Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Zion's Nike sneaker blows apart on national TV with Obama screaming in the stands creating what could have been a career threatening injury and Nike stock drops about 1%

Tesla has the highest customer satisfaction rate of any car/car maker and has fixed the issues that caused a drop in CR's ratings and the stock drops 3%

<shake's head and heads off to bed>
In fairness Nike's competitors aren't pumping millions if not billions into making sure it fails.

I typically roll by close the day before expiry to try and minimize this risk.

Minimizing is not preventing it. More people should be aware that options can be called even if exercising the option doesn't make economical sense (giving up on time value). There are legendary tales on /r/wsb about people failing to realize that possibility and bitten hard in the backside as a result.

Minimizing is not preventing it. More people should be aware that options can be called even if exercising the option doesn't make economical sense (giving up on time value). There are legendary tales on /r/wsb about people failing to realize that possibility and bitten hard in the backside as a result.

Couldn’t agree more. I also pay attention to the remaining time value - if it gets too low, I roll.

Couldn’t agree more. I also pay attention to the remaining time value - if it gets too low, I roll.

Which is one reason why I rarely 'sell' calls or puts...Rather buy them because I am an OCD control freak ;)

Quake 4: Released in 2005
Command and Conquer 1: Released in 1995

Just saying ;) It was the first popular, true RTS game ever made (three years before the original Starcraft), and spawned a series of 11 games over a decade and a half timespan, selling over 30 million copies. I just figured people would have heard of it ;)

Also sorry, OT!!! :)

I'd argue for Dune 2 battle for arrakis as the first rts. But ya, it probably failed the "popular" part.

Whatever reference to tiberium can be replaced by spice. Till this date I still quote "the spice must flow" to my friends when situations dictate that the best course of action is to let the transaction continue even though it is evil or immoral.

Just saying ;) It was the first popular, true RTS game ever made (three years before the original Starcraft), and spawned a series of 11 games over a decade and a half timespan, selling over 30 million copies. I just figured people would have heard of it ;)

The original Warcraft came out in 1994. Just sayin’.

I'd argue for Dune 2 battle for arrakis as the first rts. But ya, it probably failed the "popular" part.

Whatever reference to tiberium can be replaced by spice. Till this date I still quote "the spice must flow" to my friends when situations dictate that the best course of action is to let the transaction continue even though it is evil or immoral.

Fremen add life to spice. :)

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Taycan, concept:
View attachment 379617

Taycan, reality:
View attachment 379618

Why do they always do this? :Þ Are there any other automakers beside Tesla who actually make their production cars as pretty as their "concepts"?

It looks a lot like a Cayman to me- so still a very pretty car! :)

Look at it this way, FINALLY somebody else is putting out an EV that looks good, not sabotaging sales by making it look like an ugly weirdmobile (I'm looking at you, i3 and Bolt!) Even the iPace and eTron aren't bad for crossovers (although one is named after a pile of...)
This is a good thing. EVs are going mainstream! I wonder why? :cool:

Thoughts on the whole CR thing:
  • Tying recommendation to a minimum of average reliability, regardless of owner satisfaction, is a fair methodology, IMO. Consumer Reports has an audience that looks at a car like they do a washing machine - a pure appliance. So, below average reliability means it's a poor appliance and shouldn't be recommended to their audience, even if it is fun to drive. I mean, look at Ferrari - their cars are known for hideous unreliability and extreme maintenance costs, yet many of their owners are completely satisfied, because it becomes "worth it" to the owner when it is running.
  • The lack of authentication of ownership, OTOH, is concerning. I wonder if CR will start seeing an uptick in "whompy wheels" on the Model 3, or something equally asinine.
  • Sampling bias, as others have pointed out, is a potential issue as well, even if there isn't ballot box stuffing.
  • The methodology of determining reliability is broken. Paint defects that don't go down to the metal (and therefore do not cause corrosion issues), and panel gaps that don't admit water, are not reliability issues - they're quality issues, but they do not affect the utility of the vehicle, and should be very heavily deweighted (in addition to the powertrain weighting that's done). Touchscreen crashing and glass cracking, however, do count as reliability issues in my mind.
  • I don't blame CR for not taking Tesla at their word that the issues are fixed, however. Wait until the data reflects otherwise.
  • The timing and especially the methodology and presentation of the release is, however, rather suspicious. I don't think they're misrepresenting data - for the time period that they have data for, the problems they bring up were actual problems. And, that'll clear up soon. But, how they presented the story, and how they seeded it with other outlets? That's clickbait at best, and as others have pointed out, almost certainly tipped off stock manipulators.
I am not sure the analogy with Ferrari is a good one as I have several friends who only bought Toyota s in their adult life first wandered out of the brand and bought model 3 last summer. Usually Ferrari and toyotT don't go together.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Slight OT. Amazon has a "shipment zero" project - where they want to be carbon neutral in shipments. They have a goal of 50% zero carb shipments by 2030. This explains their interest in Rivian, perhaps - though I'd expect them to procure the most economical EVs with certain reliability thresholds.

Delivering Shipment Zero, a vision for net zero carbon shipments

Amazon has a long-term goal to power our global infrastructure using 100% renewable energy, and we are making solid progress. With improvements in electric vehicles, aviation bio fuels, reusable packaging, and renewable energy, for the first time we can now see a path to net zero carbon delivery of shipments to customers, and we are setting an ambitious goal for ourselves to reach 50% of all Amazon shipments with net zero carbon by 2030. We are calling this project "Shipment Zero” – it won’t be easy to achieve this goal, but it’s worth being focused and stubborn on this vision and we’re committed to seeing it through.

*waves hand*

Quake 4 was my first published video game.

Edit: Also off topic - in our studio of ~250 people we have 6 Model 3s, 2 Volts, i3 rex, 530e. We currently have 6 level 2 chargers with another 6 on the way.

Last edited: