Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Goldman Sachs analyst Mark Delaney this evening "initiating" TSLA with a BUY rating and $864 price target is essentially transitioning to a huge upgrade from the SELL rating and $158 price target of their former analyst David Tamberrino.

https://www.tipranks.com/analysts/mark-delaney

https://www.tipranks.com/analysts/david-tamberrino

Hmmm, who was it that predicted just a few months ago that investment banks would take TSLA away from automotive analysts and hand it over to tech analysts?

1:24 for the relevant part

Why does your chart only show TSLA gaining about 3.9% when the actual amount was over twice that? :confused:

Well, not "my" chart but the interactive chart from NASDAQ. The plot shows intraday trading as the % change in SP vs. Opening ie: Open = Zero %

Look for the green print (top-center of the chart) to see the current daily % change in SP vs the previous Close:

^79.25 (12.17%)

Using the data from that line as a double check, you can subtract "Change" from ""Last" to get the previous Close, but I presume you already have an easier way to get that. ;)

Cheers!

Last edited:
Also this is now available:-

Great video. I am impressed with Munro actually. Especially when he answered the 1st question once Elon left - "Why do you think we don't see more competition in EV space, especially from legacy manufacturers?"

Munro: "Mainly all people that are in charge who think that the old good days are gonna come back/you wanted the right answer.../they don't believe that things are gonna change and that tragically is the way it works..."

He is so right about it and not shy to admit it. I really think he's been turned around to the Tesla side. It was unfortunate that he started "youtubing" with John McElroy who really f'd up Tesla Model 3 autopilot "review" - TWICE.

Elon was great as usual. Gali was non-existent really. Good stuff.

The upgrades are nice but I believe what’s pushing us is the Missouri factory offer.
The After-hrs +$40/share move began less than 2 minutes after the news broke about the GS upgrade...

The Joplin news broke hours before that.

I don't think Joplin has a snowball's chance of being selected for the Cybertruck GF. IMO, the fact they made their offer public indicates they are an outsider in the process throwing a late, desperate Hail Mary.

It's either Austin (I actually wanted San Marcos) or Nashville.

That's not the point: the price has now been set for getting a Gigafactory in your State. Miniumum bid: $1,000,000,001.00 :D

Cheers!

Last edited:
Great video. I am impressed with Munro actually. Especially when he answered the 1st question once Elon left - "Why do you think we don't see more competition in EV space, especially from legacy manufacturers?"

Munro: "Mainly all people that are in charge who think that the old good days are gonna come back/you wanted the right answer.../they don't believe that things are gonna change and that tragically is the way it works..."

He is so right about it and not shy to admit it. I really think he's been turned around to the Tesla side. It was unfortunate that he started "youtubing" with John McElroy who really f'd up Tesla Model 3 autopilot "review" - TWICE.

Elon was great as usual. Gali was non-existent really. Good stuff.

The second casting machine was news to me, and may have answered my question about whether casting machines have a fixed capacity.

It looks like 2 machines are needed to make Model Y, perhaps for capacity reasons, or perhaps to make a smooth transition from a 3 piece to a 1 piece cast rear section.

The one piece cast rear section sounds great, the German paint shop sounds great.

Makes you wonder how many other great things are in the pipeline.

U.S. self-driving car startup Zoox agrees to settle lawsuit with Tesla

'Zoox said the settlement required it to pay Tesla an undisclosed amount and undergo an audit to ensure that none of its employees had retained or are using Tesla’s confidential information.'

“Zoox acknowledges that certain of its new hires from Tesla were in possession of Tesla documents pertaining to shipping, receiving, and warehouse procedures when they joined Zoox’s logistics team,” Zoox said.

I have no idea if Joplin has any advantages but I really hope Tesla stays out of Austin and Nashville. As a music fan these are by far the cities I have visited most in the US and I've seen both go from semi-sleepy musician friendly places with reasonable living costs transformed to highs that no musicians can afford anymore. It's already there in Austin and getting there in Nashville.

I get it that you can't put a GF in North Dakota but there must be places that start out on a much lower level of housing shortage and general living costs that could work.

A lot of ratings changes are not material but this one seems significant. GS were historically bearish and their covering analyst was clueless and stuck in an OEM mindset. Then they removed coverage and now re-initiated with a bullish view, a target price above where we are (but still realistic), and a new analyst covering. I think this will hold more weight than the average upgrade.

