Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just woke up at 9 am. Price dropped $5, not too bad. Did I miss anything? :)

Jokes aside, now Fremont factory is working, what is the worst case can Alameda County do?
I guess no worse than $20 M penalty fine that SEC did for the “fund secured” tweet? Still, that will be a big fortune to the county.
Anyone has an idea?

Issue a cease and desist order? The real issue for Tesla, defying a Public Health Order, is that individual employees and anyone else remotely in the contact sphere of Fremont can sue for damages if they contract the virus. Defying a health dept order to close leaves them very vulnerable.

Something to consider on why the county probably has a legitimate reason to push for May 18 instead of May 8. San Joaquin County R0 is appreciably lower than Alameda county's. I'm looking for case load numbers as well . By May 18 there is a good chance Alameda county would be below 1.

Is your community ready to reopen?

CNBC just had a lady on with aviators that said Elon should have spent more time negotiating and building a safety plan than complaining on Twitter lol

you mean like that 38 page safety playbook? Or the negotiations when the county said “we’ll let you know when it’s safe”

kara swisher of re/code...
she’s not bad. doesn’t seem to play favorites...says what’s on her mind.

Reactions: Nathan and homer214
A dissenting opinion, does not equate to trolling. Stop trying to amplify the echo-chamber, and maybe embrace the people trying to show the other side of the coin. Without it you lose balance, and without balance, you cannot make an informed decision on how to invest. Whenever stuff like his comes up, I am reminded of the guy here who was harassed off, warning of model X delays, and displaying obvious intimate knowledge about it. He proved to be right, but by that time, we lost the valuable resource he was, do to straight up fan-person bullying.

We lost a bunch of high quality posters around the closing all stores kerfuffle as well.

A dissenting opinion, does not equate to trolling. Stop trying to amplify the echo-chamber, and maybe embrace the people trying to show the other side of the coin. Without it you lose balance, and without balance, you cannot make an informed decision on how to invest. Whenever stuff like his comes up, I am reminded of the guy here who was harassed off, warning of model X delays, and displaying obvious intimate knowledge about it. He proved to be right, but by that time, we lost the valuable resource he was, do to straight up fan-person bullying.
I wasn't referring to that post, this guys has just so clearly been trolling here all year. Trolling isn't necessarily pro or anti Tesla.

Agree 100% with your sentiment, I am a fanboy fully supportive of robust conversation. This place is just becoming a bit messy with highly vocal posters who don't add much.

HQ is where the general is.
HQ is all the people working at Tesla that like Musk makes it special. Deeming other execs and engineers across all divisions as simply "office staff" is a very ignorant way of looking at it. Making these absurd rationalizations is exactly the point I'm trying to make. Any sort of HQ move would require a slowdown from Tesla as it would involve a large percentage (you can debate 10-60% imo) of non production employees being replaced. That is not an easy task and one that would be smooth. Not everyone has Musk's private jet to fly them to Texas 3 times a week.

Also would the design center in LA be moved out as well?

Nope. Not necessarily
I posted yesterday that my previous employer was domiciled ex-US. Our headquarters in the domicile country was 2 offices with less than 10 employees on location. This is for a company of >20000 employees with 90% of its operations in US. We also had 4-5 US sites including 2 manufacturing sites. The CEO and most of the top management were located in the US site on east coast, which was not the largest. Most R&D is located in CA - multiple sites as well.

it doesn’t matter what or where the HQ is located for most functions of the company.

Something to consider on why the county probably has a legitimate reason to push for May 18 instead of May 8. San Joaquin County R0 is appreciably lower than Alameda county's. I'm looking for case load numbers as well . By May 18 there is a good chance Alameda county would be below 1.

I wasn't referring to that post, this guys has just so clearly been trolling here all year. Trolling isn't necessarily pro or anti Tesla.

Agree 100% with your sentiment, I am a fanboy fully supportive of robust conversation. This place is just becoming a bit messy with highly vocal posters who don't add much.

Yes the year where I made the most money ever in my life off of Tesla stock+options is the year I was trolling, you got it.

and disagree-ing with a completely innocuous comment like mine about different R0 levels in different counties that some may find helpful here and shed some light on the county's decisions beyond "they just hate Tesla" isn't trolling?

Didn't they hire someone from an English museum or something to oversee their social accounts? Must have been a couple of years ago. Wonder if he's still around? I guess he never got to take over Elons private account.

He was super active on Tesla Twitter account for a couple of months then it abruptly stopped. I guess it didn't work out.

kara swisher of re/code...
she’s not bad. doesn’t seem to play favorites...says what’s on her mind.

Yea I generally like her. That said, she is only assuming Elon complained on Twitter and didn't engage the county. Tesla's official statement made it sound like they had been talking with county for awhile about reopening. We don't know the full facts. Like anything, it's probably somewhere in the middle.

Elon and Third Row Tesla displaying some serious ignorance and naivete on the California Legislature this morning. Attacking Assm. Gonzalez as if she's in the pocket of big oil? Lmfao. She is attacking him to drum up support with labor, plain and simple.

