Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So i guess the elephant in the room is "At these levels, who's adding to their holdings?"

I have some funds coming in later this morning. I was ok buying more in the low to mid 900's......but that was based on the idea that the Semi would not be in production until this time next year. So that changes things.

I am going to wait until after the Fed briefing in a couple of hours though in case there's a negative market reaction

Reactions: Eugene Ash
A stockpile of cells from known production volume could never be big enough to start meaningful semi production without impacting car production. I think this announcement indicates a huge ramping of cell production volumes, now or in the near future.

They were making ~1,000 Model 3/Y packs a day right? If those were evenly split between the SR+ and LR packs that would be enough cells for about 88 Semi packs per day that were 750 kWh is size. If they stockpiled that for a month that would mean they could make ~2,600 Semis. That is potentially $520,000,000 of revenue. That seems meaningful to me; even if they were only to be used internally. (Not that I think Tesla needs 2,600 Semis for their own use.)

Last edited:
OK, to be honest, it's not rocket science to make one electric car.

The issue is that OEMs were late in getting their supply chain in order to build multiple electric cars, similar to competitors not being able to source chips and touchscreens because Apple had paid suppliers to build factories to make touchscreens and chips.

Additionally, we have a software company building a car, similar to a software and hardware company building a smartphone.

We're not asking OEM's to build one electric car. We are asking them to build many electric cars, using state of the art user-friendly software people have learned to expect in their consumer devices. Just like helicopter surveillance companies feel the effects of easy to get and control drones, camera companies feeling the effects of smartphones, or brick and mortar stores and even mail-order companies feel the effect of Amazon.

For a good reason, car companies were car companies. Now car companies need to regrow themselves into software companies, and they're learning the hard way that software works differently and much much faster, and the star developers are hard to get by and technologies emerge and die within less than 5 years.
Yes. I love your post
BUT
we are not dealing in Ice Vehicles replacing Horses which was the example used to argue how fast BEV's will Replace ICE's. An appropriate analogy would be Apples to Orandroids. Apple figured out the software FIRST, and the next company could do it alot easier/faster (though argumentatively not as good, but good enough).

Waiting for the other shoe to drop! Will he announce a new factory this week? I hope next week to maintain steady pressure up to 1200.

It's great isn't it. There's so many items implicit with semi ramping. New battery tech (weightreduction), huge battery scaling (rumoured 1MWh per long range truck). New production lines/factories. Megachargers.

Exciting times.

They 100% would need a factory somewhere, since there is a lot of heavy, weather sensitive equipment/people who would assemble the Semi's. And the Semi are painted, so they have to have a paint factory that is large enough to fit the cab. For the material, I don't recall it ever being listed.
Some thoughts:
  • A Sprung structure (tent) would suffice at first, Tesla has proven this with GA4 at Fremont.
  • Paint can be applied to the mold for composite construction (think of the way gelcoat is sprayed on the inside of a 1-piece mold for a boat hull)
  • That doesn't require a paint shop, just a large autoclave-style oven to cure the composite/resin mix
  • Where could such a large oven be obtained on short notice? Hmm, if only we knew a guy...;)
Carbon fiber oven at Port of Los Angeles.jpg

Oh yeah, that's right! In Sep 2018, Elon/SpaceX had that old 'carbon-starship' production plan using a Sprung structure at the Port of Los Angeles (likely CRFP so no paintshop req'd).

Trucking companies working at the Port of Los Angeles (and other ports) are likely to be some of the largest purchasers of the standard range Semi, for use as day cabs moving containers within the Port itself (a large use case, and nearly recession proof).

Further, California has a large incentive for the purchase of such trucks, as well as a new legal requirement for shipping companies to switch to ZEVs.

California Readies $398-Million Green Truck Incentive Package | trucks.com

It's okay. Elon has a plan... ;)

Cheers!

.... and NKLA continues to fall. 13% and counting. I may need to short this thing now. :) I was hoping the hype machine would take it to $100. Que Sera Sera.
I tried to short NKLA yesterday and ETrade told me there were no shares available to borrow. I tried again today and ETrade said they were "Hard to Borrow", but I was able to short 100 shares at $70. We'll see what happens...

So i guess the elephant in the room is "At these levels, who's adding to their holdings?"

I don't understand this kind of thinking. You are on a board mostly full of informed TSLA investors. Most of us bought so much at lower levels that our portfolios would not be considered diversified or balanced. As the price rises, this situation (happily) becomes more pronounced. Our portfolios are more unbalanced than ever. Some of us can handle the portfolio volatility this encourages, others will re-balance. I haven't done any rebalancing with this rise because I know how that can dramatically impact future returns in a negative manner but I would be more likely to sell at these prices than buy. And not because I'm not confident it will rise much higher in the future.

Why would we buy even more as the price rises? My last purchase was at the $360 level.