Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If we have a "Broken Windows" presentation on battery day

And I hope for another Broken Windows moment / presentation. I think it was brilliant, in it's clearly unplanned nature, and the outcome. Made the company and Elon look human, and also made the point that the company will do radical stuff that might not work exactly right in a demo. I even thought that in the moment, while the presentation was still happening (and happy to see that it's worked out more + than -; it's even got it's own t-shirt!)

I love that.

Love the quote “That support must respect our youth’s expectations on climate change and for a healthier and cleaner future”.

Looks like Greta Thunberg has made a big impact on climate change policy, hat off to her!

Kids striking every Fri, no one was listening.
Kids staying at home with parents, due to ..., everyone's listening :)
+ also must be realizing how clean air can be without the Diesel(even with the defeat devices)

And I hope for another Broken Windows moment / presentation. I think it was brilliant, in it's clearly unplanned nature, and the outcome. Made the company and Elon look human, and also made the point that the company will do radical stuff that might not work exactly right in a demo. I even thought that in the moment, while the presentation was still happening (and happy to see that it's worked out more + than -; it's even got it's own t-shirt!)

I love that.
I bought the shirt too lol! I just don't know why Elon continues with the explanation the edge of the glass cracked because of sledgehammer impacts. Just say its not perfect and leave it at that. The rear door was never hit with the sledgehammer, then why did the rear glass break just as easily if the "edge was chipped from the hammer"?

I'm also curious what happens to the cyber truck door when you hit it with the side of the hammer just like the swing at the competition door. That type of hammer hit steel first (no plastic impact protection) when swung sideways against the competition door, but rubber first (with impact protection) when hit straight on the Cybertruck door.

Reactions: adiggs
Love the quote “That support must respect our youth’s expectations on climate change and for a healthier and cleaner future”.

Looks like Greta Thunberg has made a big impact on climate change policy, hat off to her!

My understanding is that individual EU states decide their own VAT and amount of vat on different categories.
So I wouldn't be so sure that eu commission can rule this..

• Disagree
Reactions: Ipe and Lessmog
i thought the EU didnt set rates, but did decide what could / could not have VAT on? there was a whole big argument between the UK and EU about VAT on tampons which I think was because of this rule.

wikipedia:
it was intended that the minimum VAT rate throughout Europe would be 5%. However, zero-rating remains in some member states, particularly the UK and Ireland, as a legacy of pre-EU legislation. These member states have been granted a derogation to continue existing zero-rating but are not permitted to add new goods or services. An EU member state may uplift their domestic zero rate to a higher rate, for example to 5% or 20%; however, EU VAT rules do not allow a reversal back to the zero rate once it has been given up. Member states may institute a reduced rate on a previously zero-rated item even where EU law does not provide for a reduced rate. On the other hand, if a member state makes an increase from a zero-rate to the prevalent standard rate, they may not decrease to a reduced rate unless specifically provided for in EU VAT Law

So as I read that... you can set your own VAT rate, but you cant decide what things ar zero-rated. Only the EU can declare that you are allowed to zero-rate a product. So this may indeed be a big deal.

Reactions: Johann Koeber
My understanding is that individual EU states decide their own VAT and amount of vat on different categories.
So I wouldn't be so sure that eu commission can rule this..

Not sure if every country would have to vote yes for it to be implemented. But if it goes through and is funded out of the EU budget any country not using it would be stupid. Because then they would help pay for it with no benefits for it's citizen.

That said everything and your grandmother is traded away in these negotiations so this is far from a done deal.

Reactions: Johann Koeber
OT CT
I bought the shirt too lol! I just don't know why Elon continues with the explanation the edge of the glass cracked because of sledgehammer impacts. Just say its not perfect and leave it at that. The rear door was never hit with the sledgehammer, then why did the rear glass break just as easily if the "edge was chipped from the hammer"?

I'm also curious what happens to the cyber truck door when you hit it with the side of the hammer just like the swing at the competition door. That type of hammer hit steel first (no plastic impact protection) when swung sideways against the competition door, but rubber first (with impact protection) when hit straight on the Cybertruck door.

They tried a few times before the reveal and it worked, so sledge (dead blow) seems a possible cause. Or, they just got unlucky.
The rear door glass was never sphere proof. From the recent interview on Hack Club :
Well, if the first window didn’t work, don’t worry, the second window will definitely work. We were meant to use the window on the other side. That was a bit startling.

The first hit on the white door was not direct and did twist the hammer, but it was not side first.
hit1.PNG

The second hit was much more square.

hit2.PNG

Cybertruck hits, note the displacement apparent around the handle.
hit3.PNG
hit4.PNG

VAT Basic rules

Standard rate
Each EU country has a standard rate which applies to the supply of most goods and services. This cannot be less than 15%.

Reduced rate

One or two reduced rates may be applied to supply of specific goods and services (based on the list in Annex III of the VAT Directive), but - in most cases - not to electronically supplied services. The reduced rates mentioned here cannot be less than 5%.
Special rates

Some EU countries are allowed to apply special VAT rates on certain supplies. These special rates apply to EU countries that were applying them on 1 January 1991.

They were originally meant to be transitional arrangements for a smoother shift to the EU VAT rules when the Single Market came into force on 1 January 1993, and were intended to be gradually phased out.

There are 3 types of special rates:

Super-reduced rates
Zero rates
Parking rates

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
TOS feed: JP Securities cuts price target from $1020 to $1001, keeps over weight ratings (no link)
Reuters and now Barrons rerunning story of China Vehicle Sales Plummet in April

IV is in lower 70%, so has dropped from the highs in upper 90's from few weeks back. (So option prices not moving as much)

$19 price adjustment, really? $19? How insightful.

I can't see how there would be a market for 20 million FSD taxis every year that drive all day? Your numbers are based on the car being used 10 years. That would mean 200 million FSD taxis. There is zero chance you could get 200 million cars driving 250 miles a day as a taxi. When people going to/from work there might be demand for that many but the rest of the day most of 200 million would get no or little use.

The math just doesn't add up for that many even if Tesla had more or less a monopoly.

You got to remember that the market for a $200k taxi is not worldwide. More like 1 billion or so out of 7 billion people live in a market that could make that price work to begin with.

The Robotaxi isn't only for driving people. I made a reservation for a Cybertruck. I intend to use this truck also for doing errands for construction sites for instance.

When you get your truck, let us know.