Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pitbulls time to drop the bone, seriously.

No, Tesla is not getting rid of the 18650 form factor. Get over it already.

No, Tesla is not going to raise capital to buy back shares, pay down debt, or to open a sushi bar.

No TSLA stock is not going to split nor will dividends be paid in your lifetime.

Yes, I’m taking the names and numbers of those who just can’t let go of these boring, archaic thought processes and having @Unpilot bring you to one of my islands where you will be forced to participate in my own version of Maze Runner meets Hunger Games.

Trust me, I’m way more dastardly than Tarantino. I make him look like a chocolate sundae on a perfect Saturday afternoon at the beach on a private island in the Caribbean.

Possibly, if fate in on your side (though why would it be?!), you’ll luck out and I will be able to buy the superpower of my choice at which point I will simply blow you up with my mind when I tire of your pathetic attempts to escape.

I trust this now ends all the silly talk.
Ha...I will find my own way to this island.
Then we will see who's super power is strongest

Stock looks manipulated no ( trying to keep it on topic)

Wow! This means, in several years they gonna lose that advantage against Tesla. Given the dismal place they are in right now, how many of them can survive?
Especially if some of their parts suppliers start having issues along the way.

Why not roll it into twice as many 2/7 625's for the same total price?
Actually wound up picking up 1 2/14 645 and pocketed the rest (for now). I've been spoiled by very high % returns so it's hard to pull the trigger on an option that I see with only 100% upside. (I know, I know, I need to readjust my expectations but I'm doing it cautiously)

When I'm thinking about delays and better communication needed, I also have some questions.

What I heard yesterday in Third Row podcast is "foundational rewrite that is almost complete".

I think this kinda means that all the progress we've seen up to date is thrown away and they start "from scratch" with a (supposedly) better tech. Only after that the cycle starts on incremental improvements that can lead to regulatory approval.

Did they know about the rewrite in advance? Likely, many months ago. Would they account for more testing needed for a brand new tech before you hand it over to customers? Sounds like this is not just adding a few new features on top of existing framework.

IDK. I think if they saw that this tech was better, then rewrite is warranted. However, with that knowledge the communication of expectations to investors seems too optimistic to me re: feature complete.
I don't think that's correct.

There was a video presentation from Andrej Karpathy where he showed how the features would be absorbed into the neural net. It very much appeared incremental (i.e. that once they could train and implement a new feature through the neural net they would release it). I wouldn't be expecting a step change result due to a "foundational rewrite".

The structure of an organization is reflected in the structure of the production. Tesla had a module team, so Model 3 has modules (this has been restructured to just a "battery team"). And then you end up with a box in a box. Because this team wanted an enclosure, and this team wanted an enclosure, so you have a box within a box. And then on the Model 3 you have the pack, and then an underbody, a third enclosure, because the body team wants to have an enclosed body. Lots of brackets on brackets. The teams historically haven't been integrated as much as he'd like to see.
I found this quite interesting. Elon doesn't like that the model 3 has modules....it has them because the S and X were designed that way and therefore so was the 3. He thinks that it should just be cells in a pack because the Model 3 modules are not interchangable.

So will the Y have no modules?....intriguing......

giphy.gif

Edit: changed replaceable to interchangeable.

Last edited:
Exxon's profits decreased by 50% YoY in Q3 (they report Q4 today) to 3.1Bn. I think they have better ways of spending their money than shorting Tesla.
I think there are enough idiots out there who think shorting Tesla is a good move without Big Oil having to foot the bill so directly.
Yes - all big oil has to do is fund some mis/disinformation. We are talking 100k instead of 100M.

They have done this very successfully around climate change. They have industry groups that fund dark money fronts that fund "research" and lobby groups. Its impossible to trace the money since they criss-cross the world jumping national boundaries. Disinformation about EVs and Tesla would be just a part of that.

I found this quite interesting. Elon doesn't like that the model 3 has modules....it has them because the S and X were designed that way and therefore so was the 3. He thinks that it should just be cells in a pack because the Model 3 modules are not replaceable.

giphy.gif
They aren't replaceable? At one point he definitely mentioned the replacement cost for model 3 modules.

You make that sound so long - she's been retired "for half a decade".

You mean for 5 years? :confused:
5 years is forever in Tesla time man. ;)

I am still amazed that they have to move ants. Surely every possible place that ants could naturally live is already full of ants. All you're going to do is create an ant migrant problem and ant wars.

Ant wars are the basis of Germany's "Leave no ant behind!" military doctrine: The Few. The Proud. The Anthills!

I found this quite interesting. Elon doesn't like that the model 3 has modules....it has them because the S and X were designed that way and therefore so was the 3. He thinks that it should just be cells in a pack because the Model 3 modules are not replaceable.

Actually he said the Model 3 modules are not interchangeable. (They are replaceable.) I thought the center two were the same design but the left and right ones were different. So each pack size has three different module designs. Unlike S&X where the pack has 16, or 14, of exactly the same modules. (Actually that isn't true, I've heard rumors that they have changed the design of one, or two, of the modules in a new pack design to help with crash safety.)

Unlikely. It will probably use the existing Model 3 packs. But I suspect the Cybertruck/Semi/Roadster will not use modules.

So refreshing nowadays when negative macro days don't result in a bear raid. I'm continually impressed by Tesla's stock action post earnings.

I'm telling you, this is not the same TSLA it was previously. Things will only be the same until they are not.

It's like there is a whole new reality for the longs:

Even the short-sellers are waking up to a new virtual reality:

Welcome to 2020!