Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mod Request:

Can we, by vote, get the Coronavirus thread moved out of the sticky section?

1. I have lurked here for years and I believe the thread is a disgrace to TMC.

2. It has little relevance to TSLA and appears to be just an echo chamber of insults, political rants, and fear mongering. My best guesstimate is that the mention of TSLA is less than 1 % of the content.

3. As a society we are moving on from the coronavirus. I believe it would be healthy and beneficial for TMC to move on as well.

This request is not to remove the thread in entirety. I just believe that it should not be a sticky thread. It is a distraction from TSLA.

Thank you for considering this and thank you to all the regular posters that have contributed level headed comments over the years. It has been, for the most part, rewarding to read.

Reason I disagreed = that thread, as best I can tell, is the 2nd most active in this forum. And possibly the most active in this forum. The activity will keep that near the top of the list either way, but we don't rely on activity in this thread to keep it near the top either.

Note that I love the existence of that thread - I don't personally read it, but it does a pretty nice job of isolating all of that activity so I don't need to see it.

So my disagree is in the nature of a vote on the proposal.

Cars aren't a very big part of Tesla's future IMO. This could be a purely storage-based gigafactory, lord knows all of Europe will have massive demand. Though I guess this plant wouldn't technically be in Europe........

Good point, but even then, I'm not sure the UK is the best choice (Although obviously I'd be in favour). Everywhere in europe means sending stuff through the channel tunnel, or by ship, which is a bottleneck nobody needs. Plus wage costs in the UK are not exactly super cheap, and our planning system is pretty dreadful for building new factories. Plus solar wise.... there are better places for creating solar products...
BUT
We have a huge amunt of wind energy, and are building tons more, so its arguable the case we are a very good place for selling/testing energy storage. But then the ingredients (lithium etc) are not exactly local to us.
Also brexit puts a big phat 'who knows what will happen' question mark over our economy. I can imagine a second GF in Germany before there is one here. I CAN imagine a design/research facility in the UK. We are the home of deep mind, and have some pretty geeky univerities etc...

Today ranks # 6 in All Time High "Closing Price"
(closing price high not intra-day)
View attachment 545980

Thanks to some obvious manipulation right there at the end! o_O

Just kidding! You can put me in the camp of those who think the stock is manipulated but that it doesn't matter in the bigger picture. In other words, any manipulative pressure that caps the price one day just builds the pressure for a break-out rally another day. Manipulators can only do so much. The company is worth whatever it's worth, regardless of the current trading price. :cool:

Mod Request:

2. It has little relevance to TSLA and appears to be just an echo chamber of insults, political rants, and fear mongering. My best guesstimate is that the mention of TSLA is less than 1 % of the content.

3. As a society we are moving on from the coronavirus. I believe it would be healthy and beneficial for TMC to move on as well.

This request is not to remove the thread in entirety. I just believe that it should not be a sticky thread. It is a distraction from TSLA.

Thank you for considering this and thank you to all the regular posters that have contributed level headed comments over the years. It has been, for the most part, rewarding to read.

LOL the largest black swan event and effects on economy have no relevance to TSLA? Get your head out of the sand.

So nice society has "moved on" from the coronavirus. Unfortunately that doesn't mean coronavirus has moved on from society.

Ditto to the above.
That thread saved my ass in a lot of ways and may continue to do so.

God, good thing I haven't been reading it then. It probably would have ruined my ability to make money on the upside! ;)

So much over-exaggeration. So, we have Coronavirus, life must go on. :cool:

I've been splurging (spending money) more than usual. I think Coronavirus has reminded people they are only here for a short time and you never know when it will be your last breath. Might as well enjoy it. Now, if you'll excuse me, I think I need to order another Tesla! ;)

Make sure it's the Performance version, gotta enjoy life while it lasts! :p

GF could assemble the cars, but focus on Utilities. Wasn't there news like Tesla applied to be Utility provider in UK few weeks back?

Yes that is a possibility. Tesla building a big MegaPack battery and using it's utility license and their Autobidder to trade electricity. Don't need to make cars there at all!

Autobidder

Lotus benefits from its Chinese connection

The Economist spins this as a Lotus story, but I think it's really about China's Geely moving forward with EVs. This further validates Tesla's approach and its presence in China.

[...]

Geely might succeed where others have failed because it comes with financial backing, and a track record of expanding abroad and turning round struggling car firms. In the decade since it acquired Volvo the Swedish firm has thrived. Since taking over the company that manufactures London Taxis in 2013 it has developed a smooth-driving electric black cab that has cleaned up London’s air by reducing emissions and improving the mood of tetchy cabbies.

Geely is rumoured to be pumping around £1.5bn ($1.8bn) into the firm, an estimate that Mr Popham says is “conservative”. The cash will pay for the firm’s first new model for a decade—the Evija £2m electric hypercar, a “halo” vehicle designed to restore Lotus’s reputation for technology and speed; 130 of them will be made. A cheaper new sports car will follow in 2021.

The relationship should benefit both sides. The British firm can piggyback on Geely’s investment by outsourcing the development of a new platform, the basic underpinning of a car, and the costs of electrifying all future models. Geely can tap British expertise in aerodynamics and building light vehicles, important for keeping down the tonnage of electric cars with hefty batteries.

[...]​

Won't that be a wonderful change in strategy for Audi?
No. Audi have been making EV announcements for years. I see no change in strategy there, this is just their latest, greatest EV announcement. And it is a beauty! You gotta admit, Audi makes the best EV announcements.

EDIT: @adiggs you beat me to it! :)

Last edited:
No. Audi have been making EV announcements for years. I see no change in strategy there, this is just their latest, greatest EV announcement. And it is a beauty! You gotta admit, Audi makes the best EV announcements.

EDIT: @adiggs you beat me to it! :)

giphy.gif

I was able to essentially double my TSLA position while lowering my cost basis because of that thread.

Not to mention I stocked up on toilet paper before it was cool.

Yes yes. Something something taxes. Enjoy your weekend. :p
I played some SPY puts and ended up making some decent money on the down side. I'm pretty happy with the Coronavirus discussion actually. Some people need to get a grip.

h[URL="https://twitter.com/benchmarkmin/status/1266448658989490177"]Benchmark Mineral Intelligence on Twitter[/URL]

“We are working with Daimler and BMW on the auto side but it is a long qualification proces. It will be a couple of years before you see our product in the EVs” Kurt Kelty
@SilaNanotech

Tesla will have some competition if a few years time, even if that competition has missed the jump, that is good for the mission, and not something to be overly concerned about.

Battery Investor Day should be great, and will probably spur the competition to redouble their efforts, as they will realise the race may be over before they even start running.

It is fairy likely Battery Investor Day would be before the Shareholders meeting, that seems like an ideal sequence to me, after the Shareholders meeting and Q2 earnings doesn't seem ideal.

So last 2 weeks of June would be my current hunch,... much later than that Limiting Factor will have worked everything out, he is doing sterling work.

Mod Request:

If you have been here for years you would notice the worst thing that has happed to the investors thread is the sad loss of several very high quality contributors. There are still good people here but the noise ratio is higher.