Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
maxresdefault1.jpg

The whole market seems like a big setup right now tbh. BTW I’m on a family road trip and holy *sugar* there are so many trucks, huge potential obviously but sometimes seeing it yourself gives you a completely different perspective. Cheers.
Yep, lotsa big trucks on highways. All will be moving along autonomously soon enough.

20 years is a long time. If Tesla's vehicle production grows 50% every year they will reach 80 million per year in about 12 years.
If tesla grows 50% for less than 10 years the ICE vehicle will no longer be built. Period. Maybe the ultra-luxury brands have the old farts keeping them in business just because all their lives they wanted a car they could never buy.
Your number is not that simple...if 50% growth a year is being accomplished there is more than just the reasons we have causing buying of Teslas now. ADAS (Advanced Driver Assistance Systems) will be the primer mover. And there will be the robotaxi service which causes car sales to plummet.

Regardless of whether that leaked email is legit or not, I personally couldn’t be happier if they go all-in with the Semi production! I was disappointed when they mentioned (in the Q1 letter, I think) that the Semi program gets pushed to next year.

And here’s why: the Semi would be one of the best ambassadors for Tesla, maybe more so than the 3 and the Y! At the moment, Tesla is still seen by a significant segment of the public (and, implicitly, by some in the investment community) as a “toy for the rich” or at a minimum as a purchase that only makes sense to the crazy Tesla fanboys and/or eco virtue signallers. As in, people who need a “proper” car won’t buy that overpriced, impractical, poorly-manufactured EV that one has to wait hours for to recharge. The Semi would go a long way to change that perception. Because large businesses don’t make CapEx decisions based on what’s “cool” or “trendy”, but rather on what makes business (TCO) sense! So once we start seeing CEOs of Fortune500 companies but also SME owners extol the cost benefits of the Tesla Semi, and truck drivers bragging about driving one of the new “electrics” that allow them to sit back and relax while on highways, and grinning ear to ear when mentioning how they merge from on-ramps and overtake with a fully loaded trailer like it’s nothing, we might witness a massive shift in perception towards what Tesla actually managed to accomplish.