Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The context you are missing here is that this is a nursing care facility, with very vulnerable, elderly patients.

Much of the 0.7% estimated mortality rate falls upon that age group.

More than that, it's a full care facility with people that can't even wipe their own butt. It has something like 1.7 employees for every resident. It's basically where people go before they die. Death in these facilities is a regular occurrence even when there is not a flu virus running through the facility. My wife's parents live within 5 miles of it.

I'm not sure why @KSilver2000 wants to use it as an example of why he might be right about Coronavirus having a higher mortality rate. It really feels like he is forcing a perspective that does not derive naturally (and it's not limited to Coronavirus). It causes my FUD detector to go on high alert.

The context you are missing here is that this is a nursing care facility, with very vulnerable, elderly patients.

Much of the 0.7% estimated mortality rate falls upon that age group.

Seriously OT... An unfortunate price to pay for poisons and malnutrition still widespread since sugar. What... did anyone think humans would develop a stronger immune system over time?

I fully expect the US pop to get much sicker than most countries just by considering obesity alone, not to mentions all the drug hooks. But since this topic keeps coming up, the whole thing appears like a short based on FUD to me, and here's why.

If we don't have test kits, AND we know that many go undetected as just a minor symptom that could easily be classified as a common cold, how on earth do we know any % death rate anywhere, with any demographic. Notice there is never a % confidence as one would provide with any estimate of %. This is not science, it's manipulation IMHO.

I think predicting Q1 Tesla deliveries is a much better science, and a much better read ;)

I'm not sure why @KSilver2000 wants to use it as an example of why he might be right about Coronavirus having a higher mortality rate. It really feels like he is forcing a perspective that does not derive naturally (and it's not limited to Coronavirus). It causes my FUD detector to go on high alert.

1000x this. He/she also virtually disappeared from this thread during the run-up, but is making the rounds big-time again.

OT - If Robinhood was already publicly traded I'd be shorting their stock like a MFer right now. I didn't really do much research on brokerages when I started my play account but now it's real money (I have one with Vanguard also but they are too slow so I just keep my retirement accounts there). Who do you guys like? TD Ameritrade seems like a good option. A stock trading site being down for a full business day is inexcusable.

On topic, how resistant to an overall slowdown do you think Tesla will be? Obviously recent data shows it can be more impacted, but I can't imagine that would continue. At this point I'm expecting a lot of swirl around the CV and at least a slowdown in the US as people panic.

Last edited:
Robinhood has long been a suspicious operation. Even the people who YOLO their FD's on WSB know it. I trust them as far as I can throw them.

I use Schwab. Their mobile app has been very flaky today but it is working. The desktop platform has been fine all day. Their actual trader platform (Streetsmart Edge) is very good if you're into day trading.

In unrelated news, I need to check if the premiums have gotten reasonable on TSLA calls lately.

• Informative
Reactions: Dare and Nocturnal
In unrelated news, I need to check if the premiums have gotten reasonable on TSLA calls lately.
Not really. AAPL ATM weekly calls up currently 8x more than TSLA despite a lower stock % gain, not that I have any, but kinda admiring the gains.

Although noticed this in my account, the jan 2021's should be going up much faster than the Jun 2022, maybe some sort of arbitrage to be had here? Either that or people overpaying for the June 2022's (overpaying relative to today's value, they could be worth a lot by 2022!) Right column is Daily gain
arbitrage.JPG

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: neezer
link is dead. Can you summarize in a sentence or two the “mind blowing” part?

Producing a battery with no cobalt, loooong life and high density is a matter of using the right additive(s).

China found that additive. They patent protected it.

Dahn found an equivalent additive, on the back of some v old but well maintained research. Tesla patented it.

It’s EASY to add. (Raising the tantalising prospect it’s already been added. I hope this is true else battery day risks Osborne effect).

Cars will thus allow V2G, without degradation risk. aka “grid-tied”.

That’s my take, though I only watched the last third of the vid.

Producing a battery with no cobalt, loooong life and high density is a matter of using the right additive(s).

China found that additive. They patent protected it.
These electrolyte additives have nothing to do with cobalt in the cathode.

He separately discussed good results from single crystal NMC532. Also available commercially in China. Dahn said North America is far behind China in these areas.