Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What, suddenly no concern over democracy. I am shocked, shocked I tell you.

Well the lawsuit was a means of putting pressure on the county to allow Tesla to reopen. It achieved its goal so what’s the point of continuing? I highly doubt the county would be forced to pay damages so the only logical option is to drop the suit. Unless I misunderstood your point, I don’t see where you’re going with this.

This closes that rambunctious chapter of the Tesla saga.

In hindsight, I overreacted to Elon’s tweets, and deleveraged a bit too much. I apologize to this forum for getting too worked up about Elon’s Twitter behavior, which is increasingly becoming normalized by the market.

That said, be careful out there. We’ve all been warned now, multiple times, that Elon can go into a pretty dark place, lash out publicly, and slice billions off the market cap in a single tweet.

Dec 13 2019 the Volume was 6.4M. It was every day above todays 7.2M since then.

What does this mean?
Much of the US is beginning to reopen from the COVID shutdown this week, and it is a beautiful sunny day in the Northeast with a holiday weekend approaching. Maybe traders are taking a break from their computers and heading outside? The forecast looks great for the rest of the week also so low volumes may continue.

I took a quick look at AMZN and AAPL... their volumes today were about half average volume also.

The lawsuit has accomplished it's purpose of putting pressure on Alameda, so I see the logic in dropping the suit. Unfortunately, this will inevitably be spun as an admission on the part of Tesla that they had no real case to begin with. With them not pursuing a settlement, this will be impossible to prove either way. Could be negative from a PR perspective.
Other aspect is that the public memory is short, and with Tesla dropping the suit nobody is going to be talking about the whole situation in a couple months. Net effect on PR is difficult to estimate IMO, may even be positive.

Well the lawsuit was a means of putting pressure on the county to allow Tesla to reopen. It achieved its goal so what’s the point of continuing? I highly doubt the county would be forced to pay damages so the only logical option is to drop the suit. Unless I misunderstood your point, I don’t see where you’re going with this.

When Tesla hired a high powered law firm, it indicated to me (not lawyer) that their case was weak, perhaps emotional and this was just a publicity stunt mostly and would go no where.

Alternatively, it may indicate that when the workers came back this week, they found something that would weaken their case and their legal council advised retreat. YMMV

Well I would have assumed a judgement would help clarifying future lockdown orders. Say if Alameda county were to re-issue orders in the coming weeks to close down manufacturing plant that is contradicting federal stay open order of critical infrastructure, what then?

When Tesla hired a high powered law firm, it indicated to me (not lawyer) that their case was weak, perhaps emotional and this was just a publicity stunt mostly and would go no where.

Alternatively, it may indicate that when the workers came back this week, they found something that would weaken their case and their legal council advised retreat. YMMV
The only purpose of the lawsuit was to get the Fremont factory open. It worked.

I don't get this argument: Wouldn't you want to hire the best lawyers you can access regardless of your chance of success, because it's always a net positive for your case? I don't get the logic of saying "this is a slam dunk case, we can afford to hire the cheap lawyers". Does any large corporation actually do this?

Last edited:
This closes that rambunctious chapter of the Tesla saga.

In hindsight, I overreacted to Elon’s tweets, and deleveraged a bit too much. I apologize to this forum for getting too worked up about Elon’s Twitter behavior, which is increasingly becoming normalized by the market.

That said, be careful out there. We’ve all been warned now, multiple times, that Elon can go into a pretty dark place, lash out publicly, and slice billions off the market cap in a single tweet.

He that giveth can also take away, LOL! Before giving it back again and more!

Reactions: MC3OZ
Well I would have assumed a judgement would help clarifying future lockdown orders. Say if Alameda county were to re-issue orders in the coming weeks to close down manufacturing plant that is contradicting federal stay open order of critical infrastructure, what then?

What do you mean, "What then"? Personally, I think Alameda County took its bruises and learned it's a lesson.

If not, and they issue an order that Tesla thinks is unenforceable, they will simply file another suit (probably with different particulars) and continue production as they did in the last instance.

Keep in mind, even a 100% win (had Tesla taken the suit to its conclusion), would not prevent Alameda County from issuing future illegal orders. The claims in the suit were very specific to that particular order, Tesla was not claiming the County did not have jurisdiction over their operation, merely that their orders were not lawful.

Tulsa's Channel 8 on Twitter

Wow, Tulsa is really going all out to try and snag Tesla.

I dunno how I feel about this. I mean, I can understand why they'd want them there, but holding en-mass gatherings will likely only garner the critics initially (who don't read the article that there will be safety measures in place), but also if Tesla chooses Austin as many of us believe, it may hold a sense of 'betrayal' from those who are going out of their way to entice them. I mean, the website was clever as Etron, the Oil re-label guy kind of strange but alright, but this gathering is just starting to head towards creepy.

Folks from Oklahoma are fine people but the thought of placing a plant deep in the heart of Tornado Alley worries me. If Austin wasn’t a go, North Carolina would be my favorite (but probably not Elon’s)—well educated technical workforce in RDU and folks that can work in Manufacturing.

I don't get this argument: Wouldn't you want to hire the best lawyers you can access regardless of your chance of success, because it's always a net positive for your case? I don't get the logic of saying "this is a slam dunk case, we can afford to hire the cheap lawyers". Does any large corporation actually do this?
The one I used to work for did. They used in-house council and lost the case. From then on, we had to deal with the ramifications. Mostly it just hurt our customers.

Folks from Oklahoma are fine people but the thought of placing a plant deep in the heart of Tornado Alley worries me. If Austin wasn’t a go, North Carolina would be my favorite (but probably not Elon’s)—well educated technical workforce in RDU and folks that can work in Manufacturing.
Texas can attract some pretty catastrophic weather, too. In ‘97, a pack of 20 tornadoes tore across central Texas. The worst was a monster Fujita 5 that descended on Jarrell, TX (near Austin).
1997 Central Texas tornado outbreak - Wikipedia
It was... bad.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger

And the Carolinas have hurricanes. Pick your poison.

Reactions: Prunesquallor