Elon continues to go off half-cocked and just overall disappoint on this issue. And I say this as a big supporter of his.

It's quite easy to understand. Tesla isn't defying any orders.

The CA public health officer and Newsom ordered that those involved in critical infrastructure operations continue to work. When this was ordered, they DIDN'T say, "counties can be stricter regarding critical infrastructure operations." ( California Governor Issues Revised List of Essential and Critical Workers | Insights | Holland & Knight ) (critical infrastructure list: https://covid19.ca.gov/img/EssentialCriticalInfrastructureWorkers.pdf )

When Newsom started Phase 2, he ALLOWED counties to not follow. This is SEPARATE from the order regarding critical infrastructure. ( Newsom: California can reopen shops starting Friday | CalMatters )

Summary: don't confuse Phase 2 reopening with the initial CA shelter order. The initial CA shelter order specifically allowed for critical infrastructure operations to continue. There was no clause for counties to make their own decisions re: critical infrastructure. County orders CANNOT contradict state orders. County orders can be STRICTER.

Last edited:
The problem is she, like everyone else complaining about Elon on Twitter, only sees what is going on publicly. She does not see the discussions/negotiations going on behind the scenes yet she feels qualified to spew garbage like “Elon should spend less time complaining on Twitter and more time putting together a back to work strategy”. Such garbage.

In reality if the primary mover, president, ceo what ever you call them moves to a new location, a support staff will grow around them.

Musk has given several signals such as selling his houses that he is moving. From a personal tax stand point, moving to a zero income tax state such as Texas or Nevada makes sense. How fast more of operations follows him is the question.

Yea I generally like her. That said, she is only assuming Elon complained on Twitter and didn't engage the county. Tesla's official statement made it sound like they had been talking with county for awhile about reopening. We don't know the full facts. Like anything, it's probably somewhere in the middle.

Even Mr. Haggerty had said that they have been working with Tesla on the back to work plan. So the play book already has stuff in it from the county.

“We were working on a lot of policies and procedures to help operate that plant and quite frankly, I think Tesla did a pretty good job, and that’s why I had it to the point where on May 18, Tesla would have opened,” Mr. Haggerty said. “I know Elon knew that. But he wanted it this week.”[/QUOTE

Elon and Third Row Tesla displaying some serious ignorance and naivete on the California Legislature this morning. Attacking Assm. Gonzalez as if she's in the pocket of big oil? Lmfao. She is attacking him to drum up support with labor, plain and simple.

Elon continues to go off half-cocked and just overall disappoint on this issue. And I say this as a big supporter of his.
How is "Message received" a counter-attack by Elon in response to her rude and inflamatory "F*ck Elon Musk" tweet?

How is this grouping her with big oil?

How is Elon responsible for what 3rd Row tweets?

And I ask this as a big supporter of Tesla's mission.

In reality if the primary mover, president, ceo what ever you call them moves to a new location, a support staff will grow around them.

Musk has given several signals such as selling his houses that he is moving. From a personal tax stand point, moving to a zero income tax state such as Texas or Nevada makes sense. How fast more of operations follows him is the question.
There really is no reason of any operations to follow the HQ. Fremont, Palo Alto and Lathrop will go on just like Shanghai really far from the HQ. It is clear that manufacturing expansion will happen outside the Bay area probably next in TX.

How is "Message received" a counter-attack by Elon in response to her rude and inflamatory "F*ck Elon Musk" tweet?

How is this grouping her with big oil?

How is Elon responsible for what 3rd Row tweets?

And I ask this as a big supporter of Tesla's mission.

Let me preface my post with this: I have absolutely zero love lost for Lorena Gonzalez. I do not agree with her on many issues. I do, however, expect people of Elon's stature to actually engage in some critical thought before spouting off in a public forum.

I am referring to the below-linked tweet and line of attack. I mean, they're not even wrong in that her attack is politically motivated (she's a politician for crying out loud), they're just right for the wrong reasons. Not a huge deal, just another reminder that Elon is human and absolutely capable of spouting off (at this moment in the form of amplification of an outright misleading statement) before he has a full grasp of the facts.

Elon Musk on Twitter

Again - disappointing.

Even easier for some of you hard-heads to understand:

Initial CA shelter order: car mfging can continue (don't need to close at all)

Reopening: certain businesses that were closed can begin reopening, but counties don't need to follow state's reopening guidelines

The final punch: car mfging was never required to close, so they aren't even applicable to the "reopening"

The problem is she, like everyone else complaining about Elon on Twitter, only sees what is going on publicly. She does not see the discussions/negotiations going on behind the scenes yet she feels qualified to spew garbage like “Elon should spend less time complaining on Twitter and more time putting together a back to work strategy”. Such garbage.
Moreever, as already been said, she is in San Diego. Why it is her business of asserting strong opinion on what's happening in Fremont/Alameda?

If "liberal" wants to impose their moral high grounds, they need to be held as such.
  • Should not take oil corporate money when they are bashing capitalism. Not a single penny.
  • Should have clean voting records on oil & gas policy.
  • Should not curse in tweet when they branded Elon as childish.
The rules cannot be only applicable to be just one side which is what is happening now.