Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Once Tesla is added to the S&P 500, the manipulators may need to seek alternative targets.
God, I hope you’re right. It would be refreshing to see the stock price reflect the execution of the company (I know, that’s so cute - patting myself on the head).

Are we following the same covid-19 story ?
Maybe not. According to Wikipedia, the 2009 flu pandemic claimed 105,700 to 395,600 lives (estimated, lab confirmed limited to 18,000) and yet the stock market seemed to do fine[1]. So while I hope I don't get the flu (of whatever variety) when looked at in perspective COVID-19 just doesn't seem that likely to either result in mass deaths or in a serious market downturn.

1) http://www-stat.wharton.upenn.edu/~steele/Pandemic/Resources/FidelityPandemic.pdf

Ha, that's funny... They also stated that the high speed charging stations would be located at the dealers. ...

WTF? That’s their Supercharger plan?

Now, given that Hummers, et. al. are essentially urban assault vehicles that likely drive less than fifty miles from home, it probably doesn’t matter.

Is that really a possibility? I can see the government donating taxpayer money to the corporate bailout, but forcing one company to buy another?
It's happened within the financial services industry where the government has learned on stronger institutions to absorb troubled assets or a whole troubled institution. This happened as recently as the 2009 mortgage crisis.

Edit. If you are objecting to the word "force," I would point out that in a major industry bailout all companies may be looking to the government for some sort of assistance. That assistance can come with strings attached. It can be difficult for a relatively strong institution to say "no" to the government, when it is distressed enough to need government assistance as well. That need not mean the the deal is good for the institution long term. It may just be an expediency to get through the immediate crisis.

Last edited:
Maybe not. According to Wikipedia, the 2009 flu pandemic claimed 105,700 to 395,600 lives (estimated, lab confirmed limited to 18,000) and yet the stock market seemed to do fine[1]. So while I hope I don't get the flu (of whatever variety) when looked at in perspective COVID-19 just doesn't seem that likely to either result in mass deaths or in a serious market downturn.

1) http://www-stat.wharton.upenn.edu/~steele/Pandemic/Resources/FidelityPandemic.pdf

The economy will get hit by closures, people staying home, reduction in demand etc. Not necessarily by # of deaths.

I hope the market knows that once we start testing in large numbers, the number of confirmed cases (and potentially # of deaths) will zoom up. Virologists estimate we are now at a stage where Wuhan was on Jan 1st - but with little possibility of enforcing the kind of quarantine they did after Jan 20th. We will probably start seeing school and office closures in a couple of weeks. Checkout the coronavirus thread, if you haven't.

Blatant manipulation, starting in premarket and then a heavy short attack in the first few minutes to drop the price to the desired level, then manage that level during the day.

View attachment 517998

When will this end? I’m so sick of it...
Only stocks that pay dividends don't have this happen because the shorts don't want to pay the dividends. It still happens to AAPL, and it will continue to happen to TSLA. Thing is that every time TSLA performs well, the highs increase--even if the stock price is nothing like fair valuation. It will still happen when TSLA is $6,000.

It appears that car February sales in China fell 80% YoY,
jeroen blokland on Twitter

But am I right to assume that Tesla deliveries (incl. their optional home delivery) in China are progressing according to plan ?

If so, then the competition should have a poor quarter - after all, China is the World's largest car market.
The incentives that fueled the golf cart type EVs ended, and so did their sales. Nothing to do with Tesla.

There is still room for stock appreciation even in a fear-fuelled market. People still want to put their money somewhere. Marvell was up 6% today and another 10% AH. Keep this in mind given all of the potential positive catalysts for TSLA.

Marvell Stock Jumps After the Company Forecasts a Strong Quarter Despite Coronavirus

Marvell Technology shares are trading sharply higher late Wednesday after the company reported strong fiscal fourth-quarter results.

For the quarter ended Feb. 1, the chip maker reported revenue of $718 million, ahead of the Wall Street analyst consensus at $713 million. Adjusted profit of 17 cents a share was a penny ahead of Street estimates.

Reactions: MaxPain
Ok, I guess that's why your a superbull and I am a mere bull. :)

Normally I'm not a superbull. I couldn't pull the trigger on TSLA until almost 9 years after I started following it (at the IPO). The puzzle pieces didn't "line up" right for me. I look at the risk to reward ratio and call it how I see it. That's why my cost basis is in the low-mid $200's. Yeah, I wished I had bought at the IPO but it didn't fit my risk/likely reward profile at the time.

It might make you feel better to know I haven't been this bullish on any of my stocks since 1998 when I was blown away by the potential I saw in Qualcomm. Yes, over 20 years ago. Don't get me wrong, I've had plenty of great profits since then but I was not a "superbull" on any of them. Fortunately, Qualcomm didn't really take off until more than a year after I turned "superbull" and it had declined by 30%. That gave me time to load up on the dips. I even sold a house and put 90% of the proceeds into Qualcomm (on top of my already large position). When the fuse was finally lit it ended up returning over 3600% in a little over a year. The chart doesn't even tell the whole story because there was the Leap Wireless spin-off which was sold for a tidy profit on top of the insane share price appreciation. I'm less bullish on TSLA in the 1-2 year timeframe vs. 1998 QCOM (it might double) and more bullish on TSLA for the long game, stationary storage, battery manufacturing, autonomy, etc. It has good potential to turn into a financial steamroller. But I could change my mind at any moment.

I'm a strange mix of very cautious investor and a "break all the conservative rules" investor. I don't go in big unless all the puzzle pieces line up right. I've turned down more excellent investments than you can count on your fingers and toes. But on the other hand, I rarely lose much money. I have very few minor disasters under my belt considering how many times I've jumped in big. I like to scoop up the money in big piles when the gettin' is good, when I see the opportunity to do it with great odds on my side. And riding the long "slow" appreciation of solid stocks like MSFT and SBUX, often for 5-10 years at a time. Scalping a few bucks here and there before slinking off in the shadow is not my style. If it's not going to move the needle, I'm not interested.

All that said, let's take a look TSLA share price history after the election, assuming a bear market isn't happening. BTW, elections are weak market medicines (bad or good). Look at Obama's first four years vs. Trumps first four years. Or Obama's second four years vs. Trump's first four years. Although polar opposites, the markets responded very similarly through it all.

As usual Australia has the perfect solution to covid-19, it will only be a matter of time before the rest of the world follows our excellent lead..

Coronavirus COVID-19: Why is everyone buying toilet paper? - ABC Life

But there is a lesson on supply and demand here...

I saw these stories and I'm like "yeah right I'm ignoring that" .....

My wife comes home yesterday, "They are out of toilet paper at X and Y....."

Sure enough I visit my local supermarket today and the shelf is stripped bare....

I know when toilet paper is selling on EBay for $20 per roll, we will have to buy, and the wife will be looking at me....

This is what happens when demand outstrips supply, it is gold rush....

At least we have finally found an investment that might out perform Tesla over the short term..

Only stocks that pay dividends don't have this happen because the shorts don't want to pay the dividends. It still happens to AAPL, and it will continue to happen to TSLA. Thing is that every time TSLA performs well, the highs increase--even if the stock price is nothing like fair valuation. It will still happen when TSLA is $6,000.

Can we then please continue right at $6.000 with it? :rolleyes: