Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're in a similar position. I also did the math, and turns out (long term - Jun'21 & Jan'22) TSLA options are exactly 31% of my account. TSLA stock making up the other 69%.
This just made me realize I am not very bullish.
Added $20k of call orders for tomorrow a.m.
2k interest per year, yes, but tis time is much less risky than a year before, lets hope it pays for itself.

I own hundreds of TSLA shares, no car and a cheap bike. I have no reason to buy a Tesla (although I want anyone who needs a car to get one), and prefer any micromobility or public transportation solution over privately owned-cars. Only because I want to live in peaceful cities and have a cool climate for my children. Anything wrong or funny with that choice?

Despite having a few TSLA stock, and I really like the ride they last couple of weeks, I think driving a Tesla is way more fun! I think you are missing out. Sell 100-150 shares and buy a M3, live your life and have some fun! These numbers are just that..numbers

View attachment 490463 Elon Musk on Twitter

420 secured with FSD X-Mas update
3k139w.jpg

Teslaque be like...

I don't think this will work. You will get your share for $408 or whatever... The best price.

If you really want 420.69, you have to wait for SP to pass the number, then put you limit order in and pray that it returns in a minute to this lower value before resuming the climb.

Or use a buy-stop order (you'll probably get slightly higher price), or use a stop-limit order that some platforms allow (fill is not guaranteed).

I inadvertently bought 100 shares at $420 a few weeks ago when a sold put was assigned early. I did not expect those shares to be almost break even this soon.

Depending on how much premium you got for writing that put contract you should already be well beyond break-even, right? If you wrote it around $350 price levels then you got around $70-$80 premium per share, didn't you?

If you got assigned at around $330 so then you already made $404-$420+$70 = $54 per share profit, or an about +13% unrealized "accidental" profit, right? :p

Last edited:
They all seem to really like EVs.

No. The guy with red hair on the back of his head appears to really hate Musk and Tesla and EV's. Not sure what his background is but he talks as if EV's are kind of a stupid joke that just happen to popular at the moment. His stance does seem to be softening as time passes and he learns more but he's definitely the biggest dinosaur in the room. He adds the least value of anyone I've ever seen on that show.

Or use a stop order (you'll probably get slightly higher price), or use a stop-limit order that some platforms allow.

Depending on how much premium you got for writing that put contract you should already be well beyond break-even, right? If you wrote it around $350 price levels then you got around $70-$80 premium per share, didn't you?

If you got assigned at around $330 so then you already made $404-$420+$70 = $54 per share profit, or an about +13% unrealized "accidental" profit, right? :p

Hah premium was $92 at time of writing - so yes.

Could it be, they will do the coast-to-coast demo drive on FSD, and stream it every Tesla? noo.. thats not it. hrm..

Maybe it's the 3D image showing the entire intersection while you turn through it. Followed by a demo of the real deal from Fremont.. is my guess.

Oh wait, will he just release FSD to everyone for the holidays? Ya, it could be. Depends on his meaning of FSD as in today's version or "Full Self Drive" as in what we're thinking (and due in raw form).

I’ve always understood when Elon said FSD would be feature complete by year end, it simply meant that they had a working set of all the pieces to FSD they needed. From there they would be working on improving and refining it as more AI real world examples got fed into it. At some point that would then be ready to submit for govt approval.

I ordered FSD but don’t think it will be truly Full self driving in the near term. Hard to believe some people seem to think it will be. Heck think about how long it takes a kid to grow up and drive a car and how even at 18 will still make judgment and driving mistakes...and even after many years of driving. That said am impressed with the progress made and heck even the attempt to try this. Look forward to seeing where we are ten, twenty years down the road. In the meantime if used as intended as a driving assist, does provide better driving experience and do believe safer one.

Complete by end of 2020 and ready for approval. That's what I picked up from Tesla somewhere anyway. Different from Feature Complete which could be risky to use, but like you describe really.

Interview of Ross Gerber

He says that he is seeing Tesla China delivering cars. Making it sound like it is China made Model 3s, but I'm not sure I believe that.

He did say they are seeing them deliver cars in China. That could mean delivering them to Tesla stores but he spoke as if it would increase the numbers of the delivery report which implies actually delivering them to customers. Without any strong evidence to the contrary, I tend to believe him. On the other hand, wouldn't we see Chinese customers showing off their new MIC Model 3 on social media? If I don't see that before the end of the month/year, I have to assume they won't start selling them until Jan 1st for financial reasons.

This just made me realize I am not very bullish.
Added $20k of call orders for tomorrow a.m.
2k interest per year, yes, but tis time is much less risky than a year before, lets hope it pays for itself.

Long term options probably are still profitable, but premiums are a bit steep right now imo. Probably profitable, but more risk and less reward.

I bought a handful of Jun'21 $400s @ $16 some time in August.

Then I bought a handful of Jan'22 $400s @ $26-$17 for avg of $22 in September. I had one more order open for $16.5, which barely did not get filled (bunch of options traded for $16.7). Got too greedy on that one.

Then after Cybertruck dip and redoing the math on 2020 and 2021 financials, I decided to roll over my Jan'22 $400s into twice the number of Jan'22 $500s which were trading at about half the price. I thought that SP of $600 by Jan'22 was much more likely than before Q3 due to increased operating efficiency and due to Model Y being ahead of schedule. I also thought that especially the increased operating efficiency will provide significant further upside beyond $600. I also decided to add a few more of these Jan'22 $500s just for good measure, because they were trading @ $37 and I was regretting not buying more of the $400s 2 months earlier.

If all goes according to plan, I'll sell these options some time in 2021, and hopefully add 400-600 or so extra shares to my long position. If I sold all the options now, I'd be able to add 250 shares. And yes, I think in # of shares rather than monetary value, because all I'm trying to do is accumulate as many TSLA shares as I can, and then hold until 2030.

Heck think about how long it takes a kid to grow up and drive a car and how even at 18 will still make judgment and driving mistakes...and even after many years of driving.

So you are saying the bar is not set very high for FSD to be safer than humans! Because that 18-year-old "kid" is a fully legal driver on the road with you and me. And he can legally be on the road 2 years before that!

Sure, it takes some people 5-20 years to become truly proficient and safe drivers and some people NEVER get there. That's why even an imperfect FSD can be an improvement over the status quo. Also, that 18-year-old doesn't have billions of miles of experience under his belt!

Interview of Ross Gerber

He says that he is seeing Tesla China delivering cars. Making it sound like it is China made Model 3s, but I'm not sure I believe that.

I think he means delivering cars from the factory to the delivery centers in preparation for delivery to customers, which we know is correct because we've seen the steady stream of loaded car carriers leaving the factory.