Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
appreciate your thoughts Kruggerand
the biggest 'competition' so to speak is governments stepping in to protect the rest of players in the space, not the players in the space themselves who would soon no longer be players without governments stepping in.

In order for a society to stay competitive in a future world economy it will have to evolve, to except the emerging efficiencies in personal transportation and business.
After giving a presentation in China of the Boring Company’s concept of transportation tunnels under mass population centers, Musk stated that he was starting to believe China was the future.
Moving billions of people in a highly efficient manner would be a competitive advantage and that is what China is doing and going to do.
Any distractions caused by special interest or geo politics in the West only serve the East.
In China there are some 23 supercities that will have populations greater than New York and five alone will combine to house 120 million people, according to projections by Morgan Stanley.
With competition like that do you really want to embrace century old industries and business structures like auto dealerships? Of course not, yet here we are in the US, led by the party of Laissez-Faire Capitalism

This is the reason why so many would happily invest in Tesla and hold for a long time. How many CEO and founders would do what Musk does?

View attachment 491662
Without being a braggart, I strongly suspect that with the likely exception of @jbcarioca, I have known more high-profile CEOs than anyone else active on this forum.

And I can unequivocally and absolutely answer that question. Other than Mr Musk, I can count them on the back of my third hand.

I can't imagine how making improvements to two or three items every week (which is what Elon has said they do in the past) could lead to anything other than massive heterogeneity in the population of Tesla cars on the road. Unless it's something as ridiculous as changing the same insignificant parts over and over. But that would be stupid so I assume that's not what's happening. You change things for a good reason, and obviously the good reason must exceed some threshold of utility, as well as being below some threshold of difficulty and danger.

I don't see anything controversial or even debatable in what I wrote. Obviously there hasn't been huge impact, but I don't know why and I haven't seen anybody suggest why. If I were a tech in a Tesla service center, I would spend a ridiculous amount of time determining exactly what I was working on and making sure I understood the implications before I even touched the car -- meaning I wouldn't be able to function efficiently at all.

As a software guy, I imagine having to debug a customer problem where they have a version of the code somewhat different from any I've ever seen before. Not that big a deal, but it adds extra time and stress and uncertainty. Make every problem like that and the whole system gets stupid and slow. Cars are complex, closely coupled systems, so you can't go making changes without some surprises (see Charles Perrow's excellent Normal Accidents). So what is it that I don't understand?

Story time! Once, back in 2015, a Tesla service center kept my car 1yo P85 for nineteen days trying to figure out why I was getting a whine during acceleration from one of my speakers. I didn't mind because I had a really nice loaner. They took the thing apart looking. In the end they had to replace the wiring harness in the dash, after experimenting with replacing various other things. It turned out to be some wiring that had been rerouted nearer to something that affected one rear speaker, plus inadequate shielding, plus some other thing that had happened to make it matter under some specific circumstances. I was very impressed with their desire and tenacity in fixing the issue, but it was clearly the unexpected result of some minor change. Yikes! How often can they do that sort of thing?

Having found the problem once, it is probably easier 2nd time around, if they can manage to circulate the knowledge..

And having found these problems that hopefully feeds back into the design and build process...

It is hard to see how other car makers are immune from the same issues, perhaps it takes 10 years experience building and supporting EVs to get really good at it. Some percentage of these problems also occur in ICE cars,that doesn't mean they are easier to diagnose.

This is also why Lemon Laws are a good thing, they mean car makers can;t simply give up on high to resolve problems, they need to solve the problem or supply a new car...

In general where there is a new part, it is probably an improved version of an old part and is backwards compatible. Again all of this is nothing ICE cars don't need to deal with,typically they may have to look up a VIN to get the right part and there are lots more parts... so backwards compatibility is harder...

Speaking from experience when I worked for a company that built hardware, We had 2 different versions of old software that we got working on new hardware, any returned old hardware was used for spares, but ultimately new hardware could replace old hardware at any customer site, with the right software,.....

Then we had new software specifically for the new hardware.... overtime the number of versions we had to support grew, but the old stuff basically never changed, once it was ported that was it.

So IMO hardware and software are easier than a complex mechanical engine, with a lot of moving parts that also includes processors, software and wires.... A certain percentage of problems are hard...

IMO Model 3 is the start of Tesla moving towards a common car platform with a lot of common software and parts on all models, if there is a new version of the platform then cars will migrate towards that, at most they will be supporting 2-3 versions for the platform in future.

For now the OG Roadster, Model S and Model X, are probably harder to support..

