to figure out how calls work, and what might be within the realm of reasonable possibility... So they expire tomorrow, strike prices 385-415... Just wondering what they cost and when you bought them... and why?
They were all under a hundred bucks for each 100 share options. I'm just dabbling really. I seem to like buying the cheap ones that are likely to expire as worthless and I've just been lucky that we saw TSLA jump in the past few months. I bought most of my calls back in spring/summer and I was able to turn a few $50 plays into a couple grand. Before that I was probably down a grand. ;)

My logic was that I felt the SP would turn around once GF3 was complete and after Q3 delivery and earnings reports. I still have a few expiring in December. That worked out, now I have no idea what to look for next. I recently bought a few more cheapies that expire in May 2020 or so, below the magical 420 number which I think will have a major psychological impact on longs and shorts alike.

Definitely not advice because I definitely don't know what I'm doing. I figure the stock is undervalued compared to the long run so tossing $50 at a possible 1-2k profit is a cheap thrill.

• Helpful
Reactions: UncaNed
I did my own paint/finish analysis using satellite photos. Could just be reflections, but I doubt it--looks like they have some serious problems there at Giga 3. Let me know what you guys think.

paintProblems.png

Also worth noting that in cold weather, many people have to plug in their diesel trucks as well just to allow them to get to operating temp (or even start). If you already have to plug your truck in every night and THEN go fill it up in the morning...

One of the worst drives of my life was in a diesel box truck. Driving from rural PA to NYC in about 5 degree weather. The engine never got warm and we had to continually scrape ice off the inside of the windshield. Even my Dad's tow vehicle, a top of the line excursion would get really grumpy at start up when temps were far below freezing.

Using an Engine Heater in a Diesel Engine for Cold-Weather Starts - dummies

If you’re planning to buy a diesel, be sure to ask which heating devices are included in the purchase price. If you live in a cold climate or do much traveling, consider having several devices available for extreme weather conditions. The following sections describe some of your options.

• Block heaters: Many diesels come equipped with built-in electric-powered block heaters to keep the engine block warm overnight. You just park the vehicle, plug the heater cord into a heavy-duty three-pronged extension cord, and then plug the extension cord into a 110-volt electrical socket that can handle a three-pronged plug. When shopping, don’t skimp on the length of the extension cord — it can be 50 feet to a socket from a motel parking lot! In Alaska, where a block heater is vital, electrical outlets are built right into some parking meters.

When buying a heater, consult the charts at an auto parts store or dealership to match the wattage of the heater to the size of your engine and the range of weather you expect to encounter. When plugged in, a high-wattage heater will run up your electric bills unnecessarily if you have a small engine or don’t expect the temperature to go below zero very often.

• Battery warmers: If your diesel doesn’t start in cold weather and you remembered to plug in the block heater, your battery may be the culprit. Batteries can lose 35 percent of their power at 32 degrees F and as much as 60 percent at 0 degrees F.

This problem has two remedies: You can buy a battery with greater capacity (providing that there’s room for one under the hood), or you can buy a battery warmer. The two most popular models, both of which simply plug into a nearby 110-volt socket, are
    • The “hot plate” warmer, which simply slides under the battery like a cookie sheet and warms its little toesies.

• The “electric blanket” warmer, which wraps around the battery and uses more current than the hot plate version to deal with really frigid situations.
  • Oil warmers: You can buy a heated dipstick to heat the oil in the engine crankcase — you just trade it for your normal dipstick and plug it into an electrical outlet.
If your heater isn’t able to combat the cold effectively, if you have an electric hair dryer and a long enough extension cord to get it to the vehicle, try turning the dryer on and putting the nozzle into the car’s air inlet duct. The warm air should help your engine warm up faster.

Never use engine-starting fluids to start your engine — no matter how eager you are to get underway. The ether in these fluids can ignite at such low temperatures that you risk a fire or an explosion. Although the containers carry instructions, measuring the “safe” proportions required is just too hard. If you feel that you must use this stuff, have a starting-fluid injection kit installed instead.

That is a little out of date, now they have to worry about the DEF, Diesel Exhaust Fluid, freezing as well. So if you don't have all the proper heaters, and the power available to run them, you have to leave the truck running 24/7 or it will freeze up and you have to have it towed to a shop to be thawed out before it can be started again. :eek:

Quarter 4 Earnings Report?

From my post:

"and I don't think we will have another surprise earnings beat in the next 2 quarters."

I hope Q4 results are amazing and give us some more momentum, but even if so, many people won't put a lot of value in it since we've had 2 quarters of consecutive profits, and swung back to massive losses. The only way Q4 moves us up is if it is a beat similar to last quarter. That will be HARD to do again.

I'm half tempted to short F today, but I detest the concept of shorting. But I'd be really concerned if I were an F investor. If Tesla eats just 10% of that market, they are pretty much dead.
Responses online to the Mach-E are interesting. I see lots of "just buy a Tesla", "RIP the mustang brand, we will never buy that", and "looks decent/cool".
What if it can float, sustainably?
Watching the truck plow through a 10 foot deep pool of muddy water would deflate any thoughts that this isn't "a real truck".

• Helpful
Reactions: hoang51
Ex-Tesla critic and 'Shark Tank' judge explains why he likes his TSLA investment
the veteran businessman admitted that he is becoming quite fond of one stock that he has bought recently. That stock was TSLA, which he was able to purchase while shares were down this year. Since buying TSLA stock, O’Leary mentioned that he has seen growth in his investments, and little by little, he believes that Tesla is turning into a “real company that makes money” for its shareholders.

Some of them are finally getting it.

Yeah, right. The guy who has been saying for years that Tesla should be valued the same way as GM or Ford was actually buying TSLA at the low, and just didn't bother to tell anyone. This guy is the Donald Trump of the north.

Live stream
Tesla Pickup Truck: How To Watch Cybertruck Livestream Reveal

Looks like Tesla hasn't published theirs yet, prob. this article will have it listed later.

Livestream from Tesla Explained:

LIVESTREAM will begin at – 7:30 p.m. PST / 3:30 a.m. UTC (London) / 4:30 a.m. UTC+1 (European Mainland)

Your attendance is confirmed for the Cybertruck Unveil LIVESTREAM Unveil on Thursday, November 21 streamed from the Tesla Design Center in Hawthorne, CA.

– Doors open at 7 p.m. PST / 3 a.m. UTC (London) / 4 a.m. UTC+1 (European Mainland)

– Remarks will begin at 8 p.m. PST / 4 a.m. UTC (London) / 5 a.m. UTC+1 (European Mainland)

From my post:

"and I don't think we will have another surprise earnings beat in the next 2 quarters."

I hope Q4 results are amazing and give us some more momentum, but even if so, many people won't put a lot of value in it since we've had 2 quarters of consecutive profits, and swung back to massive losses. The only way Q4 moves us up is if it is a beat similar to last quarter. That will be HARD to do again.
Q3/Q4 2018 were juiced by the $7500 tax credit and only Long Range were available. Tesla is able to make money now with SR+ available is a new ball game.