OT: theres a lot of Glee these days, and I can't say I myself aren't feeling pretty smart these days. But I think it's important to take some time to remember there are millions of people who are losing everything right now. I know many people who are really hurting and it's really tearing my down. The last few days I have killed it while they are counting the days to bankruptcy. This is a really messed up situation.

Frankly I'm happy for myself but I constantly feel like I need to take a shower. Doing so well while so many are hurting so much feels so wrong.

OT: theres a lot of Glee these days, and I can't say I myself aren't feeling pretty smart these days. But I think it's important to take some time to remember there are millions of people who are losing everything right now. I know many people who are really hurting and it's really tearing my down. The last few days I have killed it while they are counting the days to bankruptcy. This is a really messed up situation.

Frankly I'm happy for myself but I constantly feel like I need to take a shower. Doing so well while so many are hurting so much feels so wrong.

I hear ya, but as the Dali Lama once asked, "would it help if I frowned?"

Be proud that you own part of a company that is GIFTING thousands of respirators to hospitals in immediate need, while GM is charging the Federal Gov't 100s of Millions for respirators they won't deliver before October.

That's the difference between leadership and management. Elon's rolling up his sleeves and gettin'er dun!

CH33RS!

I hear ya, but as the Dali Lama once asked, "would it help if I frowned?"

Be proud that you own part of a company that is GIFTING thousands of respirators to hospitals in immediate need, while GM is charging the Federal Gov't 100s of Millions for respirators they won't deliver before October.

That's the difference between leadership and management. Elon's rolling up his sleeves and gettin'er dun!

CH33RS!

I do appreciate what Tesla is doing. But frankly the fact ventalitors is even a discussion point is honestly a waste of time. Mortality for someone on a vent is still 80-90%. Meanwhile millions of America's are just screwed. I've donated to food programs and done things that I can. I hope you all consider doing the same with some of what you've made on Tesla.

My entire portfolio was 50k in August. If I can afford to give thousands to those in need I know many of you can as well

Last edited:
What a crazy week already! Imagine the possibilities if Elon confirms 2020 guidance. I think we zip past 1000 if that is the case and I would say there is a good chance he confirms guidance.

I normally don’t use margin investing but this is so tempting. I cannot think of a more high reward low risk scenario in recent times. Not advice but like somebody said above this GS rating is a huge deal.

Reactions: phantasms
A lot of ratings changes are not material but this one seems significant. GS were historically bearish and their covering analyst was clueless and stuck in an OEM mindset. Then they removed coverage and now re-initiated with a bullish view, a target price above where we are (but still realistic), and a new analyst covering. I think this will hold more weight than the average upgrade.

They moved it from an auto analyst to a tech analyst.

Adam Jonas is an auto analyst.. just saying..

The After-hrs +$40/share move began less than 2 minutes after the news broke about the GS upgrade...

The Joplin news broke hours before that.

That's not the point: the price has now been set for getting a Gigafactory in your State. Miniumum bid: $1,000,000,001.00 :D

Cheers!
True. But CNBC posted it (Missouri) simultaneously with the AH shooting up. I imagine they get more views. Good investors wouldn’t wait for CNBC to post it though so you’re still right, it just looked coincidental to me

Also this is now available:-

Just watched the first half with Elon.

While I must say that it's always a pleasure to listen to Elon talk about just about anything, I was very disappointed that none of the 'hosts' offered Elon and Sandy the opportunity to ask each other questions.

Interaction between the two was a little limited, and imo their #1 priority should've been to offer them the opportunity to ask questions. Sandy could've asked Elon about things he saw during the Y tear down, and about the upcoming Cybertruck. Elon could've perhaps used the opportunity to ask Sandy's opinion on a few topics he's interested in... but alas. Wasted opportunity.

The US should just dig the grave of oil while they are down and set a deadline to have all combustion engines off the road. Let everyone know coronavirus started because of pollution (probably false) and say we like clean air.

Tell refineries they will now make only jet and rocket fuel for Elon Musk to go to mars a bunch. Sadly I don’t think we have enough batteries to get all gas powered cars off road anytime soon

• Funny
Reactions: powertoold