Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A click-baity headline, but a pretty reasonable article under that (warning, CNBC):

Tesla: 'Wait for the inevitable pullback' to buy, trader says

“If you’re buying in Tesla, you shouldn’t be trading it. You should be in it for the long term because you think electronic cars are the way of the future and you’re thinking about this stock 10 years from now, not 10 days from now,” he said. “So, you have to just deal with the fact that there will be volatility in a name like this.”

And the catalysts are aligning for that strategy to work, Petrides said.

“Their competitors in the traditional auto market are now going to be behind the eight ball in getting into the electric car, and this was supposed to be a big window of opportunity where they were going to start rolling out more cars,” he said. “They’re hemorrhaging sales. Now, they have to take all this money to basically repair the fort, so, they can’t ... become a challenger against Tesla. So, I think the first-mover advantage that Tesla has only becomes greater in this environment.”

I don't understand what the big deal is for this. The car used to do this without me pressing the stock. Should be the easiest to implement before eoq.
I know what you are saying, but previously a Tesla would follow another vehicle through an intersection regardless of the color of the light.
Now, it will stop on red or proceed on green with a lead car (will also stop on green with no lead car if you do not confirm, this is the last/ hardest scenario to solve).

Edit for completeness: It would also drive through an intersection without any regard for traffic control devices. It would only start from a stop if there were a car in front of it, so they also need to add starting on a red to green transition with no lead car.

Last edited:
way for them to go out on a limb :rolleyes:

Well, let's be fair to them and look at their historical view on the stock (latest chart I could get hold of...)

rb-chart-1024x426.png

Tesla releases new solar panel, slashes prices - Electrek

'For comparison, in California, Tesla previously listed a 7.56 kW medium-size solar system for $19,500 or $2.58 per watt before incentives, and $14,430 after the federal tax credit.

With the new solar panels, which are 10% more powerful according to a source familiar with the matter, Tesla’s medium-size solar system outputs now 8.16 kW and it costs just $16,000 before incentives or $1.96 per watt.'

Thanks for the news. I was planning on waiting until next year, but this pushed me over the edge. Just placed my order for a Medium system :D

I don't know enough about the details of the market, but I wonder if this pre-market rise on a triple-witching day (quadruple?) is engineered by the MMs to entice retail buyers into the stock. The MMs are going to be pushing down to max pain today anyway, so they might as well steal a bunch of unsuspecting retail investor's money while they do it, right?

Last edited:
A click-baity headline, but a pretty reasonable article under that (warning, CNBC):

Tesla: 'Wait for the inevitable pullback' to buy, trader says

“If you’re buying in Tesla, you shouldn’t be trading it. You should be in it for the long term because you think electronic cars are the way of the future and you’re thinking about this stock 10 years from now, not 10 days from now,” he said. “So, you have to just deal with the fact that there will be volatility in a name like this.”

And the catalysts are aligning for that strategy to work, Petrides said.

“Their competitors in the traditional auto market are now going to be behind the eight ball in getting into the electric car, and this was supposed to be a big window of opportunity where they were going to start rolling out more cars,” he said. “They’re hemorrhaging sales. Now, they have to take all this money to basically repair the fort, so, they can’t ... become a challenger against Tesla. So, I think the first-mover advantage that Tesla has only becomes greater in this environment.”
What's an electronic car?

It sounds like we may be close to a coast-to-coast drive? :oops:

Despite the delay this would be an exciting accomplishment.

The cars are already capable of a Coast-to-Coast drive. The last time I remember hearing Elon mention this he said something to the effect that he didn't want it to be simply a publicity "stunt", which it kind of would be at this stage of the technology (at least with the technology that is currently in our cars, at least those of us with FSD). He probably regrets talking up the impending Coast-to-Coast drive but I think when it comes it will not just be a publicity "stunt". Someone will still need to be there to plug in the Superchargers of course until they install robotic ones (which I suspect is at least 5 years away).

Indeed, SEDG is as strong a performer as TSLA. They are my two largest positions.
BTW, SolarCity has acquired and is developing an EV power component supplier business. So they are branching out from power components for solar and batteries to autos. I view this as a positive for an emerging EV supply chain and as a huge addressable market for the inverter maker.

Perhaps the biggest investment theme in my portfolio is that the nexus of solar, battery and EVs will come to dominate energy and auto markets. The addressable market is several 10s of trillions of dollars. So both Tesla and SolarEdge are strong players in this space.

I usually buy Friday at close and it nearly always is a good play. I’m tempted to go in deep EOD Friday but will be watching COVID / Macros carefully before pulling the trigger this time around.

Bloomberg: Quadruple witching set to add fuel to month of stock turbulence.
Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

"If history is any guide, investors may need to get ready for a market pullback or a wider trading range, McElligott warned. Since 1994, the options expiration in June has seen stocks falling 88% of the time over the following week, with the S&P 500 sliding 1.2% on average, the firm’s data showed."

I don't understand this article, but thought I'd share since options is discussed frequently here. I play the "buy the Friday dip" angle too sometimes, so I feel the above quote might be worth considering for those who dabble in day trading in addition to their long positions.

Used to own a chunk, until Tesla said they would use their own inverters. But they never did :(
Tesla only outsources when suppliers can really deliver. So this actually speaks well for the level of competition in the PV/battery inverter space. Enphase is a strong competitor too. The world needs a deep bench of talent in this supply chain.

Quoting my own post because I thought the late buying AH yesterday was potentially because of an upgrade but did not expect this lol. 240 to 275 folks, that’s a nearly 15% upside :)

JP MORGAN RAISES TARGET PRICE TO $275 FROM $240
14.5% increase in one day. At this rate JPM will value Tesla at over $1,600 a share in just two weeks.

Bullish