Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[/QUOTE] On a serious note maybe colour coding would work. So off topic posts in orange for example, and on topic posts in black.

It would be very easy to skip all the off-topic fun stuff and only read the important stuff.

I think that's actually a pretty smart idea, but good luck enforcing it.[/QUOTE]

Thx @Lycanthrope . Maybe if the mods coloured all off-topics posts to orange instead of moving them, people would get used to it?

I try to read every single post, but if I could scroll past the "fun" ones when in a rush it would be immensely valuable - to me and many others I think.

MODS?

No requirement to sell. They just can't add when an individual equity is above 10% of the fund.
I spent the day with him last year, interviewing him for hours. The biggest thing that struck me: he really believes in the don't-put-all-your-eggs-in-one-basket and diversify-your-portfolio philosophies. This new revelation proves it.
It is considered malpractice from a financial advisor not to say it. In fact, he can be sued in many ways otherwise. Again he is a financial advisor. His primary job is not to understand things but to sell the idea to unsophisticated investors that he does. I am not saying that this is bad. There are people who need handholdings to get their finances managed and they are happy to pay good money for getting their hand held because they do not feel comfortable to just put their money in some index fund, etc. But financial advisors are not experts on anything else than sales to these people. I do not see anything wrong with what he does, I just find it inconsistent to participate in an investment forum and listening to him at the same time.

Conclusion based on this data. Losing WWII translates into huge domestic auto industries. :D

we-lost-wwii.jpg

Maybe if the mods coloured all off-topics posts to orange instead of moving them, people would get used to it?

I try to read every single post, but if I could scroll past the "fun" ones when in a rush it would be immensely valuable - to me and many others I think.

MODS?

Eh, nope. Going to run out of orange. And time :rolleyes:

Tesla Shorts Vs. Beyond Meat Shorts: Who's Getting Squeezed Harder?

Dick warned Tesla and Beyond Meat traders these types of short squeezes can often last much longer than expected. Elconin said attempting to analyze Tesla technicals is essentially pointless until the squeeze is over.

There’s an identifiable pattern here. It’s called the rocketship pattern,” Dick said. He even got burned attempting to short Tesla at $498 before cutting his losses quickly at $501.

I wish people wouldn't compare reserves to GDPs as if the units were the same. It's the same mistake as kW vs kWh. Comparisons are meaningless. Now comparing it to the US national debt might be meaningful.

Fair enough. Please replace "GDP" with "yearly GDP" in my above post. (Didn't occur to me that anybody would think I meant GDP per microsecond or such. But I underestimated all the Dunning-Kruger effect experts. ;) )

"Blackstone manages more money than Germany + UK produce in economic output in a year." Happy?

• Disagree
Reactions: dc_h and ggr
Despite TSLA again achieving all-time intraday and closing highs, ARK chose not to sell any TSLA today. TSLA is easily the top holding in three ARK ETFs, comprising nearly or more than 10% of each of those funds. ARK's general rule is not to buy any more shares in a company that comprises more than 10% of a fund. But when TSLA hits highs they often sell some shares to raise cash for purchasing high conviction laggards, even though TSLA is their highest conviction holding. Owners of such ETF shares expect the managers to prudently maintain diversity and to rebalance if necessary.

upload_2020-1-14_17-56-39.png

Whether Beyond Meat is a good company or not, there is no question that eliminating meat farming plays an important role in reducing carbon footprint. You don't want to be on the other side of that.
Problem is - the moat is too shallow.
Tried the new Simple Truth burger few days ago...pretty comparable. I mean, yes, minor differences, but for vegetarians might not be super important - the price also matters.

Should Beyond Meat Investors Be Worried About Kroger's New Faux Meat Line? | The Motley Fool

Whether Beyond Meat is a good company or not, there is no question that eliminating meat farming plays an important role in reducing carbon footprint. You don't want to be on the other side of that.
It's like when people got all excited about GoPro....China can make a 99% as good version for 40% the cost. Anyone can make a Beyond burger or close to it.

And any time I'm in Whole Foods the BYND cabinet is being completely ignored. Like a packed Center City PHL Whole Foods with people elbowing for chicken....and the door doesn't even open. May have to go sit there for a half day to confirm then short.

MOD: And with that, we've come to the end of any reason to be discussing BYND in this thread.

THE END.

I'm hoping the rental program ramps quickly. I'm not confident that I'll stay in my home long enough to justify a solar roof or even a traditional system, but a rental takes away that risk. Honestly I'd be happy to do it at a break even price just to know I was filling my car and part of my home use with more green energy. I wonder how many others feel that way. Elon, if you are listening. You can keep the profit!

Perhaps you are not realizing that the solar roof is an asset that is valued in resale. It is not "lost" money that you have to make up before you sell.

Here's How Much Adding Solar Panels Will Boost Your Home's Value

Ok, this rally is nuts. Market cap is at $97.0B while VW has a cap of $101.5B. Are we prepared to convince the market that Tesla really worth more than Volkswagen? Is this price level $538/share sustainable. I mean, come on, folks! I'm not selling. But it's like 8:15 in the evening: time for the party to be over! I mean, come on!! People, go home already.

-Grumpy old guy thesis
Let's park @ $570

if I wasn’t saving for a Tesla, I’d not have any capital gains. The whole purpose of buying the stock is to buy a Tesla later.

Now, if it does well enough, I may not sell all of it. But even were I to keep them, I have so few that if the stock was 1k I’d still only be in the five digits, including my initial investment.

So, small apples. ;)
If you keep the stock and defer the car(or lease it) you might be able to buy a fleet of Tesla's in the future ... a Tesla vehicle is still a depreciating asset... no matter what Elon says ... and if I am wrong and it turns out that Tesla's are appreciating assets (As EM suggests) ... then you will be that much richer the more shares you hold long ...

your signature indicates a P100D ? If you are really "poor" do you really need such an expensive Tesla i sure you can get in a model 3/Y for a lot less with less taxes, insurance and depreciation ... depreciation for MS is pretty significant... I looked into selling mine ....and the used prices for MS are no where near initial new car prices...in fact if you are "poor" don't buy a new car at all

don't get me wrong I want everyone to own a Tesla ... but only when it makes financial sense ...

Lets assume 2 options on how to use $100,000 worth of Tesla shares (over simplified hypothetical example ):

1)Sell Shares to purchase P100D you then have to pay taxes on gains either short term capital gains or long term depending on how long you have owned the shares.
Buy P100D at $ 94,000 USD plus taxes/delivery/ etc. round to $100,000
after 5 years P100D is worth $50,000...(probably optimistic) plus you will pay for Insurance for 5 years (Model S is very expensive to insure)

2) Hold $100,000 worth of Tesla Shares(186 shares) , you have no taxable event.

Bull Case : Ark Invest 5 year target price is now $6000 that is $5462 over today's closing price of $538. Those shares in 5 years could be $1,015,241.

Middle Case lets be more conservative assume $2000 share price in 5 years = $271,932

Bear Case :lets be really pessimistic in 5 years the stock is $538 then you have $100,000... and I would argue that if Tesla is $538 in 5 years from now then we are in a deep global recession or Tesla failed in some way to capitalize on the advantages it possesses in 2020.

again not advice ... sorry about the rant but I hate to witness financial miscues...this was partially for my own therapy as i was thinking about selling shares to buy a new P100D ... conclusion is right now it makes no sense ... granted i have a Telsa ... why not consider a M3 or MY and keep more shares for the long run... I think in 5 years i will get the Performance MS and the Cybertruck but i need to have patience... good luck

Why BlackRock May Be About to Pump Tesla (TSLA) Stock to the Moon • NewsCream
  • BlackRock CEO Larry Fink has indicated the $7 trillion asset manager intends to divest from fossil fuels to greener investments amid a “climate crisis.”
  • Already a large holder of Tesla stock, this could see the world’s largest holder of fossil fuels invest more heavily in Elon Musk’s buoyant EV manufacturer.
  • Currently trading over $530 per share, Jim Cramer believes TSLA is Fink’s “ultimate stock.”
Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA) stock has been on a historic tear. The EV manufacturer’s market-cap is almost at $100 billion, and it is basking in the warm glow of strong growth prospects and risk-on trading conditions in the U.S. stock market.

Things could still get even better for Elon Musk. The world’s largest asset manager, BlackRock, announced a shift towards sustainable investments. And TSLA might just be the firm’s new crown jewel.

Larry Fink Makes Seismic Change to BlackRock’s Investment Focus
BlackRock and Larry Fink could send Tesla stock even further into the stratosphere. | Source: AP Photo/Mark Lennihan

BlackRock manages an eye-watering $7 trillion fortune and oversees a portfolio that is heavily invested in fossil fuels. That’s about to change.

In his 2020 CEO letter, BlackRock chief executive Larry Fink announced the “climate crisis” as the catalyst for the stock market behemoth’s planned re-allocation, stating,

We will see changes in capital allocation more quickly than we see changes to the climate itself. In the near future – and sooner than most anticipate – there will be a significant reallocation of capital.

He was careful not to state there was going to be a total divestment from oil companies. This would be very impractical from a liquidity standpoint. BlackRock invests more in fossil-fuel reserves than anyone else in the world.