Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will China starting delivery just 2 days before end of year help or hurt Tesla financials. I am leaning towards hurt. It seemed like they were producing cars all months and just started delivery today. Unless they can really deliver all those units built before end of year those will all be a drag on profit. I dont believe they were being counted on pushing the production number to the estimate, so anything produced is gravy towards the 360K minimum they said at beginning of they year.

If they only deliver 15 cars in December, there will not be a drag on profits. Most of the 2019 costs are capitalized to inventory and equipment (which sits on the balance sheet). For the most part, the only costs from Shanghai that will impact COGS in 2019 are training costs and the COGS related to any cars delivered in 2019 (15-30 cars)?

Costs to install, calibrate and validate equipment gets capitalized to Equipment
Cost to produce the cars get capitalized to inventory (attached to each car) and does not get released to COGS until the car is sold.

EDIT: There will be some increased costs to SG&A as delivery centers ramp up.

Last edited:
What happens to Tesla market share if Tesla destroys all the competition and Rivian and Lucid don't turn into anything?

I said I *want*. I *want* Tesla to kill them all. That’s different than what is likely to happen.

Somebody will survive. Not sure which somebody. Might be more than one. Won’t be all and won’t be all who’ve had government backing to this point in their history.

I’ve no idea anymore than you if Rivian or Lucid make it, but you’ve been talking like it’s a done deal they will make it, along with Bollinger.

Starting a car company and turning it into a successful business isn’t any easier now than it was the day Tesla was conceived, so stop giving them the benefit of the doubt and talking as though they’ll exist 5 years from now and be pumping out as many vehicles as Tesla.

They all have to get over all the manufacturing and efficiency and pricing and logistics and battery supply and economics etc... hurdles that Tesla has and continues to. Rivian, Lucid, Bollinger, Neuron et al... haven’t even begun to be car manufacturers.

Governments can heavily stack the deck and produce desired outcomes.

No doubt they can try.

The people are getting tired of being poisoned and dying prematurely and seeing their planet implode. Thus we see governments providing EV incentives.

The fact remains, though, governments still can’t make people buy vehicles they don’t want. OEMs still need to provide EVs that are compelling, reliable, safe, practical, fun, useful, etc... AND that can be made PROFITABLY. Tesla is making it impossible for others to compete. That’s not even up for debate.

Why doesn't Tesla have any significant market share in Japan? Despite making a better car than anything made in Japan? Tesla doesn't have significant market share in South Korea despite being there for years.

Why doesn't Tesla have significant premium auto market share in India,Brazil, and Indonesia? Because governments can effectively prevent their populations from buying Teslas.

Or more likely because Tesla is already keeping busy doing a thousand different things and are simply taking the path of least resistance to accelerate their mission.

When they run out of Gigafactories to build, and their manufacturing of batteries and vehicles and stationary storage and solar roofs can keep up with demand, Tesla will be free to tackle Japan and India and wherever else there might be holdouts.

I suspect, though, that any barriers Tesla currently might be facing in certain regions of world will long since have fallen by the time Tesla has caught up with their organic demand.

A virus doesn’t have to attack the whole to make its host sick. Cancer doesn’t have to attack every organ to kill. An army doesn’t have to attack on all fronts to win a war. Tesla doesn’t have to succeed in all markets to crush ICE making OEMs and ridiculously dominate the market or multiple markets.

You’re problem is that you simply can not conceive of a company laying a solid foundation in multiple trillion dollar industries and organically turning itself into an empire because it’s never been done before. You think all the past and present checks and balances will prevent it from happening.

You’ve got a better than average chance of being right. I think you’re very wrong. I think something really special and unique is happening, the likes of which humanity has never seen.

I guess that goes in the "other things" category then? Because it does fit.
Video: テスラ on Twitter
I look at it the same as I look at Denise not wanting to drive an S (which is why we have an S and a Leaf--darn Tesla for not bringing the 3 out earlier :). If the driver thinks it's too big, then they won't buy it.

That is a theory.

In practice no non communist government has ever allowed a monopoly in autos, not even a regulated one.

It is completely asinine to suggest Germany,France,Japan, and China will allow Tesla to become a monopoly in their countries, i.e. to destroy the competition.

And yet, China opened their arms and exempted Tesla a Chinese JV partner - never before in their history have they done that - then gave Tesla money to pay for it, then built Tesla a factory from a watermelon field to selling cars in a single year’s time, significantly sped up government permitting, timed EV incentives to perfectly coincide with production and just gave Tesla more money.

And yet, Germany just actively wooed Tesla to build a Gigafactory in Germany, has promised a quick build, already turned away the bat people and have begun preparing the site...

It seems to me, at least a couple governments see the writing on the wall and are taking steps to ensure they’re part of the evolution and transition to sustainable energy.

You do know that Chinese people are working in Giga3 and German people will be working in Giga4, right? And you do realize a lot more Gigafactories have to built. It should make no difference to those governments what letters are on the outside of the building so long as the building supports residents, makes an excellent product, makes money for the country, and just generally contributes to the economy of that country in a positive way.

Does a government want to prop up an OEM that doesn’t comply with government regulations, that can’t compete on the world market, that can’t produce a high quality product people want, nor make a profit? Or does a government want to open their arms to a company who can, who hires locally, who supports local businesses and causes them to expand etc...?

Now tell me what’s asinine.

Sorry paywall but interesting article that mentions Tesla. I remember when Lexus launched in 1989 everyone thought the German car industry would suffer. Somehow they pulled through.
However, there wasn't the technological gap [Lexus vs. Mercedes / BMW] and German cars were far better than American cars for quality.

• Helpful
Reactions: Krugerrand
Maybe some shorts are trying to set the tone and cover up the first china deliveries. Its all over mainstream news, so its a very positive narrative they are going to have at work hard at to reverse. I just bought some more shares on what I think is the dip, anticipating a recovery quite quickly, although TBH I don't expect a major move upwards until next week. I bet a lot of fund managers are still in holiday-schmooze and family zone.
A few large pension fund buys should eradicate all this hyperactive day trading shorting by the small players methinks.