Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After-action Report: Wed Feb 26, 2020: (Full-Day's Trading)

VWAP: $790.74
Volume: 14,228,981
Traded: $11,251,452,492.00 ($11.25 B)

Closing SP / VWAP: 98.43%
(TSLA closed BELOW today's Avg SP)​

Comment: "Overnite Neikei Sony/GF2 FUD launched the battle for the Middle-BB"

TSLA - SUMMARY TABLE – 2020-02-26.png

Oh no, some well off amateur astronomers in the west will have a harder time with their hobby which is more important than providing another couple billion poor people with internet access.
The issue with the low-orbit Starlink satellites and potentially with other, similar constellations is that they reflect sunlight during the evening after sunset and morning before dawn, thus interfering with observations conducted by scientists during those periods. SpaceX has been working with the scientific community to lessen the interference, principally by seeking to reduce the albedo of their satellites.

For conventional rooftop solar, I think Tesla primarily uses Hanwha Q cells, but customers have still been able to request Panasonic.
One funny thing about the Panasonic panels is that their snow load rating was inadequate for our local requirements (75 pounds per square foot). As a result, Tesla had no choice but to bid Hanwha panels when we got a quote from them.

Fred's recent headline: "Tesla asks Model Y buyers to change configuration to get sooner delivery, hinting at high volume"
We have an order for a seven-seat Model Y with AWD and have yet to receive any such email from Tesla. Perhaps they only sent that email to Y buyers in certain regions. That said, we may end up canceling our Y order and just wait for the Cybertruck, as we hadn't previously planned on ordering a truck but the Cybertruck is too good to resist.

Ok, time for me to be reminded that from dust I came, and to dust I will return.
Same here (Ash Wednesday). It's a good time to be reminded of the brevity of our time on Earth and the smallness of our concerns about the price of TSLA.

The issue with the low-orbit Starlink satellites and potentially with other, similar constellations is that they reflect sunlight during the evening after sunset and morning before dawn, thus interfering with observations conducted by scientists during those periods. SpaceX has been working with the scientific community to lessen the interference, principally by seeking to reduce the albedo of their satellites.

I did wonder if they can simply mount some cameras on satellites, and set up webcam pages for those cameras.

My observation: During the trade scare late 2018, SP 500 dropped over 20% in about 3 months. I dont generally time the market but since this is so fresh and comparable, does anyone think we'll see a drop of the same magnitude?
If TSLA doesn’t hit the delivery projections for Q1 we could easily approach $599
This new article with a source claims new battery will have some supercapitor component:

New Tesla battery a combination of dry cell and supercapacitor | The Driven

Waiting for @KarenRei to roast it...
Is the Driven a reputable source?

Mod: Listen up. For realz. There is a coronavirus thread. We have said multiple times to take the coronavirus postings there. It's funny, it takes the same time to read N postings in two threads as it does to read the same postings in a single thread, and it is easier to keep track of them there. If you care so much about the market-moving aspects of coronavirus, you should welcome a separate thread for them, rather than having to sort them out from the "I just bought another share at $777.88". Mods are getting very tired of policing this stuff, only to get flack from the audience. Pretty soon you'll be back to no moderation, and believe me, it is NOT better that way. --ggr

The quality of reporting is on a steep decline at Car and Driver. Don't they check their facts before publishing the story?

Tesla CEO Elon Musk famously tossed metal balls at the Cybertruck at its unveiling, causing similar-looking window damage, but this was clearly the work of a vandal.

What kind of Car and Driver contributing editor is not be able to tell the difference between Elon Musk and Franz von Holzhausen? And what kind of copy editor wouldn't catch it?

Tesla Sentry Mode Records Vandal Smashing Model 3's Window

Mod: Listen up. For realz. There is a coronavirus thread. We have said multiple times to take the coronavirus postings there. It's funny, it takes the same time to read N postings in two threads as it does to read the same postings in a single thread, and it is easier to keep track of them there. If you care so much about the market-moving aspects of coronavirus, you should welcome a separate thread for them, rather than having to sort them out from the "I just bought another share at $777.88". Mods are getting very tired of policing this stuff, only to get flack from the audience. Pretty soon you'll be back to no moderation, and believe me, it is NOT better that way. --ggr
Why don't you just have people start threads on individual distinct topics and then post in those threads?

lol, SW style! *meep* *meep*. ;)

EDIT:

The comparisons are too juicy:
  • The top-of-the-line Ford F-150 Raptor pickup has a "Coyote V8" engine
  • Roadrunners are native to the desert SW of the USA
  • Texas is already home to the SpaceX Raptor rocket engine test site (MacGregor)
  • The Roadrunner always beats the Coyote (see the WB documentaries for proof)
    • Ford Raptor: $70K
    • Tesla Cybertruck: $70K
    • Performance? 2x
    • Cost/Mile? 1/2
  • Ford is 'F'd.
Cheers!

Also, Raptors are rationed th dealers, meaning they are likely money losers for Ford.

My observation: During the trade scare late 2018, SP 500 dropped over 20% in about 3 months. I dont generally time the market but since this is so fresh and comparable, does anyone think we'll see a drop of the same magnitude? The general feeling is people are more unease this time than they were in 2018 but I could be wrong

Before Dec 2018 i was getting really paranoid, so i enjoyed the correction. At the end of it went back in. So timing worked out for me that time. Corrections are normal, and we were overdue for one. So now 401k to the max, as this unfolding. I also anticipate the election jitters (anyone remembers a 7% drop last time?). Even if we go into a recession, TSLA is still going to be fine, as it caters to mid-higher segment, and has no real competition. They will keep eating bigger share of the shrinking pie of legacy OEMs. Hodl your chairs of stonks!

Are we expecting Model Y to still have a lead acid battery? Or is this more tied to the Plaid project? Or will we instead have to wait the Cybertruck, which seems like the first truly ground up project since Model 3?

I don't remember much being said in this context with respect to Battery and PowerTrain Day. Would be great if the lead batteries can go. Most lead smelting and refining plants are not pretty places I can tell you.

or the market is a ZERO sum game.
Actually an efficient market is positive sum game for longs and negative sum game for shorts. Shorting is essentially a bet that the market is not efficiently pricing a security, whereas a long investment still has positive reward expectations even if it is efficiently priced.

But the main point I was trying to make is that it is all to easy to make projections about there being some market manipulator out there that is determined to foil your plans. Why do we do that? Does it actually help us to make better trades or investments to imagine some personal nemesis working against us?

I just had my 12 volt battery replaced in my S. It was not lead acid, it was a deep cycle lithium ion.

Unfortunately, we don't know what Model year Model S you have, whether the battery being replaced was OEM or had been replaced previously, whether Tesla did the current replacement or an independent shop, whether the replaced battery was lithium-ion or the new battery (or both).

In short, we don't know anything other than you had a Model S 12 volt battery replaced.;)

Did you know the car originally came with an AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) lead-acid battery?