Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was thinking about that idea of Tesla selling skate boards to OEMs, which would be brought up from time to time.

Here is why I think it would not happen.

Remember Elon said Tesla is very open for other car company to use Supercharger Network, as long as they don’t have outlandish engineering requests.
What he didn’t say, is he probably received such requirements before, and they were steps backwards instead of forward. Tesla don’t have time for those BS, that’s the reason there is no other cars on Supercharger so far.

If Tesla ever try to supply skate board, same would happen:

OEM: Your motor controller should work with our instruments cluster.
Tesla: R U still in last century? Here is our 15 inch and MCU, use it.

OEM: How about the MobileEye suit we got from our high-profile partnership?
Tesla: U kidding? The MCU have FSD chips already.

OEM: At least you need to support our smart headlights and 24-way seats from our trusted suppliers.
Tesla: What? They have their own computers? What’s this weird protocol they talk? Could you just use ours?

OEM: How about the door locks and wipers?
Tesla: ...

The OEM would probably end up only providing the body-in-white, and they would cut every corner to make them as cheaply as possible, while it barely gets a 5 star rating.

So, if Tesla ever have the extra cell capacity, they would be better off build more factories to make more cars themselves.

Also, Raptors are rationed th dealers, meaning they are likely money losers for Ford.

Uh, no. Ford is not losing money on Raptors which tend to sell for around $75K. It's actually a very profitable model for them. Ford tries to meet total demand while erring slightly on the conservative side. This actually keeps the dealers happy too because they can sell them for MSRP. It's a bone to the dealerships, has nothing to do with losing money!

Last edited:
When will the project start? Will Tesla has enough cells to build commercial energy storage this capacity? I thought they don't even have enough capacity for cars and semis for the foreseeable future.
I believe these questions will be answered in Battery Day. Elon's had since 1Q19 to solve this bottleneck so I'm sure there's already a ramping solution.

• Helpful
Reactions: Nathan
A battery power plant is also cool I guess :p:p

Yeah, the cool thing is the amount of synergy between Tesla doing these power plants and selling EV's, Powerwalls and solar roofs.

There is a huge amount of synergy on multiple levels. To name just a couple:

1) When these power plants are up and running they will save PG&E huge amounts of money. Since it's a regulated monopoly, the savings will filter down to ratepayers in the form of cheaper electricity. The local press will write stories about how the new battery power plants are helping to reduce electrical rates for all ratepayers. This puts Tesla in a positive light and will increase demand for their products.

2) With lower electrical rates the cost disparity between EV's and ICE vehicles increases even more. Cheaper, more reliable electricity is good for EV sales.

When will the project start? Will Tesla has enough cells to build commercial energy storage this capacity? I thought they don't even have enough capacity for cars and semis for the foreseeable future.

Maybe why our PW install and others aren't able to happen until the fall? Are these the same type batteries used? Our Solar panels are going in in March just waiting for date on that but our PW install had to be split from it.

The Moss Landing is exciting news. Glad to see it wasn’t awarded to some other company. Have to wonder if this PG&E deal won’t postpone a lot of solar/PW installs at residences in the wildfire safety shut down areas of California though.

Last edited:
They can use non-homolgated-for-automotive-use-ones. There should be a sufficient supply of these...

starts in march, complete in 9 months...

It will be a very beautiful project if the looming power plant will be removed... has lots of land... a very wonderful benefit that Tesla and PGE will do this...

Please take a look at Google Earth, Moss Landing is a wonderful area. (Strawberry Fields too.)

Reactions: StealthP3D
The Moss Landing is exciting news. Glad to see it wasn’t awarded to some other company. Have to wonder if this PG&E deal won’t postpone a lot of solar/PW installs at residences in the wildfire safety shut down areas of California though.

I think of all of these battery power stations as being pilot demonstration projects for Tesla. It's important to get them out there to show the industry what is possible, how much they can save, etc. This way, when Tesla has enough battery supply/manufacturing capability the market is primed and demand is high. They can also get feedback from customers and tweak their offerings to suit.

I think the Powerwall is still in much the same stage. They are getting enough people hooked up so the word can spread. Musk and company really know what they are doing. And each year that is more and more true.

I think Musk is becoming a master in multiple fields at about twice the rate his competitors are in one field. And the expertise he is gaining is not limited to the technical. His first principles thinking has been applied to management techniques as well. He learns quickly. Musk's companies have a culture expertly instilled and cultured in them that lends itself to super-productivity and superior innovation and development speed. This is their secret weapon and their competitors still don't understand it!

Musk tried to overachieve with automation during the Model 3 launch and stumbled badly. But he learned from his mistakes and has become more pragmatic and effective because of it. He took full responsibility and he wasn't just taking one for the team. He just keeps getting more effective and more deadly to the competition. He reminds me of a highly-skilled assassin. His happy, bumbling, sometimes playful demeanor hides a cold, calculating and deadly expertise lurking underneath. And he's only 48 years old!

I would NOT want to compete against Musk and company! Maybe in 2006. Not in 2020! What will 2025 bring?

Last edited:
I think of all of these battery power stations as being pilot demonstration projects for Tesla.

Yep I am expecting something on Energy Storage batteries on the Investor Day, even if it is only a Powerpoint slide..

This is an area of the business that has suffered form a lack of cells, they need to work the price a bit down lower when they can, but each price drop will open a lot of incremental demand, the need is high... both a domestic and grid scale, and probably also a few scales in between.

ERwkY8JW4AAuNWE