Last edited:
Personally, I will be happy if the mission statement is realized. While I have no respect for many of the above mentioned individuals and TSLAQ, in general, I would be just as happy if they keep their homes and move on to another negative crusade.

These people would not be as kind to any of us had they succeeded. Just remember they were out for blood. People who spread lies to put 40,000 employees out of work should get what they deserve. I have no sympathy for them neither.

Okay we have the following people signed up to buy one or more shares at $420.69.

Rammstein
Jo-
Unpilot
SW2Fiddler
shrspeedblade
keydriver
copyhacker
Don TLR
Calibear1
Lessmore
pnungesser
Dreadnought
Todesbuckler
dww12
EV forever
Queeg500
cohiba
anthonyj
InDaClub
bz51
pekap
Dysong1
winfield100
davecolene0606
Navin
Duffer
2virgule5
studiodb

Who else is going to join us?

Okay we have the following people signed up to buy one or more shares at $420.69.

Rammstein
Jo-
Unpilot
SW2Fiddler
shrspeedblade
keydriver
copyhacker
Don TLR
Calibear1
Lessmore
pnungesser
Dreadnought
Todesbuckler
dww12
EV forever
Queeg500
cohiba
anthonyj
InDaClub
bz51
pekap
Dysong1
winfield100
davecolene0606
Navin
Duffer
2virgule5
studiodb

Count me in!

Rammstein
Jo-
Unpilot
SW2Fiddler
shrspeedblade
keydriver
copyhacker
Don TLR
Calibear1
Lessmore
pnungesser
Dreadnought
Todesbuckler
dww12
EV forever
Queeg500
cohiba
anthonyj
InDaClub
bz51
pekap
Dysong1
winfield100
davecolene0606
Navin
Duffer
2virgule5
studiodb

Wish I could write a put for $420.69 specifically >.< I actually think it won’t ever see $420 and just gap up

PS: a good read
At $TSLA 420.69 the Space Portal Reopens : wallstreetbets

Last edited:

Rammstein
Jo-
Unpilot
SW2Fiddler
shrspeedblade
keydriver
copyhacker
Don TLR
Calibear1
Lessmore
pnungesser
Dreadnought
Todesbuckler
dww12
EV forever
Queeg500
cohiba
anthonyj
InDaClub
bz51
pekap
Dysong1
winfield100
davecolene0606
Navin
Duffer
2virgule5
studiodb

I’m in.

Rammstein
Jo-
Unpilot
SW2Fiddler
shrspeedblade
keydriver
copyhacker
Don TLR
Calibear1
Lessmore
pnungesser
Dreadnought
Todesbuckler
dww12
EV forever
Queeg500
cohiba
anthonyj
InDaClub
bz51
pekap
Dysong1
winfield100
davecolene0606
Navin
Duffer
2virgule5
studiodb

Me

I think batteries and motors are a core competency and an advantage no one is matching or clearly going to match in the next 2-3 years. AI is their AWS and I’d like to see them resell AI as a service. They may need every processing cycle until FSD is solved, but the FSD chip is far more powerful then NVIDIA’s chip and its almost 2myears before NVIDIA will have a competitive chip. Tesla will have FSD 4 by then. I’d say resell through Azure and share revenue with Microsoft. AI will grow 100%+ annually as far as you can forecast.
How about let Tesla cars run inference as service when they are not driving? As long as the car has WiFi it would be printing money for the owner and Tesla...

Reactions: dc_h
New leak about "Navigate on Autopilot for City Streets":

3rd Row Tesla on Twitter

NAVIGATE ON AUTOPILOT
FOR CITY STREETS

ITS COMING

ITS COMING SOON ⏰

AND IT WILL BLOW YOUR MIND
And when asked about the source:

3rd Row Tesla on Twitter

"I have ears everywhere son"

"bigger rollout starts tonight"

"[HW3] retrofits will ramp"​

3rd Row Tesla is a new high quality podcast run by a group of prominent Tesla community members:

Third Row Tesla

"The Third Row is a team of passionate Tesla enthusiasts who share the common goal of bringing the truth about Tesla to the world, in a fun and entertaining way, through a weekly audio/video podcast."

"We are members of the Tesla community including Sofiaan Fraval, Omar Qazi (AKA Steve Jobs Ghost), Vivien Hantusch, Galileo Russel (HyperChangeTV), Vincent Yu (Tesmanian), Tesla Raj and Kristen (K10)."​

Elon accepted their invitation to their podcast yesterday, which will be shot early January.

So I think this latest "FSD preview" rumor from them has a good chance of being legit.

Edit: the "HW3 FSD preview" is apparently on screen visualization of stop signs, traffic lights, road markings, etc.

Last edited: