Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am going longer even now.
upload_2020-4-13_16-58-51.png

how much did you buy?

So far TSLA has taken a big dump on my thesis that the market has underestimated COVID related economic effects...

Well I’m an idiot. I sold 40 shares Friday at 567 thinking it would drop today based on bad news over the weekend. It stressed me out for 3 days and I had major FOMO so bought most of it back today at 619. Guess I’ll stick with HODL and buy the dips.

I just wanted to share how I missed some growth today (a little anyway) and sold 50 shares early AM for $591 SP. It's not something that people like to post in favor of their successes, but worth sharing so others learn. TSLA doesn't always follow ANY trend IMO, including the macros as we see clearly today.

So here was a weekend where the futures were all pointing down (before bed last night), combined with a grip on $600 options, and people talking $400 SP as a solid floor with the lower Bollinger Bands etc... So I was pretty sure TSLA was going to drop with the market today (and then some right?). Recall that I wanted to get these back in at $520, convinced that the shorts were going to spin something very soon. Ya, I was trying to day-trade on the side (with cash earnings from 700ish). Wrong move today, but we'll see if I can't get back in again - and then some... maybe... maybe not.

Face it, Tesla is "The Brightest Spot" and so a "hold and forget" through this all is probably wise. But I think your age matters, and it's possible this economy takes a tailspin trying to get back on its feet, before I'm ready to buy some land somewhere on that lake here in my 60's. And there, I justified it ;)

I just wanted to share how I missed some growth today (a little anyway) and sold 50 shares early AM for $591 SP. It's not something that people like to post in favor of their successes, but worth sharing so others learn. TSLA doesn't always follow ANY trend IMO, including the macros as we see clearly today.

So here was a weekend where the futures were all pointing down (before bed last night), combined with a grip on $600 options, and people talking $400 SP as a solid floor with the lower Bollinger Bands etc... So I was pretty sure TSLA was going to drop with the market today (and then some right?). Recall that I wanted to get these back in at $520, convinced that the shorts were going to spin something very soon. Ya, I was trying to day-trade on the side (with cash earnings from 700ish). Wrong move today, but we'll see if I can't get back in again - and then some... maybe... maybe not.

Face it, Tesla is "The Brightest Spot" and so a "hold and forget" through this all is probably wise. But I think your age matters, and it's possible this economy takes a tailspin trying to get back on its feet, before I'm ready to buy some land somewhere on that lake here in my 60's. And there, I justified it ;)
I resemble those remarks.
Core shares locked away with a DO NOT TOUCH sign on them. Play shares sold as you did in anticipation of COVID fueled drop.
O well I live and (sometimes) learn.

Still holding... up to $11k today. Wish I bought more than one but didn't have enough settled funds in my account at the time.

Sold some random put profits (Foot Locker, DIS, Jets and others) and bought a 6/17/22 $1,100 leap for $51 ($5,100) on 4/2. Up 60% so far... Feel like the market is still destined to plummet again. Debating if I should simply hold, knowing that I got a pretty good price on it or flip it quickly, to reinvest when market tanks again...

Leaning towards holding because I am not good at "timing the market."

Still holding... up to $11k today. Wish I bought more than one but didn't have enough settled funds in my account at the time.

I sold two of my calls for +17k and sold a looser one for -2.5K that I bought when everything went to crap. This is my first real attempt at playing with options. I really want to buy back hopefully later this week. I still have all my shares that I bought from the dip and those will probably never get sold.

So far TSLA has taken a big dump on my thesis that the market has underestimated COVID related economic effects...

You're not the only one with this thesis. The stock market is way too high for what's about to happen. At the same time, Tesla's prospects for the long term have never looked better.

I sold all my shares at $891, at $550 I started buying again and bought more on the way down, at an average of $463. Last weak, I sold everything again at $560 and hoping to find a lower entry point.

Something you need to account for is the stock market is decoupled from reality due to hyperinflation. Everything can go to *sugar* and you still can get SP to 4,000 if you pump enough money into it which they did and will do.

You're not the only one with this thesis. The stock market is way too high for what's about to happen. At the same time, Tesla's prospects for the long term have never looked better.

I sold all my shares at $891, at $550 I started buying again and bought more on the way down, at an average of $463. Last weak, I sold everything again at $560 and hoping to find a lower entry point.
And you just know there's that one guy here that's laughing his ass off and hasn't touched them since forever.
I'm past the shame stage now. Here's to THE CORE, and dare to dip again!!!

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
My interpretation is some investors(hey shorts are investors too, right?) just realized GF3 can source everything locally and already doesn’t depend on imports from US.

Also the order book of MIC long range Model 3 scared the s*** out of them.
It also gives them flexibility. If Giga Shanghai can really ramp, then it doesn't matter as much if Fremont is down. Excess MIC cars can be sold in Europe etc. Meanwhile competitors are piling more debt on. I don't see how bankruptcies aren't likely for most of the bigger auto companies.

Do we have any idea of when earnings day will be? I looked on it.tesla.com and didn't see any announcement there.

The lack of an announced day is bothering me - I don't take it as bearish or bullish. I take it as a sign of weakness of the company's accounting system that they can't pre-announce a schedule for earnings that we can plan around.