Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe someone mentioned something that I missed, but I'm surprised that I didn't see anyone mention that this trip could potentially have been for their application to become an energy provider in the UK. I'm sure that there are a lot of intricacies that go into that kind of application, especially when virtual power plants are to be utilized.

Well I mentioned it earlier because I agree with you that the utility license Tesla applied for could be a great business opportunity for Tesla and their Autobidder platform.

And then there are rumours about a factory in the UK.

And finally Tesla hiring insurance people. A third possibility for his visit.

Or all three combined. Or his favourite chippie.

Since my family lives in the southern most part of the Netherlands, I spend a fair amount of time in the Netherlands, Belgium, and Germany. What always jumps out at me, is how Europeans build gas stations in comparison to the U.S. European gas stations are often built immediately adjacent to their freeways, little more than a lane change to enter. Designed to optimize convenience and accessibility — I like ‘em.

Yes, I'm from the Netherlands myself, and the gas stations on freeways are more like rest stops. People spend 30 min there, there are food courts like the ones in the malls in the US. These are excellent locations for adding charging stations--I hope Tesla will add super chargers in these locations as well.

What's the general sentiment here about Battery Day at this point? We know the Shareholder meeting is a month from now. Do we think Battery Day will actually happen before the Shareholder meeting? It's beginning to feel a bit iffy that we get it during the month of June.

I'm already imaging how annoyed Elon's going to be at all the Battery Day questions at the shareholder meeting if it hasn't happened by then.

Yes, I'm from the Netherlands myself, and the gas stations on freeways are more like rest stops. People spend 30 min there, there are food courts like the ones in the malls in the US. These are excellent locations for adding charging stations--I hope Tesla will add super chargers in these locations as well.

Also many European gas stations/rest stops have pretty darn good food, certainly far beyond what you would expect at an American equivalent.

I'm already imaging how annoyed Elon's going to be at all the Battery Day questions at the shareholder meeting if it hasn't happened by then.

Then maybe they do it before then......... :) I mean, seriously, it's the shareholder meeting....about the future of the company....and if the BD hasn't happened....WTF are we supposed to talk about.....it's in their best interest.

Reactions: Hytra
What's the general sentiment here about Battery Day at this point? We know the Shareholder meeting is a month from now. Do we think Battery Day will actually happen before the Shareholder meeting? It's beginning to feel a bit iffy that we get it during the month of June.

Elon has mentioned how he wanted to make sure there was enough of an audience. So maybe he will hold it the same week (perhaps the day after, or even *immediately* after) the Shareholders Meeting, which will be at the Computer History Museum. So he already has a venue booked. Why not keep using the venue? Unless he needs a venue like Hawthorne's Tesla Design Center where he can show vehicles and give test rides.

• Helpful
Reactions: Scuttlebutt
Elon has mentioned how he wanted to make sure there was enough of an audience. So maybe he will hold it the same week (perhaps the day after, or even *immediately* after) the Shareholders Meeting, which will be at the Computer History Museum. So he already has a venue booked. Why not keep using the venue? Unless he needs a venue like Hawthorne's Tesla Design Center where he can show vehicles and give test rides.

Elon wanted to show the pilot production line to the analyst/youtuber. Computer History Museum won't be it

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
I look at it differently -- basically just a timing artifact. Tesla built Giga Shanghai and Model Y production simultaneously in 2019 but Giga Shanghai only produced a few cars in December and Model Y production didn't begin until January, so neither generated significant revenue in 2019.

In other words, capex was spent in 2019 for Giga Shanghai and Model Y capacity that will generate significant revenue in 2020 and future years.

Put another way, in only one year auto unit capacity increased by 290K units (350K/year to 640K/year) with a very low capex spend. That's crazy efficient use of capital.

ES06RBBUcAApMGG
Thanks, that's helpful commentary. Capex spending is pretty lumpy, and details of timing matter.

Arguably the Shanghai investment was the most important investment made to secure performance in 2020. I like that Tesla's investments are becoming more diversified, especially geographically. There's nothing quite like a pandemic to show how important it is to manufacture in multiple regions.

Reactions: EinSV
Maybe someone mentioned something that I missed, but I'm surprised that I didn't see anyone mention that this trip could potentially have been for their application to become an energy provider in the UK. I'm sure that there are a lot of intricacies that go into that kind of application, especially when virtual power plants are to be utilized.
I think that is a strong possibility knowing Tesla has already applied to become a electricity generator in the UK. Plus considering UK for a right hand drive only factory which would avoid having to use existing assembly lines.

It is primarily,but not exclusively, to sell into the 2.2M-2.5M vehicles per year UK Automotive car market behind a 10% tariff wall.

If you are British would you rather have a British built Tesla or Audi/Mercedes/BMW/Alfa Romeo/DS etc for 10% more?

The only premium competition for Tesla behind that tariff wall would be Jaguar Land Rover.

Thanks, Didn't know about the tariff thing. Nor did I realize the British market was that big. It's not like they're a real country or anything! (sarcasm) Graduated from Lakenheath American High school, great part of my life.

Reactions: RobStark
Then maybe they do it before then......... :) I mean, seriously, it's the shareholder meeting....about the future of the company....and if the BD hasn't happened....WTF are we supposed to talk about.....it's in their best interest.

I really can't see them doing battery day on the day of the shareholder meeting. Just too much information and kinda overloading lots of very important information into a very small timeframe.

And if they do battery day after the shareholder meeting day, it's kinda of a black eye for Elon. Don't get me wrong, there's zero impact on business of Tesla as to whether battery day is this month, July, or Aug. But man Elon, I'd stop giving any future guidance on when you'll show off stuff. ;)

Like you said, if battery day hasn't happened before the shareholder meeting, practically every topic and discussion brought up at the shareholder meeting is going to do with battery day.

The half glass full way I look at it is, maybe battery day will have game changing battery advancements(we know it will) THAT are actually coming into production this year(through S/X) and more vehicles early next year and the market will realize the huge potential and the shares rally......and thus Elon has given me(us) an extra month to accumulate shares(which I've been doing)