Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Uk currently charges the EU’s Common External Tariff of 10% on all third country auto imports. Which includes the Tesla Model 3.

If the UK signs a trade deal with the US this will drop to zero. If the UK doesn’t sign a trade deal with the US, there’s still a persuasive argument for dropping the tariff on ZEVs to zero, which would include US made Tesla Model 3s.

I can’t see what circumstance you are imagining that would see the Uk tariff for Model 3s increase because of Brexit, your comment is not informative but actually deeply misleading.

When you will see a big increase in UK registrations of Model 3s is from April 2020 onwards, when Teslas will become zero rate taxable under the company car scheme. This is a very major tax incentive and is massive for Tesla when you consider that in 2018, 57% of all new car registrations in the Uk were made by companies rather than individuals.

Further, the overwhelming majority attained by Boris Johnson has immediately led to a surge in confidence in the UK economy, witness the spike in the pound and FTSE all-share index. The Brexit bounce will be in full swing by April 2020.

The conditions are ripe for the UK to become Tesla’s largest European market in 2020/21 if they execute properly (service, superchargers, marketing).

I take objection to you calling my post “deeply misleading”. I said there might be a potential rush for Teslas, based on the fact a brexit could well mean car import tariff increases (as the UK negotiates trade deals from the countries it imports cars from).

The UK government has designated the UK car industry as one of the few “protected” local industries in any post-brexit trade agreements, which for example meant that in various proposed deals this year in Europe-UK trade talks, the UK has included an increased tariff to 10% on cars imported from the EU.

I find this statement you made, which I have bolded below, which you are stating as fact, is in fact merely an opinion of yours;

”The Uk currently charges the EU’s Common External Tariff of 10% on all third country auto imports. Which includes the Tesla Model 3. If the UK signs a trade deal with the US this will drop to zero“

As far as I’m aware no US-UK trade deal has been signed and announced with the details released, and no guarantees have been made that it will be zero tariffs on cars. So I would look at your own posts first before calling out someone else’s posts as misleading.

Now zero tariffs could indeed happen, which would be great for tesla, even if only for EVs, but we should be weary of thinking its an expected automatic outcome when the UK has stated the UK car manufacturing industry in particular as one of the areas it wants to protect after brexit.

Last edited:
From CNBC. Uh, isn't it like THE key area of electric vehicles?

Wall Street bear concedes Tesla is way ahead of others in one key area of electric vehicles

• “We expect Tesla to highlight why its work in battery gives it a clear competitive advantage vs. other automakers,” Credit Suisse said.
  • While Credit Suisse did not budge its pessimistic stock rating or price target, analyst Dan Levy said he and his team visited Tesla’s Gigafactory 1 in Nevada and came away impressed by its strategy.
  • “We believe Tesla is leading in the areas that will likely define the future of carmaking – software and electrification,” Credit Suisse says.
“Tesla is likely ahead of others on batteries – the core of the electric powertrain,” Levy said.

Levy noted that last year Tesla had a total 44 gigawatt hours (GWh) of battery capacity, with 35 GWh from its Nevada Gigafactory and 9 GWh imported from Panasonic. According to Levy, that’s so far ahead of the industry that it is just shy of the 46 GWh of all other automakers in the world combined. GWh is a unit that measures energy output and represents 1 billion watt hours.
Hypocrisy alert:

I possibly misremember here, but to the best of my recollection Dan Levy was with us when we had the first Investment Professional visit to the Gigafactory on January 4, 2017.

Or maybe Dan just went "Oh! I finally looked through my notes from two years ago! Yes! It's an amazing project and vision they have here!"

So what else does $TSLAQ have to say with the stock going up?

Sitting in the back seat filming while the Tesla is on Smart Summon may explain why some auto insurance companies are refusing to cover $TSLA. If insurance companies are waking up, when will @SenMarkey put pressure on @TheJusticeDept @NHTSA to recall #Autopilot #FullSelfDriving?

Ah, yes, it was terrible when my insurance company gave me a lower rate on insuring my Tesla versus a Honda Civic. Wait, what?

No idea what it means (if anything) but was surprised to see selling outpacing buying at Fidelity on a day like today:
242DB19A-F514-4C10-9D2B-41B7B71DADAA.jpeg

I have a simple investment plan of 27.5% US S&P500 index + 27.5% Can. TSX index + 27.5% Global index + 17.5% fixed income. My ONLY stock is TSLA, and I've capped it at 10% of my portfolio. Since June, it's gone from <6% of portfolio to, as of today, 10.2% of my total portfolio. So to stay within my plan, and keeping with buy-low-and-sell-high strategy, I should sell some of my TSLA.

Must. Sell. TSLA.
Must. Sell. TSLA.
Must. Sell. TSLA.
Can't. Sell. TSLA.
Can't. Sell. TSLA.
Can't. Sell. TSLA.
This is so hard!

giphy.gif
Bad theory leads to bad practice

Hypocrisy alert:

I possibly misremember here, but to the best of my recollection Dan Levy was with us when we had the first Investment Professional visit to the Gigafactory on January 4, 2017.

Or maybe Dan just went "Oh! I finally looked through my notes from two years ago! Yes! It's an amazing project and vision they have here!"
Make that almost three years, minus about three weeks.

The TSLA share price all-time high is $389.61, and the record close is $385.00. Both occurred on 2017 SEP 18. Re-attaining these levels could be a strong technical signal for continuation of the uptrend. It would be especially reassuring to institutional investors. It’s not quite there yet, but this week could continue to be quite interesting. :cool:

Took all day, but finally starting to get media coverage:

Tesla stock zooms to best in two years on China factory optimism
Why would China factory optimism happen today of all days? Have deliveries started? No. So the optimism will happen after that.

We're just getting closer to deliveries announcement.

Btw, anyone thinks TESLACharts contributed?
TeslaCharts on Twitter

I mean, he did say "can't short $TSLA", didn't he? What effect should this have on followers?

Trust me, I’m not looking poor driving a Tesla. How do you explain the poor sales number from Jaggy and Audi EV units?

They are not poor. As of October Jag sold 20,945 units globally. It was said capacity was 25k per year.

Audi can't get enough battery cells from LG Chem it is looking to acquire cells/modules from BYD to manufacture etrons.

Because sales in the US are low doesn't mean they are low globally.

October 2019: I-PACE Accounts For Over 12% Of Jaguar Sales Globally

Once-hailed 'Tesla Killer' Audi e-tron slows down production to just 6 hrs/day: report

Buffett-Backed BYD Close to Battery Supply Deal With Audi

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?