Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
D0Ag9UqUwAAF_NA.jpg:large

HT @tesla_truth

(Note: I wish it was possible to shrink the images that we post, without having to choose between an illegibly-small thumbnail and something that takes up two pages worth of screen real-estate. :Þ)
Most interestingly is that the correction came from one of the more out spoken bears. Most of them are very dishonest, he probably regrets his honesty there. I bet his bear brethren are lambasting him now in a fud forum for his honesty.

PHEVs are the worst of all worlds - most expensive, most complex, MOST EXPENSIVE PRODUCTION, most complex to service for the dealers, heavy, slow, short range, full of flammable liquid plus batteries etc. They are great as a used vehicle to bridge to a full EV while saving some money but not a good deal as a new vehicle IMO.

At their worst, PHEVs are just a way to cheat EV tax credits and other legal frameworks by people who don't plan to ever plug them in (*cough* many BMW i8 buyers *cough*)

Every rocket launch is broadcast, every rocket is white and freshly painted after being burned on reentry. It's all brand marketing whether Elon wants to admit it or not.
Au contraire, first stages are always new and white, but boosters are as-is:
Falcon 9 rolls out to SpaceX’s West Coast launch pad at Vandenberg Air Force Base ahead of Sunday’s targeted launch of 64 payloads for the Spaceflight SSO-A: SmallSat Express mission. Falcon 9’s first stage for this mission completed two East Coast launches & landings this year.
SpaceX on Twitter

f9_1.jpg

Attachments

• f9_2.jpg
    f9_2.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 59
PHEVs are the worst of all worlds - most expensive, most complex, MOST EXPENSIVE PRODUCTION, most complex to service for the dealers, heavy, slow, short range, full of flammable liquid plus batteries etc. They are great as a used vehicle to bridge to a full EV while saving some money but not a good deal as a new vehicle IMO.
Their biggest virtue is getting rid of the "Oh my gosh, it's a battery" fear.

I woke up this morning to a message from Fidelity that 9 of the 320 SP Puts I had sold last week for today have been assigned to me. I was planning on rolling them today. So be aware that if you are selling Puts you can't always roll them....

I typically roll by close the day before expiry to try and minimize this risk.

My 2nd is due later this year. I’m becoming acutely aware of how easy it is (relatively) to raise a single child. :eek:
Congrats.

My 2nd was born earlier this month and I can confirm how (relatively) easy it is to raise a single child. Why do you think I've stopped posting here for the last couple of weeks? :rolleyes:

If you have to go to service center to get trim fixed or paint shop to get chips/imperfections repainted then it should very much count in reliability.

Almost all cars have powertrains that don't leave you stranded in first year of ownership.

You don't have to get your car repainted due to a small paint defect you couldn't even see from 2 ft away. I had to fix my Jags water pump just 9k miles in. There's a difference between the two.

If the model 3 reduced the probability of injury by 30% compared to the next best ICE, they should be pulling other cars recommendation for being unsafe. But instead they pulled Tesla for having small paint chips at delivery. Priorities....

I put down Feb22 from memory and I thought it was contained in that article but apparently it isn't. If I can find a reference I will post, but otherwise it would be best not to repeat the claim unless we have data to back it up. Thanks for the heads up.
That's unfortunate indeed; it is, however, all the more reason to concentrate efforts on the OIG's office.
I typically roll by close the day before expiry to try and minimize this risk.
I think you need to buy back the remaining puts that you have ASAP. Not much you can do about the 9 that have been assigned.

I won't deny that Teslas encourage enthusiasm in their owners in a way that Camrys et al. really do not. Having driven a Model 3 LRD, and having come at things from a direction of automotive enthusiasm before, I completely get it.

However, the Consumer Reports reader is one that would be incensed by their car being in the shop, even if it's the best thing since sliced bread. So, for problems that affect the functionality of the car, yeah, it's still an important factor.

First of all, that group of people has one foot in the grave. Their relevancy going forward is waning fast. The times, they are a changin’. If CR wants to remain relevant (and in business) they need to change as well, which means attracting a new demographic of consumers.

Secondly, though many people resist change, when push comes to shove they change...or die.

For the record, age wise I fall in that category but have never used CR as a product information source nor do I know anyone (family, friends) that has or does.

Finally, nobody in their right mind gets ‘incensed’ when their car gets repaired while they are at work (Ranger service), or they get a flat and the tow truck and loaner is on the way before their vehicle comes to a complete stop (future planned Tesla service), or they can book service appointments from the convenience of their lazy-boy on a Sunday afternoon during a football came via their APP etc., etc...

People need to get their heads out of their poopers and realize what’s truly important in life. Quit being so selfish and self-centered, thinking the world revolves around them. Understand that poo happens and it’s not the end of the world.

The whole idea of people going with 5 page check lists and being hyper anal retentive about panel gaps and such when picking up their Teslas is absurdly ridiculous. And yet here we are, holding Tesla to a standard no other OEM has ever been held to in the past or likely the future. Don’t even, I’ve seen plenty of high price cars and lower price cars with worse panel gapping than Teslas. It happens, a lot. If people were half as vigilant about their current cars when they bought them as they are with Teslas, they’d realize it.

Fyi, the price of my 3 is by far (10’s of thousands) the most expensive car I’ve ever purchased and in no way did I go to pick it up with some sort of, ‘I’m paying this much money, it better be perfect’ attitude. I went eyes wide open; new, high tech product, rolling the dice a bit (maybe a lot) here, but this is the right thing to do. I expected and planned for hiccups because the situation called for that possibility. Like, duh!

Anyway, we’re pretty much in agreement on the major points.

Last edited:
Too high too as it was right over my head - can you give a clue?

OT: The plot of the "Command and Conquer" game series revolves around the appearance of a seemingly alien, crystalline "plant" called tiberium, named after the Tiber river where it's discovered. Its lifecycle involves extracting minerals from organic matter (soil, plants, animals) that it grows on into its crystal structure, then spreading tiny crystals in the wind like spores. This is needless to say an environmental catastrophe. An cultlike organization known as the Brotherhood of Nod notes its potential as a concentrator of valuable minerals, however, and develops a way to harvest and refine the tiberium - making the organization incredibly wealthy. It deliberately spreads the tiberium around the world, then uses the ensuing destabilization as a way to help gain recruits into its paramilitary ranks and establish economic and military strongholds. To combat the spread of Nod, and Tiberium, the Global Defense Initiative is launched, as a unified international military front - but Nod uses this as a further recruiting tool, painting itself as a resistance against fascism and statism (in practice, it's a cult of personality built around its founder, Kain).

I guess the reference was too obscure :) Back to our regularly scheduled market discussion!

Last edited:
And it is up 73% in 3 years. There are "lies, damned lies and statistics" ;)

But you're absolutely right about the obscene amount of drama in that timeframe.

I'm one of the "lucky ones" who bought most of his position three years ago, almost to the day...

Of course nowhere near as good as the old-timers like Curt who are sitting on 10x... But still makes these tricky days much more bearable.