Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Earlier, I looked at the stock price and went, "Wow! $535, that's high!" before realizing it was a fall from $547. Not that $535 (or the close of $537.92) is bad, it's just that $TSLA has climbed so fast I'm no longer calibrated.

$TSLA, when closing +2.49% with a new all time high feels like a loss

Yup, and we all know a win should feel like a win!
Like yesterday.
We did not even reach $100B market cap today, how lame!

Wow, don't try to correct anything wrong TSLAQ says, or they block you. :oops: When I showed this to my wife, it occurred to me that maybe some of these TSLAQ people, like TeslaCharts, don't really believe what they are saying, know they are stating something entirely wrong and misleading, but just don't want ANYONE to refute it. That's the only explanation I could come up with that would explain why someone would prefer to stay in such a horrible echo chamber.

It's the propaganda combined with blockage of outside information technique that was employed with success by totalitarian regimes during the twentieth century, until it failed. And that was actually the mimicking of the techniques of older and wider mind control institutions.

I suspect you are right that the perpetrators in the present case know better, but are paid messengers of those with large vested interests in long established industries now threatened by disruptive innovation. :rolleyes:

Seriously, where the heck is the “Third row Tesla” podcast? Shot down because of material info?
Their Twitter looks very active though.
They're clearly milking it to keep the eyeballs on twitter. A bit of a shame really.

The third row team (individually) pump out videos every 5 minutes but appear to withhold the main act for their own benefit.

Problem is shipping liquids, though. I actually ordered a bunch of Palo Alto Firefighters Hot Pepper Sauce but it was cancelled because US Post refused to ship it overseas. Such a pity, I'm almost out and it would have made a fantastic present for the holidays.

The same fate will likely befall Teslaquilla, I fear. Otherwise a typically brilliant marketing idea!

Do they have "Wine Club" deliveries where you live?

It is common here in Australia, so for Australia direct shipped from the US, or bulk import into Australia then re-shipment may be possible. For the latter route they would need to be sure about demand... but service centres currently ship parts by courier here, it can be done.

Seriously, where the heck is the “Third row Tesla” podcast? Shot down because of material info?
Their Twitter looks very active though.

I'm interested to know what is holding them up, as I edit multi-cam footage regularly and usually can get a 2 hour program done in an afternoon easily. Might be some non-video related issue, perhaps they had to send it to Tesla IR for approval for publication idk.

They're clearly milking it to keep the eyeballs on twitter. A bit of a shame really.

The third row team (individually) pump out videos every 5 minutes but appear to withhold the main act for their own benefit.

someone asked Galileo Russell where the video is and he replied that they need final approval from Tesla to release it, and they’re still waiting.

I'm interested to know what is holding them up, as I edit multi-cam footage regularly and usually can get a 2 hour program done in an afternoon easily. Might be some non-video related issue, perhaps they had to send it to Tesla IR for approval for publication idk.

Maybe the full version can only be released after earnings, or they need to make sure it doesn't contain stuff that can't be disclosed prior to earnings... Elon getting relaxed and saying a bit too much would not be a big surprise.

Looking at the various automaker market caps I noticed the ordering is as follows:

1. Japan @ ~$318B (Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Suzuki, Mitsubishi, Mazda)
2. Germany @ ~$212B (VW, Daimler, BMW)
3. USA @ ~$184B (Tesla, GM, Ford)
4. China @ ~$103B (SAIC, Geely, BYD, Dongfeng, BAIC, Changan)

If you include FCAU with USA it is still (a very close) second place. If you group it with Italy they remain a distant fifth.

While Japan holds the top spot thanks to Toyota, Germany holds three of the top 5. This was three of the top four until $TSLA broke out.

The point of this? If it weren't for $TSLA the US would be in fourth place with China in third, or about tied for third if you split FCAU between Italy and the US. Tesla is making the US a contender in the global automotive market. It won't be long after passing VW that Tesla brings the US to the second spot. Taking the #1 from Toyota may take a bit longer, but the times they are a-changin.

Maybe the full version can only be released after earnings, or they need to make sure it doesn't contain stuff that can't be disclosed prior to earnings... Elon getting relaxed and saying a bit too much would not be a big surprise.

