Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like your overall analysis but I think you are making a mistake to assume TSLA needs to stay in any "range" for 6 months. The 4-5 years between $200-$400 was a trading range that stuck around because TSLA had no profits and revenues were relatively small. We are in a new era of TSLA where we can watch incremental improvements of gross margins, revenues, etc. There is big growth ahead and the market will struggle to value it.

As long as the overall market doesn't turn into a bear market, I think we will continue to see price appreciation through 2020. And I'm not talking about a low volatility, smooth walk up to your high-end price target of $1070. A stock like this will likely over-shoot that and come back down for a spell until there are enough new catalysts to propel it higher. Instead of a trading range, I expect to see big zigs (mostly progressively higher) followed by big zags down (also mostly progressively higher). This will probably not form a horizontal channel or trading range like we saw in the previous several years. And it won't be even or smooth or easy to trade as in past years.
In my mind, six months in this range is pretty short. C.f., 2 to 3 years in the last two cycles.

Whether trading range is the best term to describe my expectations, let me put it this way: I think it will be another 6 months before we two days close above $970. This leaves Sept-Dec for prices to rise above $1000 if indeed they are to rise by end of year.

I'd also point out that this is an election year. So the whole market could be inhibited until the US elects the next president.

GM is dead. They made 6.5 billion in profit last year. They will need to spend every penny of profit for the next several years to turn these plans into reality. ALl the while cannibalizing their own ICE sales and leaving billions in stranded ICE assets. I can't see a path for them to survive. (bailout maybe?)
I guess they’re going to go look for battery companies to buy, or seek to enter strategic partnerships with other manufacturers who have promising technologies?? Oh wait.....

I’m baffled by the OEM’s choice to build electric versions of their brands that are most synonymous with gas guzzling. Fans of Mustang, Cadillac and Hummer are surely least likely to care about EV’s and their benefits. I can’t imagine anyone thinking I’d love to get a Hummer if only they made an electric version. I’d put the addressable market at around 14 people, only those with the most severe of cognitive dissonance.

Trying to figure out if it’s a margin thing (these are higher margin/less likely to have to sell at a loss) or just a massive stupidity thing.

Trading my 2015 Model S for new Model S LR+. Ordered on February 17th and picking up next week, March 11th.

Psyched. 390 mile range. 0-60 in 3.7 seconds. I did not upgrade autopilot for additional $7000.
Most excellent!

My wife conceded that she may let me get her a (blue) Model S in a few years when it's time to get rid of her Caddy. Trust me, this is a major milestone in the transition to sustainable energy. (It may have been enabled after we smoked a 911 off the light the other day :D).

Nope, revealing how far behind GM actually are, should have been +100
That’s true. I don’t like to get caught up on one days performance but today was a disappointment. We are getting really good pre market buys then at the opening bell they force us down to level and make us ride the macros all day. We should have been riding today’s action from 770 not 740. It’s the most BS manipulation, but I guess I should be use to it.

I’ll calm down now, model Y deliveries coming soon! We will take off when the time is right.

Most excellent!

My wife conceded that she may let me get her a (blue) Model S in a few years when it's time to get rid of her Caddy. Trust me, this is a major milestone in the transition to sustainable energy. (It may have been enabled after we smoked a 911 off the light the other day :D).
Pumped to pick it up. Yes, it is satisfying blowing someone off the line at a stop light. It's the little things in life. And, oh yea, the new 390 mile range is quite the bonus!

Si, today I sold 60 shrs @ 800 and sold 1 covered 200306790C call @ $31
in my SEP/IRA. Sell on the news, rate cut. Currently @ 759 1.08p

View attachment 517516

Bought back the 60 shrs I sold @800 yesterday, @ 729. Profit $4260
The short 790 Call is @ 5.60, so a gain of $2540

upload_2020-3-4_15-10-5.png