Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It does make sense. Tesla designed their LR variants around the best chemistry. For the Standard Range, they can manage with less efficient cells so they use those cheaper ones, saving both cost there and freeing up more of the better performing cells for the Long Range variants.

Shortly after the launch of the Model 3, Tesla could not get enough NCM 2170 cells, so they introduced the Medium Range (LeMuR), to use fewer cells per car. Seen in that light, it makes a lot of sense that Tesla has been looking for a better way to make more cars with their still limited supply of 2170 NCM cells.

plus they are throwing a bone to Chinese company which makes the Chinese government officials happy with all the benefits that entails.

Reactions: lklundin
Wow, it's not just the UK that's out of orders this quarter!

upload_2020-2-21_0-43-26.png

upload_2020-2-21_0-44-4.png

upload_2020-2-21_0-44-15.png

Boom! :)

It just so happens that I just took delivery of a 02/20 manufactured Model X and can look at this for you, but I will have to wait until I get home since my wife is driving it and not me. :(:(:(:(

PS. I can now say that owning the car and not driving it is not as bad as not owning it period, but it's damn close. :D
does it show 351 miles at 100% charge? What firmware version is it on? (both things you can see in the app) Does it also show LR+ badging at the bottom in the app?

This needs to be said every quarter because it continues to be misinterpreted...the dates move not because suddenly they’re sold out, but because of wave logistics. Deliveries shift to North America late in the quarter to minimize deliveries in transit at the end of the fiscal reporting period. Especially in a quarter like this when inventory is apparently quite low.

Every quarter this same thing happens around this same time into the quarter.

Say it with me everyone: “wave logistics, wave logistics, wave logistics!”

Here’s a non-poem to help you remember:

I like biscuits,
Wave logistics!

This needs to be said every quarter because it continues to be misinterpreted...the dates move not because suddenly they’re sold out, but because of wave logistics. Deliveries shift to North America late in the quarter to minimize deliveries in transit at the end of the fiscal reporting period. Especially in a quarter like this when inventory is apparently quite low.

I like biscuits,
Wave logistics!

Exactly, so the Q1 wave allotment for the rest of the world is sold out until Q2. That is good news for TSLA.

Exactly, so the Q1 wave allotment for the rest of the world is sold out until Q2. That is good news for TSLA.

Well it’s not bad news of course, but doesn’t say much. It’s a function of travel time to get vehicles to Europe and inventory, not so much sales. Even if Tesla sold just 1 non-inventory car this quarter to Europe, the date would still have switched to May.

Japan is also May. UAE too, but I'm not sure they haven't always been. AU, NZ, still Q1. Can't tell for South Korea and Taiwan on the website.

View attachment 513277
View attachment 513279

Do you know what the time from Fremont to delivery in all these countries is? Is it at all possible that this week was the cut off to make it onto the last ships leaving for these locations?

I like biscuits,
Wave logistics!

The wave logistics you mention is only about the supply, the "sold out until May" change on the website indicates that the available supply in the current quarter's wave has all been sold to customers in the countries with the new May delivery date, so in a sense yes the cars are suddenly "sold out" as there are none left to buy from this quarters wave. Australia & New Zealand this isn't the case, with cars still available to purchase this quarter.

I like biscuits,
Wave logistics!

Tesla does not generally try to time cars selling out in Europe around the time they dispatch their last ship (let alone before then); they try to estimate how many orders they'll be getting after they dispatch their ships, because all of those orders can be filled in the current quarter if you send enough vehicles to the right markets.

The only reason to not do this is if you simply do not have enough production capacity to meet demand.

Exhibit A...

Japan is also May. UAE too, but I'm not sure they haven't always been. AU, NZ, still Q1. Can't tell for South Korea and Taiwan on the website.

View attachment 513277
View attachment 513279
Repeat from last quarter. This means that production for the overseas markets has finished this quarter. Many cars in these productions have not been spoken for. So if anybody overseas orders a car with specs available among these unspoken inventory cars will get delivery. But there is no guarantee that such inventory cars exist. Obviously there is no demand issue right now, but claims that all cars are sold out are exaggerated.

• Helpful
Reactions: humbaba