It is very possible that this may be the case. I follow a lot of the channels that participated in the interview, and very few pieces of information have leaked or been talked about, which I find to be very interesting. Many of those people met Elon for the first time and you'd think they'd be spilling the beans on any number of little nuggets they heard Elon talk about.

Here's another milestone:

Tesla has tripled in value in 225 days (7 1/2 months)

upload_2020-1-14_16-54-8.png

Elon buys his own secondary offerings, nobody ever does that,
Kathy Wood sells against the 10% constraint she makes up, cutting
Her gains.
I receive ARK's daily trade emails, and the ARK funds seem to get "rebalanced" by constantly adjusting the share weightings within their basket of "disruptive" companies. Generally, they try to sell stocks as they rise and buy them when they're low. This might not be a bad strategy if their conviction level were more or less the same across all of their investments. However, by capping the percentage of their funds that's invested in high conviction companies like Tesla, I agree that ARK is probably giving up some potential gains (it might be worth analyzing this). If a given investor really believes in Tesla's future, I'm not convinced they'd want to reduce their share count every time the price jumps up.

If I could find other equities to buy with the same level of conviction that I have in TSLA, then I think I'd be well advised to sell some Tesla shares and diversify into those other equities. My "problem" is that I have yet to identify other publicly-traded companies that I like as much as Tesla. There are small cap companies that may have greater growth potential, but they tend to be much riskier investments. I'm not aware of another company that's near the size of Tesla with similar growth potential.

Thanks.

So far my single largest trade order was a 33k Euro buy. So let's imagine for a moment that a VW/Porsche style short squeeze were to happen and in the time frame of about 1 day, the SP shoots up to 4k $. A sell order of just a few hundred shares would then equal 1 million dollars. That would be a trade pretty far above my league, so having to react quickly to an extremely volatile price in that situation would not be optimal.

And if a market maker had been a bit too optimistic (or greedy) about their selling of call options and desperately needed to get their hands on some shares at a low price, I wouldn't be surprised if during such extreme volatility, that they wouldn't try to front-run me, to the tune of even just 5% or something else that could be considered real money.

So I like this apparent and ongoing short squeeze assisted by good news - and I actually like it a lot that the SP goes up, yet the total dollar amount of short sold Tesla seems to not go down. As long as that is the case, the squeeze will have power to run from.

If you have a good broker, you will get a good price with a market order. I don't buy and sell much but when I do I generally do it in 1-3000 share batches. Often, by the time I press the button and check what it sold for, I see that it sold for a higher price than the last quote right before I pressed the "sell" button. Honestly, I would say it's about 50/50. I use Schwab and have been very happy with them. The only time I use limit orders is if the security is very illiquid and I tend to not deal with those at all. But anything that has a steady stream of trades throughout the day is done with a market order. Much better that way because you don't end up chasing prices which is a huge waste of time.

Say I want to buy a stock, but (of course) I want a good price. I'll just wait until the stock is trading in the range I want and then place my order. The problem with limit orders is I generally end up paying more if the stock is rising. And I generally wait for that before purchasing so this is quite common. Then I need to "stairstep" my limit order up and when I finally do manage to get a limit order accepted it generally turns out that I could have had it more cheaply in a few moments anyway. So, while a limit order allows you select the price, a market order allows you to select the time of your trade. I've found that to be more important for getting the best possible deal on a buy or a sell.

Wow, don't try to correct anything wrong TSLAQ says, or they block you. :oops: When I showed this to my wife, it occurred to me that maybe some of these TSLAQ people, like TeslaCharts, don't really believe what they are saying, know they are stating something entirely wrong and misleading, but just don't want ANYONE to refute it. That's the only explanation I could come up with that would explain why someone would prefer to stay in such a horrible echo chamber.
They are trying to protect their positions/opinions. If shorts are exposed out outside opinions, some of them may develop doubts which makes shorting more difficult. It also could be regular old confirmation bias. People in general don't like hearing opinions that are different from their own.

Earlier, I looked at the stock price and went, "Wow! $535, that's high!" before realizing it was a fall from $547. Not that $535 (or the close of $537.92) is bad, it's just that $TSLA has climbed so fast I'm no longer calibrated.

$TSLA, when closing +2.49% with a new all time high feels like a loss
I know. It's only up $13 for the day and part of me is disappointed.

That is probably an important piece of information regarding where the stock is.