Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone knows Tesla is valued based on its long term prospects. Near term problems that are totally out of its control shouldn't hurt the stock price much at all as long as it doesn't start looking like they'll run out of money. The other automakers on the other hand are the opposite. The hope was that they could make enough money in the near term to pay for the investment they'll have to make to catch up to Tesla. Tesla's competitive advantage is hugely improved by this.

I.e. I believe Tesla did the pragmatic thing given local pressure and economic uncertainty, while making it easier to supply GF3 and to restart the factory while the lockdown is in place.
It also gives them a couple of weeks to get the masks, temperature sensors, IR sensors, etc. in place to create a safe workplace.

California Governor Gavin Newsom has upgraded the entire West Coast population to stay at home.
The curfew for nearly 40 million people came into effect on Friday night, Newsom says.
link
twitter

Is this true or is it fake news?

Update: Seems to be true, link

LOCKDOWN! Entire state of California now under "shelter in place" order

The state of California is about to go under a "shelter in place" order announced on Thursday by Governor Gavin Newsom.
The shelter-in-place rules will be similar to those already in effect in Fresno, the Bay Area, and other California counties and cities.
Governor Gavin Newsom made that announcement around 6:45 p.m. on Thursday, March 19.
He says a list of exempt and non-exempt businesses will be released "soon".

LOCKDOWN! Entire state of California now under "shelter in place" order

The state of California is about to go under a "shelter in place" order announced on Thursday by Governor Gavin Newsom.
The shelter-in-place rules will be similar to those already in effect in Fresno, the Bay Area, and other California counties and cities.
Governor Gavin Newsom made that announcement around 6:45 p.m. on Thursday, March 19.
He says a list of exempt and non-exempt businesses will be released "soon".
Not to pick on you in particular, but why do people keep posting (stale) news here over and over? If you see some news that might be worth sharing, I suggest the following:

1. Check how old the news is (in this case you can tell from the blurb you posted). If it’s more than a few minutes old it was probably posted already.
2. If you think we missed it, read all the posts that were made since the news broke to double-check.

I’m sorry if I sound grumpy. It’s been a bad year.

TBH I don't think Tesla needs any bailout, I don't think Elon would accept it and I don't want it to happen.

It would be that $450m loan story all over again, yes, the one that was repaid early, the same one that some other manufacturers didn't yet pay back, what 12 years later, and yet it gets dished-up as FUD against Tesla even today.

What would be far better would be for Tesla to negotiate some other kind of assistance, other than cash. What that might be, I don't know, but I'm sure there are plenty of possibilities for bright and inquiring minds to come up with.

Allowing to sell and service in EVERY state would be a good start.

Not to pick on you in particular, but why do people keep posting (stale) news here over and over? If you see some news that might be worth sharing, I suggest the following:

1. Check how old the news is (in this case you can tell from the blurb you posted). If it’s more than a few minutes old it was probably posted already.
2. If you think we missed it, read all the posts that were made since the news broke to double-check.

I’m sorry if I sound grumpy. It’s been a bad year.

Better idea, just ignore it and move on :)

What would be far better would be for Tesla to negotiate some other kind of assistance, other than cash. What that might be, I don't know, but I'm sure there are plenty of possibilities for bright and inquiring minds to come up with.
How about this:
During this unprecedented outbreak the whole country must minimize unnecessary exposure to potential infections. Therefore from today any manufacturer of consumer durables which will facilitate online ordering, and can facilitate delivery with minimal personal contact can sell and service their own products in any US jurisdiction. Such manufacturers may establish such local display, sales and service facilities as they deem necessary. This authority supersedes and and all State or local statutes or regulations intended to limit manufacturers ability to distribute, sell or service their own products in the manner they choose. This in no way limits the applicability or existing contractural arrangements a manufacturer may have with distributors, sellers or servicers of their products.

That might be nice.

I've been thinking that as this drags on (virus), Tesla must be building up quite a backlog of good news items they can talk about once the news cycle cares about anything else. For example:
  • Continued GF3 output ramp-up
  • Model Y deliveries and production
  • Battery day stuff!
  • Obvious progress on FSD (specifically stop signs).

Once we get the news cycle back to normal there are going to be many quick-fire nudges that will likely push both revenue/profit and the SP higher.

Interestingly the number of people reporting Model Y delivery dates in March in the Teslike Model Y tracker keeps on increasing slowly. There are currently 79 and only one delivery scheduled for after 31 March (which seems to be an error). I am looking forward to the Q1 P&D report to see both the actual figures and how the sample in Teslike relates to the overall figure.

That and the fact in the US we have a large segment of the population that is less than science literate.
Actually many are distrustful of the scientific "elite".
If this pandemic does not stress the health care system as bad as predicted...and stresses all aspects of life as it is currently doing. The backlash will be severe. IMHO.
See... it doesn't really matter if it does stress the health care system -- people are only willing to go hungry for so long. You put them out of work (by closing their employer) and all of those families that are living paycheck to paycheck have no more than 30 days before they start taking action.

You can try explaining to a man whose family is starving that he is safer to just stay at home, but he isn't likely to do so. I know it is different outside of the midwest, but we (the township/county where I live) have zero cases and are already in lockdown. This cannot be sustained for months as some imagine.

Someone did the math and all hobbyist virus experts got on the train:
Don’t “Flatten the Curve,” stop it!

One could have thought that politicians should have been able to do the math by themselves, but let’s be honest, system 1 thinking takes much less energy than system 2 thinking and our politicians are not mathematicians(unless we are talking about Singaporean politicians and the PMs in other meritocracies).

1*FoIElQyKudIShpnBHckC5A.png
You can see here the business case for why Tesla needs to ramp up ventilator production. The fewer ventilators we have, the more we need to flatten the curve. So building ventilators allows the curve to be less flat. This in turn allows Tesla to resume vehicle production sooner.

So the more quickly Tesla can make ventilators, the more quickly Tesla can get back to building cars.

You can see here the business case for why Tesla needs to ramp up ventilator production. The fewer ventilators we have, the more we need to flatten the curve. So building ventilators allows the curve to be less flat. This in turn allows Tesla to resume vehicle production sooner.

So the more quickly Tesla can make ventilators, the more quickly Tesla can get back to building cars.
4. D. Chess.

Reactions: capster and jhm